Chat Need a New Window ? Expensive or Not? Need major help

katiemay

:mad:
So after my prefect ride with the audi i thought my problems wer behind me with the last disaster i had

went shopping put my baby in the car went round to let myself in and the car had locked with my phone keys and baby inside on a baking hot day :confused::mad:

my main concern was getting in the car to get my baby as she was crying and i was getting real scared
managed to smash my small rear window on the passengers side and hook my keys to get in

now i need to get this fixed but dont have a clue on windows
does anyone know roughly how much it is to repair?
just so i dont get mugged off

one mechanic told me £100 plus
but i think this is too expensive

other then that my car is perfect no problems so im happy :D

Sorry to hear this news, I have seen this happen before and its not a nice experience.

Which window as it? Was it a door window or the rear window that is above rear wheel / boot area? I cant comment on price I am afraid but the ease of replacement will help inform on costs.

As for cause of this issue, when you open the door in mention after unlocking the car does the interior light come on and if the ignition is turned on does the dash indicate the door is open? Quite often the microswitches and connections in the door lock fail so the car does not see a door being opened after unlocking it so as a fail safe it auto locks again. Identifying this issue should hopefully prevent further instances of it happening again.

Perhaps your insurance will cove rthe glass for a small excess without impacting on your no claims?

If you had to buy a new genuine glass thats probally about right, but if you can source a second hand glass, (make sure the tint is the same), id say around £30 at the most to replace a bonded screen, my advice is to ring a couple of local companys that do car windscreens like Autoglass ect and ask for the sake of a few minute call how much they would charge you if you popped in with the replacement glass to rebond the rear quarter light glass.

So glad the little un was ok. What a scary experience for you. Well done for keeping calm and getting it sorted so quickly.

I've got some on the breaker but I'm not sure how to remove them. I'm willing to give it a go. Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this news, I have seen this happen before and its not a nice experience.

Which window as it? Was it a door window or the rear window that is above rear wheel / boot area? I cant comment on price I am afraid but the ease of replacement will help inform on costs.

As for cause of this issue, when you open the door in mention after unlocking the car does the interior light come on and if the ignition is turned on does the dash indicate the door is open? Quite often the microswitches and connections in the door lock fail so the car does not see a door being opened after unlocking it so as a fail safe it auto locks again. Identifying this issue should hopefully prevent further instances of it happening again.

Perhaps your insurance will cove rthe glass for a small excess without impacting on your no claims?

hi thanks for everyones replys

its the small window in front of the side mirrors
thought it would be less costly to smash that one instead of smashing one of this big ones

and paul i will check out that light and let you know
ill give my insurance a call and find out, worth a try i suppose

Trade use a jigsaw like tool but it has a thin end on it like one of those extendable stanley knifes where you can snap the end off to get a fresh edge again , remove all interior trim and use a plastice extendable stanley knife with the blade pulled out about 2inches from the front, place masking tape on the inside of the glass all the way round pushed under the edge all the way round and out a few inches as so to not scratch glass and lightly push into the gap between glass and alloy edge and push add presure with a little wiggle till it works it way through the adhesive, then slowly make jigsaw action and work your way around the glass , id also advise putting duck tape ect around the outside of the car so when youv cut all the way round it doesnt just fall to the ground and smash

Thanks for that mate. Sounds like a challenge and I like learning new things.

Katie let me know if you need the part and i'll do my best to get it out.

:mad:
So after my prefect ride with the audi i thought my problems wer behind me with the last disaster i had

went shopping put my baby in the car went round to let myself in and the car had locked with my phone keys and baby inside on a baking hot day :confused::mad:

my main concern was getting in the car to get my baby as she was crying and i was getting real scared
managed to smash my small rear window on the passengers side and hook my keys to get in

now i need to get this fixed but dont have a clue on windows
does anyone know roughly how much it is to repair?
just so i dont get mugged off

one mechanic told me £100 plus
but i think this is too expensive

other then that my car is perfect no problems so im happy :D

this happened to my wife 6 years ago on a cold wintery day at the lochs after she put her car keys down next to the baby seat and forgot to pick them back up, closed the back door and by the time she got round to the drivers side the auto lock kicked in. she had to phone the fire brigade as she was in a panic who came to her rescue and smashed the quarter panel on rear drivers side.

i do know its around £70 for front windscreen through insurance. so im assuming that other side windows will cost less!

cammy

If you are opening only one door after unlocking with the remote, make 100% sure it is the driver's door.

The car with otherwise lock itself again within 2 minutes as a failsafe against you accidentally unlocking - for example as a "pocket unlock".
Personally, I have my plastic key with me in my wallet, but that doesn't help if you're dropping everything inside because you need two hands free.

I don't like lanyards but do use them on occasion when I have keys I cannot afford to lock in (like our storage, where it would be €50+ to get the caretaker to come out and re-open it, and it would take time) so they're hanging off my neck and can't drop. I also try very hard to keep putting keys in exactly the same place every time (or other small objects, like lens caps) because then I'm not hunting for them.

A point, though, while we're here: adding too much weight onto your keys is also a surefire way to medium-term destroy the lock on the binnacle. Keeping the weight down is an extremely good idea. So if you're using a lanyard, disconnect if when you put the key in the lock.

- Bret

Thanks for that mate. Sounds like a challenge and I like learning new things.

Katie let me know if you need the part and i'll do my best to get it out.

hi steve

if you can get the part that would be amazing and save me alot of money!

btw this car is amazing :)

If you are opening only one door after unlocking with the remote, make 100% sure it is the driver's door.

The car with otherwise lock itself again within 2 minutes as a failsafe against you accidentally unlocking - for example as a "pocket unlock".
Personally, I have my plastic key with me in my wallet, but that doesn't help if you're dropping everything inside because you need two hands free.

I don't like lanyards but do use them on occasion when I have keys I cannot afford to lock in (like our storage, where it would be €50+ to get the caretaker to come out and re-open it, and it would take time) so they're hanging off my neck and can't drop. I also try very hard to keep putting keys in exactly the same place every time (or other small objects, like lens caps) because then I'm not hunting for them.

A point, though, while we're here: adding too much weight onto your keys is also a surefire way to medium-term destroy the lock on the binnacle. Keeping the weight down is an extremely good idea. So if you're using a lanyard, disconnect if when you put the key in the lock.

- Bret

sorry

plastic key???

hi steve

if you can get the part that would be amazing and save me alot of money!

btw this car is amazing :)

I'll give it a go. Just to confirm you require the passenger side front quarter window, the small one closest to the wing mirror?

Cars were originally supplied with three keys. Two remote ones and one small plastic key which fits in the physical lock barrel on the driver's door (where remote was fitted at the factory, the passenger door does not have a lock barrel).

The plastic key blade is the same size as the one for the remote key, with the upper section being around 20mm x 10mm in size. You should be able to get one from a dealer.

- Bret

A2steve you may find the front one a bit of a mission due to the tight space and dash in the way, ive done many of these over the years and its not that hard, i think its just a black pu sealer they use and also to make life easier as mentioned earlier extend blade out a few inches and keep it flush , flat to the glass, masking tape so the tip/cutting edge does not to scratch the glass..

katie if you or a friend is brave enough you can fit the glass yourself for about £10, its not hard at all just go slow and be carefull not to cut yourself on the broken glass, advise wearing thick gardening gloves. all you need is some fine wire wool, 2" masking tape and a tube of tiger seal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIGER-SEA...577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2355503a81

Bassically clean off the glass with the wire wool so no old glue or gunk , wear a mask or be carefull not to breath in the dust
break away any left over glass around the edges as best u can then use a stanley knife carefully same process as i explained to steve to remove old glass , it dose not matter if theres any black sealer left around the edge if under say 1mm as wont hurt saves digging into the paint on the edge too much , then clean off the lip and arround where the glass fits and wait till dry. then put a bead all the way around in the center of the lip , say the size of a micky dee's straw and gently push the new glass into place , youl notice the tiger seal will spread evenly once its about right check n wiggle about so it matches how the glass fits on the other side of the car , gaps , location ect and then just tape arround withe the 2" masking tape , leave this on till the next day and your done all fixed, just one note take a white peice of paper out to the car open a door and hold on one side of the glass as may be clear or tinted and check the one steve has is the same as it will look really bad if its wrong and stick out like a soar thumb , anyways good luck
Gary

A2steve you may find the front one a bit of a mission due to the tight space and dash in the way, ive done many of these over the years and its not that hard, i think its just a black pu sealer they use and also to make life easier as mentioned earlier extend blade out a few inches and keep it flush , flat to the glass, masking tape so the tip/cutting edge does not to scratch the glass..

katie if you or a friend is brave enough you can fit the glass yourself for about £10, its not hard at all just go slow and be carefull not to cut yourself on the broken glass, advise wearing thick gardening gloves. all you need is some fine wire wool, 2" masking tape and a tube of tiger seal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIGER-SEA...577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2355503a81

Bassically clean off the glass with the wire wool so no old glue or gunk , wear a mask or be carefull not to breath in the dust
break away any left over glass around the edges as best u can then use a stanley knife carefully same process as i explained to steve to remove old glass , it dose not matter if theres any black sealer left around the edge if under say 1mm as wont hurt saves digging into the paint on the edge too much , then clean off the lip and arround where the glass fits and wait till dry. then put a bead all the way around in the center of the lip , say the size of a micky dee's straw and gently push the new glass into place , youl notice the tiger seal will spread evenly once its about right check n wiggle about so it matches how the glass fits on the other side of the car , gaps , location ect and then just tape arround withe the 2" masking tape , leave this on till the next day and your done all fixed, just one note take a white peice of paper out to the car open a door and hold on one side of the glass as may be clear or tinted and check the one steve has is the same as it will look really bad if its wrong and stick out like a soar thumb , anyways good luck
Gary

hey gary

thanks alot
might be worth having a go
but i defo cant do something like that lol

ill get my husband to have a go
but thanks for everyones help!
:)

steve any luck?

Hi Katie

Bad news I'm afraid, I cracked the glass while trying to remove it :-( sorry.

I've noticed that there are ones available on eBay though for £25, not as cheap as I would have done it but may be worth looking into.

Back