New 1.6fsi owner as of today...

dibbers

...hi all, finally convinced mrs dibbers to "downsize" to the long admired A2.

we looked at 3 across the north of england today, and have plumped for what seems a fairly sparse - but with good history - cobalt blue 2003 1.6fsi.

do you strongly recommend a warranty on such an engine - its a 1 owner car with documented 73k...

i'm sure we'll be plaguing you shortly with questions etc - after using the search function of course!

here's to happy motoring :D

We have a 1.6 fsi....i got a warranty with Warranty Direct the day after i bought it for the wife....and a year later the head went...saved me around £2000 in the end, so I say yes...other may disagree :)
The Plastic in the original water pump broke which twisted the belt which broke the head which bent 3 valves :(......but runs like a dream now.

If I had any advice for new 1.6 FSI owners is check the water pump, check the belt and check all pipes for rubber degradation.

Other than that it is a great and nippy car.

Happy Motoring

Welcome to the A2oc and soon to be A2 ownership.

Something to bear in mind the site search function can be hard to get on with. Bringing up a huge amount of hits. The easiest way is to search on google but just the a2oc site like this

"search term" site:www.a2oc.net eg. Heated mirrors site:www.a2oc.net

I hope this helps and happy reading here:) there is plenty to keep you busy.

Cheers

David

Welcome to the club.

Recommending a warranty us very subjective. its an insurance policy like any other with graded premiums according to the scope of coverage.
If you want some limited peace of mind, its a great idea. The FSI is a car that I have never driven, but owners love it while reporting a higher incidence of electrical niggles than the 1.4 or TDi respectively.

If you have a fully documented history I would spend time finding out the range of 'issues' owners have experienced then check your paperwork to see if its been repaired/replaced already.

Coil packs are a common gremlin on the FSi and your cambelt should have been replaced by now so as draggon suggests, check the water pump was done too.

If its recorded and all rosy you maybe better placed to take the risk every car buyer faces - mitigated by the one owner heritage and full history.

A parallel example is that we pay forty quid a month to insure our home utilities/appliances against breakdown or damage and I'm happy to pay this for peace if mind. Some years I need it and it pays for itself. Others it doesn't.

Same goes for your new motor. If you are new to Audi, the FSi engine and aren't handy with spanners - a warranty could make good sense for you. As always, shop around and read the small print to see what's included/excluded.

Cheers, Murdo

Last edited:
thanks all - warranty added at point of purchase, think it is wise. have seen some mixed opinions on the 1.6, so i'll be putting experiences up in due course.

oh, and of course, pictures - everybody loves pictures, don't they...

Good luck with the A2, I bought my 1.6FSI last January and took the precautions already mentioned i.e. change the belts, the water pump etc,,its well worth the smallish investment. As for the car I went for the FSI due to its technical spec (first petrol direct injection engine so I've read) which seemed more in keeping with the aluminium advanced body structure than diesel and also because I cant live with a manual gearbox and diesels due to the mimimal RPM range these offer (cue lots of moans from the diesel heads). I like to enjoy driving the car as much as saving money on fuel. Its a great little number, sprightly and has no issues keeping up with more apparently powerful cars, plus the size is a big advantage where I live, letting me make progress where a bigger car wont make it. BTW mine came with 12 months warranty from a Lexus dealer and apart from an initial fault that was there when I took delivery (and didnt therefore need the warranty as it was still their responsibility) I havent had to call upon it (I hope Im not tempting fate with that statement!).
Keith

Carisma by name, certainly wasn't charisma by nature - that was a dull car!
But you're right that was the first mass-produced Gasoline Direct Injection engine, but the Fuel Stratified Injection technology that Audi brought to mass market is kind of like a GDI Mk2.

In the UK you should have bought a Mitsubishi Carisma 1.8GDI which pre-dates the A2 FSI by about 6 years, Direct Injection on a petrol may have been available elsewhere before that!

well....we're back on the lookout for another one. the car mentioned above has been rejected and returned to the (fantastic) independant dealer as a result of 5 trips to garage, and aa visit, and 5 days of "quarantine" within a little over 2wks.

essentially the car was used for 10 miles only, then the engine management light came on. it won't "rev" freely and has some (major) fuel restriction onboard. both fuel regulators, fuel pump, coils, plugs, leads and many more have been replaced, and short of the ecu, i have agreed to help the supplying dealer cut their losses and they will have the car back.

it is a real shame - although it has not been driven in earnest, one can tell how much fun they are and i defintely wanting another (working) one.

will be back soon when i've made a choice between another SE or a Sport...

ps - i appreciate theres a lot of glass being lifted, but are all tailgates really that heavy?

Back