New A2 owner from Finland

jarmoke

Hi,

We have had Audi A2 1.4TDI (I think colour is Jaipur Red?) as a second car in our family just under two weeks. I'm quite interested to read and learn about that car, because it is already 12 years old and I think I try to do as much as possible by myself what needs to be serviced/repaired. This site seems to be very good also for that purpose because many of you have done a lot of things by yourselves and it really seems you are willing to help others with their problems. (Ok, there is full service history for over 200 000 km driven car, so I think services based on service program will be done in some official service.)

What is needed with car in future? Well, at least rear brake drums needs to be changed at some point, and I need to keep on look dampers and linkages and/or bushes in the front of the car.

BTW, I already did write one message to forum, but if I remember correctly there was a message that it needs to be checked by administrator before it can be published. I wonder when this will happen :)

At the last, english is not my native language so try to understand and please ask clarification if there is something you do not understand in my future postings...

Welcome! Jaipur Red is a nice colour! Do tell us more about your car.
There are a couple of other forum members from Finland on this forum so I'm sure they'll be along to provide you with some local assistance!

Welcome Jarmoke! Your English is excellent as it is usually the case for most Scandinavians I came across!

Your car has a great colour, it is also very rare. I like it, but the usual interior colour combination for it is beige/light brown and it isn't to my taste. Plenty of A2s have covered many kms and miles. If you intend to do most things yourself, I'd suggest you first get to know this forum, which you have done :). Then get hold of the service manual and parts catalogue. They are called ElsaWin and ETKA, available from your friendly peer 2 peer network or pay for access via http://erwin.audi.com/ Then the old VAGCOM or VCDS diagnostic tool will come in handy if you encounter any faults reported by the car's electrical systems. Finally, enjoy the driving!

Congratulations with your new A2.
From experience living in the North I would suggest checking that the boot light comes on when the door opens. It makes the world of difference when you need to find whatever is in the boot.
Also upgrading the interior lights to LED lights really makes the interior so much nicer on a cold dark day.

I would also check that the headlights are decent bulbs. My car had some GE H7 bulbs and they did not provide enough light. After switching to Osram Night Breaker Plus night driving became so much more comfortable.

Out of interest which tyres do you have on your A2? Do you use spiked tyres and if so which ones?

From my limited experience the A2 is great to drive on snow and ice!

Humps: Finland are Nordic not Scandinavian. Everyone gets along well but it can be a touchy subject (especially in Norway).... :p

John

Thank you for warm welcome :)

Yes, I did buy diagnostic tool, as it fits to our other car (Octavia) as well. I already did run diag and find out quite many faults. I deleted all faults and two of them returned almost immediatelly. I'm working with them, trying to find out if something needs to be done, and how to do it.

00818 - Sensor for Evaporator Outlet Temperature (G263)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus
-> My car has Left hand steering so I should be able to change sensor without dashboard removal, as I luckily happen to have quite small hands :)

01320 - Control Module for Climatronic (J255)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
-> Well, I really do not know if there is anything I can do with this. I try to look cables and connections behing the module in dashboard (actually I could measure G263 sensor at the same). But I do not know if this fault disturbs anything at all, a lot of cars seems to have this fault...

I need to re-scan my car after I have some more kilometers driven after removal of faults.

About my winter tyres, I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 tyres (with spikes). As the car is quite small, and Nokian tyres are not the most quitetest ones I'm a bit surprised that there is less noise inside A2 than our Octavia. Nice :)

I also have changed temp sensor (4 pin green) and thermostat, and now temp is 90 when driving. It used to be about 80-85 earlier. Actually I noticed afterwards from car papers that temp sensor has been changed already last autumn... Ok, now I do have a spare temp sensor...

I ordered Meyle links and ARB bushes as parts are not expensive and I have understood from this forum that Meyle products are high quality parts. I most propably will change them even I do not hear any extra sounds from the front of the car. Do I need to rent a garage where I can lift whole car, or is it possible to change them by lifting only the front of the car, both tyres up front the ground of cource? If it is, where can I lift the the car, from both sides behind front tyres or...?

What else have I done..Thanks for your tip, John, but I already changed bulbs to headlights. I installed automation so that lights are on even light switch is in off-position. This is because it is illegal to drive without driving lights and I do not remember to switch lights on manually... I also ordered rubber mats to inside and trunk, new style windscreen washers (+ needed parts) and door check strap to drivers door. I need to find out more about updating led lights to interior...

Great forum, I've already learnt a lot from you guys :)

Last edited:
Back