New A2 owner in Herefordshire

Ken Long

Hi!
Thought I'd quickly introduce myself, and our A2.
My name is Ken and we picked up our first A2 about two weeks ago. It's a 2001 1.4TDI in Silver. It had 102k miles on the clock when we picked it up and had been a one owner car for pretty much it's entire life (6 months as a demonstrator for Cardiff Audi, but then sold to its one other owner).
We were looking for a small, efficient car primarily for my wife to drive during the day. After looking at the usual suspects, and some slightly more unusual ones (Fiat Panda 100hp anyone?) we were being drawn to A2s. We looked at a couple reasonably local to us, and although we liked the concept, the cars themselves were iffy. So we ended up going a bit further afield to look at the one we have eventually bought.
It is booked in for a service this month, and the CV joints and boots (MoT advisories) are being done at the same time.
Thus far we're really pleased with our choice. It's fun to drive, frugal (68.5 mpg actual) and interesting.
I will have questions about bits and pieces I'm sure (first one to check stereo fitting coming up!) so looking forward to tapping in to the A2OC hivemind...

Attachments

• A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 93
Welcome and good choice of car. I once had a Panda 100hp, good fun car but not a patch on the A2. You will find that we are a happy helpful bunch. Why not join us for the end of season meal at Silverstone 19th Nov, to meet and chat all things A2.

PS A cautionary word. It is not advisory to fit aftermarket stereos to these cars. The main electronic guru is @timmus who can fit many things and advise accordingly.
Anything other than the OEM Concert/Chorus looks pretty naff, in an A2 imo. While you ponder the technicalities of fitting a Concert/Chorus II in place of your first generation Concert, get a good Bluetooth adapter, fitted to your current radio, while placing a wanted post on the marketplace for a second generation item. The Bluetooth adapter will fit the generation two Concert/Chorus too.
Mac.

Anything other than the OEM Concert/Chorus looks pretty naff, in an A2 imo. While you ponder the technicalities of fitting a Concert/Chorus II in place of your first generation Concert, get a good Bluetooth adapter, fitted to your current radio, while placing a wanted post on the marketplace for a second generation item. The Bluetooth adapter will fit the generation two Concert/Chorus too.
Mac.
Sadly the current unit is no great shakes. The display is just random dots and the volume control doesn't seem to effect the volume, it's just very loud or exceptionally loud.
If I can get an Audi OEM head unit that will take a BT adaptor for reasonable money then I would prefer to do that but we'll have to see.

It sounds like your Concert 1 has fallen prey to both the common faults with that generation. A secondhand replacement might be OK for a while but for the money you may as well get a second-generation one and the CANBUS extension put it. Talk to @timmus about having him do this for you, no-one knows their way around the electronics of the A2 like he does.

Back