New A2 Owner. Very Proud Bought for the wife.

Just Like to introduce us to all in the forum. Yesterday after months of looking we finally bought an A2 for the wife. Its a Y Plate car its a lot older than we would have liked but we bought on the colour and external and internal condition. We wanted to spend between 2-3k and out of all we viewed this was by far in the best condition. But having said that its not with out its faults but I am sure you guys will be able to assist me with these soon.

Its had quite a few owners, so one is wondering if any of you might know the car. Its reg is Y962 AET and we bought it from a dealer in Stockport. We live in Newcastle. Would be interested to hear from any one who knows this car. Its orange in colour and to be honest I never seen another in this shade. I wonder if it was a special order or just not a popular choice.

Looking forward to the ownership and getting it up to tip top condition. I need a few bits but I will post this in the correct section of the forum.

Regards

Marcel-Anthony.

Hi Marcel-Anthony, and welcome to the club. :)

Your A2's colour is called Jaipur Red (yes, that's right, the people at Audi think that's a shade of red!). It was not a special order, but was only available for the first two years of the A2's production run, during which time very few A2s were sold. As such, it's rare as hens teeth, and plenty of forum folk (myself included) love it! :)

Let us know about any issues with the car and solutions will (hopefully!) be provided.

Cheers,

Tom

Welcome!
It's a great colour, very distinctive! What can you tell us about your car? Diesel or petrol? Sport or SE? You say you have some problems, what are they? We can help!

welcome to the best forum in the world!!! :)

this is a question i would like to know so can anyone tell me why people blank out the registration numbers and why marcel has included his within his intro??? just want to know if he and also i should be taking any precautions if i post my number plate in the near future.

would also like to know your spec :)

cheers

cammy

this is a question i would like to know so can anyone tell me why people blank out the registration numbers and why marcel has included his within his intro??? just want to know if he and also i should be taking any precautions if i post my number plate in the near future.

cheers

cammy

Hi,

Some people prefer to keep their number plate private, it is possible for someone to get a set of number plates made for a similar A2 with your number on, I guess.

But I don't feel it is necessary, each to their own.

Your number is on public display wherever you go and so hiding it on here is not essential.
But I guess it is visible to many people who might be trawling the web.

So it is up to each of us to do what we feel is correct.

I am glad that some people don't hide their numbers when advertising their cars, because if I am genuinely interested I can run a car check before I waste my time.

So whatever you feel comfortable with Cammy.

Steve B

Thanks for all the comments.

The car is a 1.4 SE with 103k,

With the faults I was going to draft something and post in the other sections. When we got to the dealers and had a general look around the car the exterior for an older A2 was outstanding. Just before we had been viewing a 53 Plate 1.4 sport with full leather, looked ok in the photos but in reality it was in very poor condition. Every panel scratched and dented. But this one was almost mint and the wife fell in love with it. So really that as it we were having it no matter what.

The dealer was a great, just left us to it. I had been talking with him for a few times before we drove from Newcastle to Stockport to view.

Back to the Faults.

On inspection the engine had a sight tick, I checked the oil and it had not one drop in it. So we toped it up and started again. The car has done 100k so I was not expecting it to be perfect. On the test drive all was well, and we took it out for at least an hour. The tick got a lot better but you can still hear it on tick over and low revs. Going to get this checked. But to be honest this is the first small engine car we have ever had so I am sure what it should sound like. Do they all sound like this?

The main fault came when we got home, the drive back was great, and mpg was in the fifties. When we went to lock the car all hell broke lose with it. The leds on the door were blinking fast, side repeaters were flashing fast but they were dull as if the battery was going flat. There was a very fast switch/Relay type ticking noise coming from the dash.

I pressed the button to deactivate the interior alarm, just in case this had something to do with it and the button fell to pieces. I have now removed this. (Going to order a new one tomorrow(.

The only way I could get this to stop was to put the key in the ignition and start the car. But if I tried to lock it, it would start doing it all again.

Having read your forum, this morning I disconnected the battery had a fiddle with the CCU but did not disconnect it. Just made sure all was plugged in and tight and no water in the housing. Left it for about an hour reconnected the battery. It now locks but no leds for the alarm come on, so to be honest I am expecting the fault to return. So any ideas to what’s going on with this will be greatly received.

The other issues are (so far(, No Reversing lights and the central locking only opens the drivers door. To open the others you have to start the car, as you do it unlocks all the other doors.

Also when you turn the lights on the fogs come on. You have to pull the switch out as if to put the fogs on and push it back in to turn them off. I am guessing this is just a faulty light switch.

Hopefully these are common faults, but I am sure you guys can help me with this.

I have told the dealer, but I am not talking it back to them as it’s just too far, I am happy to sort it my end and work something out with the dealer. This way I know the work needed will be done properly.

I also need some centre caps and a cup holder for the front, mine is missing cup surround if any one has some let me know.

I would also like to put in the DIS with the clocks that have the silver surround. I know that some cars are pre wired to do this but is the A2? If so apart from the new clocks and stalk, what else would I need? It has the basic info system but really would like to upgrade this to full DIS.

Looking forward to your comments

Marcel-Anthony

cheers

cammy

I posted my reg as I am interested to find out if any of the forum members know of this car, as it has had several owners and you never know it might have been someone on here's old car. Did not really think about the security thing.

I posted my reg as I am interested to find out if any of the forum members know of this car, as it has had several owners and you never know it might have been someone on here's old car. Did not really think about the security thing.

Hi,

There are millions of cars on the road with their number plates on display, I am not sure that showing yours on here will be a security risk as such and it is useful in your case to enquire about previous owners.

So I wouldn't worry too much.

Steve B

I have got a 2001 Petrol 1.4 A2, with about the same mileage. I also have the ticking. From what I understood, this is quite normal around the lower revs. Especially when the car is cold. The ticking is from the hydraulic valve lifters. Isn't that true, you more experienced A2 owners?

Back