New A2 owner

Turzyx

Hi everyone,

Recently bought a 52 plate A2 1.4TDI Sport (75). It's definitely seen better days! 163k on the clock, alloys and bits of the paintwork are scratched to hell - got it for £700 off my dad.

First car in 4 years, switching from a motorbike. The weather is nice right now but the winters make it absolutely horrid.

Needs quite a bit doing to it, some pretty major, some bits are just annoying.

In no particular order (green = done)
Offside front inner CV boot split - Did this one on the weekend, was neglected for nearly a year so I replaced the whole joint.
Cambelt, tensioner, waterpump, fan belt - parts on order, this weekend's job. Dad "thinks" it was done at 90k, but no receipt - it's way overdue anyway. Anyone know if this engine is non-interference? :D
Full service - parts on order
Rear brake shoes - on order, advisory on last MOT for parking brake efficiency, dad doesn't know when/if they have ever been changed :rolleyes: hopefully this cures it.
Rear suspension top mounts - makes that bonging noise going over bumps, had the same from the front last year and this was the problem. Will check this out when I do the brakes to make sure it isn't a broken spring.
Leaking rocker cover - new one on order
Driver seat belt slow to retract - annoying, will pull the trim off and see what the deal is.
Nearside headlight lens deteriorated - needs to be sanded back & polished, had this on another car.

Got the MOT next month so I'm going to be busy!

Anyway, pleasure to meet you all & speak soon.

Obligatory photo

QIc95C9.jpg

Last edited:
Hi mate and welcome to the fold!

Yes these engines are interference and you need that cam belt and waterpump changed as quick as if you don't want to throw the car away as if it does break you will be doing just that!

Hi mate and welcome to the fold!

Yes these engines are interference and you need that cam belt and waterpump changed as quick as if you don't want to throw the car away as if it does break you will be doing just that!

Noted and thanks :)

Welcome to the club. It looks like it's got potential and with a bit of work could serve you well.

Welcome from me also. Looks like a nice starting place and project in which you can make the car your own.

Plenty of useful advice and friendly knowledgable folk on these pages. Good luck with the jobs and forthcoming MOT.

not another azure blue a2!!! lol only joking my wifes a2 is same colour and welcome to the forum :D

cammy

Just to add, I was a Bike only person for many years until my nieces 18th, birthday where I had to ride up to Harwich, from Romford, (65 miles) to drop off presents.

It was wet and freezing end of November, caught the worst man flu from it and knew it was car time.

anyhow my point is; I opted for an A2 as well,..

Just to add, I was a Bike only person for many years until my nieces 18th, birthday where I had to ride up to Harwich, from Romford, (65 miles) to drop off presents.

It was wet and freezing end of November, caught the worst man flu from it and knew it was car time.

anyhow my point is; I opted for an A2 as well,..
Glad you saw the light John, hope alls well mate!!
Cheers Jeff

Welcome! Car looks great! :)

In no particular order
Offside front inner CV boot split - Did this one on the weekend, was neglected for nearly a year so I replaced the whole joint.

I'll be tackling this job soon and I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions?

- Where did you source the inner joint? I'm struggling to find them, and not many people on here seem to have changed them.
- How did you get to it? I assume you've had to split the ball joint and track rod end etc?

Many thanks,

Matt. :)

Welcome! Car looks great! :)

I'll be tackling this job soon and I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions?

- Where did you source the inner joint? I'm struggling to find them, and not many people on here seem to have changed them.
- How did you get to it? I assume you've had to split the ball joint and track rod end etc?

Many thanks,

Matt. :)

No need to split the ball joint or take trackrod end off. undo the large nut (34mm from memory, but could be 36mm) WITH THE CAR ON THE GROUND as its rather tight, then jack up and remove wheel, then undo the 6 bolt holding the inner CV joint to the gear box output flange, then lift the inner joint up and pull it inwards to allow the outer joint to come inwards and therefore out of the wheel hub. You now have the shaft clear of the car and can split the CV joint off the shaft. This certainly worked for me 6 months ago on a 1.4 petrol 51 place, so I see no reason my it would not work on the diesel as well. I needed to lightly drift the joint out of the hub using an aluminium bar about 15mm dia and a small hammer (it was not tight, but I understand that some are very tight as the spline is glued into the hub - I had a puller to hand just in case, but no need to use it)
best of luck Paul PS took me about 3 hours start to finish to remove both shaft, change the outer CV boots and refit

No need to split the ball joint or take trackrod end off. undo the large nut (34mm from memory, but could be 36mm) WITH THE CAR ON THE GROUND as its rather tight, then jack up and remove wheel, then undo the 6 bolt holding the inner CV joint to the gear box output flange, then lift the inner joint up and pull it inwards to allow the outer joint to come inwards and therefore out of the wheel hub. You now have the shaft clear of the car and can split the CV joint off the shaft. This certainly worked for me 6 months ago on a 1.4 petrol 51 place, so I see no reason my it would not work on the diesel as well. I needed to lightly drift the joint out of the hub using an aluminium bar about 15mm dia and a small hammer (it was not tight, but I understand that some are very tight as the spline is glued into the hub - I had a puller to hand just in case, but no need to use it)
best of luck Paul PS took me about 3 hours start to finish to remove both shaft, change the outer CV boots and refit

Pretty much this.

I got my inner joint off ebay here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131082029629?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Looks just as substantial as the £70 one from APD that was fitted previously :eek:

Oh yeah, and to do up those clip things (never encountered them before), wrap them tightly around the driveshaft and/or housing to get a nice tight diameter, then wrap around the boot. Clip the ends together so it's a tight as you can make it, then use carpenter snips like these to squeeze the "hump" part of the clip which pulls the clamp nice and tight : http://img.banggood.com/images/oaup...1/0C/ff927b49-8255-43a7-833f-615132b6da01.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, have sent you an email re CV joints, but be aware, if your outer CV joint splines are glued in like mine were you will find it almost impossible to remove them yourself, I was fortunately aware of this and had them done at a garage, even there the mechanic had serious difficulty getting things apart!

Back