New Audi Paint Finish - Wood Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaine

Past Member
:( Well, I'm not happy!!!!:(

These pics show the state of my A2 completely covered in sticky wood chippings, thanks to our thoughtful local Council.

wood_chip_1.JPG

wood_chip_2.JPG

Wife left the car in a local car park for 40 minutes while she was swimming, only to return to find every car completely covered in wood chippings.
What you cant see from the pics is the fact that they are all STUCK fast to the car. I have started to remove the bits by hand to avoid scratching, but its going to take forever.
Grrrrrrrrr[4][4]

[12] Wrekin District Council [11]

Kaine

Best thing for removing sap is turps but guess you don't want to use that. Try hot soapy water. The heat in the water willhelp the sap run better

time to make a claim on the contractors public liabilty cover. Proper Muppets things like this annoy me beyond all belief, they must have known this would be a likley outcome. I dare say she had to pay to park in the car park! Instead of closing the car parkfor the day and loose out on a few pennies they cover every ones car in rubbish!

Make them understand the phrase "Penny wise, Pound foolish!"

Hi Jon,

My thoughts exactly - time for some phone calls tomorrow I think!!!
I'm sure I wont be the only one.

Kaine

I do wonder if sap will affect the outer layer of polish you should go careful. If you damage it they will not be responsible. Go and park it in a council spot at the local office and don't move until something is done!

That is not good - I'd be fuming as well if that was one of our cars.
My first option would be hot water through a hose to try and loosen and wash off the majority of the chips. Would a pressure washer/steam cleaner be any good or would this be likely to scratch the paint??

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

With lots of confusing looks from neighbours, I washed the car in the rain & dark last night - couldn't leave any longer just in case. Used boiling hot soapy water and lots of care - managed to remove the majority of the surface chips, however when I run my hand over it I can feel hundreds of small specks. Will have another go at it tonight.

Kaine

Possibly the use of some clay bar might be the only option. Good luck with it though at it is a real pain in the behind to use.

I have a bar of comething called "MagicClean" (a kind of clay) to clean my A2 of insects and the like, just spray on some water and then push the clay over the surface, removes insects like magic...

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, TV, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

I would get a professional to clean the car and charge the council for it. Let them know this is what you intend to do and get it done. For one thing the pro will know the best thing to remove the nasties with and another, you deserve it for them being such muppets!

I have a friend who did something similar with Tesco, when a 6 pint of milk burst in the boot of her TT, Tesco said no problem, send us the bill!

Good luck!

Fi

2002 TDi Sport Cobalt Blue, winter pack, leather, rew

Spoke to the muppets today; they have asked me to put it in writing, with the pics. They acknowledged the work was carried out at the carpark, and that protection should have been inplace, but wouldn't confirm if anyone else had contacted them (I dont know sir!! was the answer). They have verbally advised they will pay for any damage, however didn't offer to have it cleaned for me. I didn't challenge this, as I want to do it myself to be honest - good idea? not sure, but hope it comes off ok.

Thanks for the replies - I will take a look at the clay bar option this weekend if there are any problems.

Kaine

It might sound a bit silly and I probably won't try this in your case with the whole car, but what I usually do with sticky organic matter (insect, sticky liquid dropped from trees, which then becomes hard crystal when dried) is ethanol, or white spirit. Soak a little cloth, desolve the nasty stuff and wipe clean. Works great against marks left by old peeled off stickers too! One thing to remember though, it does harm the outer most wax/polish a bit. But I use the turtle wax & clean liquid, it all looks perfect after a wash.

humps
1.4SE Cobalt Blue, Bose and leather

At least charge them for any items you have to buy to clean the car, after all the council add the tree chopping onto our councul tax bills, why pay to clean up after them also?!?

Muppets all round when it comes to the council - grrrrrrrrr!!!

Fi

2002 TDi Sport Cobalt Blue, winter pack, leather, rew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back