New guy 1.4TDi

Muska

A2OC Donor
Hello all,

I've been googling a few A2 related things recently and this forum keep on coming up at the top of my searches, after lots of reading I decided to join, you have a great thing going here :D

I wont bore you with too many details about me, I'm a Firefighter in the midlands, used to be heavily into VW's a few years back, even worked for PVW for a few years (photographer) and shot a cover for them once. I've owned various Golf's from a MK1 G60 convertible, MK1 G40, MK2 VR6 & a Golf Rallye (should never have sold this one!)

I bought my A2 in April 2014 as I had just moved in with the Mrs and would be doing an 80mile commute, my S4 Avant was going to bankrupt me if I kept it so something cheaper to run was on the cards. I picked him up for £2150 with 150k on the clocks and he stands at 193k today and has (touch wood!) never let me down! Only requiring a wheel bearing, handbrake cable and spring in nearly 3 years. He's a 1.4TDi SE

I mentioned it's a 'he', we named him Bert! He's like the little old man who wont retire and works as hard now as he did in his youth ;) It seems fitting for him anyway...

He's been somewhat overlooked as he has munched the miles so well, so there are a few niggling issues I want to get sorted, the front suspension needs a refresh, fuel filler cap Solenoid has not worked for some time and I've opened it from the boot for at least 2 years now, the interior switches look a bit tatty as they've worn & a full service is now due. I quite like to get my hands dirty but I'll most likely use a local garage for the suspension parts once I've gathered them all (I've already book marked the suspension thread :D ) unless anyone can recommend a VW friendly garage in the Rugeley/Armitage area? I've just fitted a bargain set of S3 AVUS wheels so I will look to drop the ride height a touch while I'm at it. Then onto fitting some TT front seats... this is how it starts isn't it! ;)

Anyway, enough waffle for now, thanks all for the contributions that has already made this a great resource for me :)

32449302581_f9593fb67d_c.jpg

Hi Muska, welcome to the owners' club.

It looks like you've got a lovely A2 and it's nice to hear that, having lurked behind the scenes for a few years, you've finally signed up. :)

...unless anyone can recommend a VW friendly garage in the Rugeley/Armitage area?

If I were you, I'd get myself to WOM Automotive. They're based in Lower Tean, just the other side of Uttoxeter from you. They work on A2s all the time and know the car down to the last plastic washer. They also own and maintain an S4.
http://womautomotive.co.uk/contact-us/

Then onto fitting some TT front seats... this is how it starts isn't it! ;)

Yep, you're hooked. Don't fight it. :)

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Muska welcome to the club your car looks swell with the s3 wheels. Be great to see you and your car at a social ---great time to stoke the modifying fires lol
cheers mike

Welcome to the club. Im a reasonably competant DIY mechanic and I found the drivers side front suspension change to be a bit of a pig, so if you've got the money have it done in a garage.

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice and I'll definitely be checking out WOM :)

Mike, if there is anything midlands based I'll try and get along, will check the 2017 schedule :)

Welcome along Muska and Bert !

Love the description about him being like an old man that wont retire !

I willing to bet fuel flap solenoid is fine ! probably drivers door micro switch with dry cracks in the solder.
(Flap will not open as it thinks the door is closed)

Does interior light come on when you open drivers door ? does it show on the DIS (if specced) that the drivers door is open ?
IF no to both of the above, then replace or reflow old micro switch will get that fuel flap working again.

I have also been struggling with opening flap via the boot for the last 3+years, Luckily with the TDI sipping its reserves like a gentleman it doesn't need fueling all that often.
On my to do list too.. We re-flow electronics frequently at work and have all the controlled gear but workshop too busy with clients tech !

Tob.....
You only need a soldering iron and ideally some flux and leaded solder, I have done all the locks on both my A2's. Taken hours to get the lock assy out of the car, then 10 mins max to reflow the joints, then hours to refit the lock assy into the doors.
Well worth it though when the locks don't cycle everytime you put the ignition key in and the interior lights work as they should / fuel flap opens with the switch

Quite why Mr Audi thought he needed to interlock the fuel flap opening with the drivers door being open (when you cannot press the button if the door is shut) as always baffled me :)

Hi chaps, thanks for the warm welcome :)

The interior light seems to work just fine, as do the door locks & it shows on the Dis when a door is open too. The switch has fallen apart now so perhaps I could try and new one first, incase that's faulty.

Depronman that is some impressive mileage on your TDi!

Thanks depro' having seen a walk-through of the door strip down I can certainly see that being a time issue, that's more what's holding me back than reflowing the mech itself.

Muska, I've got a working spare switch in my glovebox you're welcome to have for the cost of postage.

I replaced my original and the flap solenoid before I actually tested the circuit and got wise to the microswitch issue.

Thanks, that's a very kind offer! I'll fire you a pm :)
Hi Muska
You will find this a VERY helpful site, as Tobecomecarrion has nicely demonstrated (and by the sound of it, you discovered this even before you became an A2 owner!!)

Steve B

Back