New, Half or No Service?

moogaloo

I have recently bought a second hand Audi A2 TDi 1.4 from an independant small dealer.

He says he had the car serviced before selling it, but the service indicator has not been reset and it is now telling me a service is due in 600 miles.

Looking at the service history there was a previous Audi service about 2000 miles / 2 years ago and was a long life service. And speaking to the dealer who sold the car he says everything has been done that should be done for this service, like changing Oll/Air Filter, Oil Change, topping up levels etc.

So should I reset the service indicator, or should I get someone to look and see if anything else needs doing?

I am in Kent so any recommendations as to where to go would be useful too.

Thanks

Chris

Hi,

I'd check with the indepedant whether they used Long Life oil or not - it'll determine whether you should reset to fixed or variable servicing.

Not sure about where to check it out locally. Rob Earl is in Kent - he might have some ideas...

Ben

If the longlife oil hasn't been used, then you can't really go back to a longlife service regime now, unfortunately.

If it has, then anyone with a VAG-COM or any dealer can reset a longlife service shedule and you then need to just watch out for the service indicator to pop up in about 30k miles for diesels or 20k miles for petrols.

I'd ask the question 'What oil did you use?' instead of asking whether they did a longlife service. If the answer comes back with a suitable spec oil, then go ahead and enjoy long service intervals (although a lot of 'experts' are now recommending fixed interval servicing, to keep an eye on other wear and tear items).

Cheers,

Mike

Back