New Key

halfacar

Hi all, I have recently swapped my 1.4 petrol for a 1.4 diesel(90) but I have only got one proper key plus a service key. My question is if I buy an HAA key of ebay and get it cut and coded will it work, or is it not as simple as that. Many thanks.

No, it's not that simple!

If you get a key, you'll firstly need to get the right one (you can even get the new style ones, but again, the correct part number is essential).

You then need a blank blade and this needs to be cut.

Then, you'll need a new transponder installing and then the car and key need to be matched.

I have been doing a lot of this for members recently, as more and more A2s are bought/sold with only a single key.

I also clear out all pre-existing matches, so that if somone comes along with the old key, they can't drive your car away!

If you want more info and prices, please PM me.

Cheers,

Mike

Wow that was a quick reply however I have some more questions.

1. They are selling keys on ebay complete with blank blades and transponders etc, wont this do if I then get it cut?

2. I have been told that my local audi dealed will code it for £25.00 which doesn't sound too bad or am I missing something.

3. I know I am going to sound really thick but I don't know how to P.M. anybody perhaps someone can help me there as well.

Many thanks.

top right hand corner under your user name is the Private Messages tab (in red), or click the user name and under the drop down menu (top left I believe) select send a private message option... ;)

Spare Key

I have a key from my old A2.It would need a blade and recoding you are more than welcome to it if you think it would work:)

I've yet to see a key sold with a new, code-able transponder - they all have old ones on, but once a transponder chip is coded, it cannot be re-coded to another car, so although a key may well contain a chip, it's odds on that it'll be useless.

As to Audi coding a key for £25, I'd be very surprised at this, as they normally charge in minimum of 0.5 hour blocks for labour, which is a minimum of £90 per hour.

Also, I have never heard of Audi wanting anything to do with third-party sourced keys. I do know a new price is around the £180 mark.

If you want to go ahead and try, then please feel free to do so, but you will need the SKC for the car (secret key code, only accessible by dealers or those with the necessary equipment, such as me! Vag Com will not do the trick).

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike thats cleared up a wee point that was lurking in my head.Thats why I held onto the key in the first place.Very concise, to the point and accurately put. Cheers.On another point is it an eprom or an eeprom thats in there.Just curious:)

Have to agree with Skipton.

My case not Audi I know, but presumably same rules apply throughout VAG.

About 18 months ago I had to get a new key for my Polo. The original was stolen from my other halfs bag whilst at work in Leeds General Infirmary - sneak thief broke into the staff room and rifled all the bags. It was a chipped key (but not a remote opener) with the push button VW logo which was a light. I expect the idiot was wondering around the staff carpark pushing the button thinking itwas a remote key and wondering why nothing VW was flashing/unlocking!.

Anyway, I had also seen keys on Ebay for about £10, but the VW dealer in Leeds (now gone bust) would not entertain the option of using a key provided by me from Ebay, so the end result was £125+vat for a key from VW and 1 hrs labour to code it to the car.

Hi Mike thats cleared up a wee point that was lurking in my head.Thats why I held onto the key in the first place.Very concise, to the point and accurately put. Cheers.On another point is it an eprom or an eeprom thats in there.Just curious:)

It's neither David, it is a small coil held in a glass envelope, like the sort of thing that animals have injected when they're chipped (go faster labrador anyone!).

I'm none too sure how they work, but they seem inert to me, but must have a 'setting' bit in them, so that once matched with an immobiliser, they can't be used again.

Cheers,

Mike

O.K. many thanks for your replies but what is the option without paying top book from Audi. I know that Mike Skipton is the biz but he's miles from me in Swansea. Any help regarding the cheapest way ahead is much appreciated.

But surley a trip to Mike or Sarge who is the other that can do keys (not sure if there are anymore that can do this) has got to be cheaper than a dealer. the other alternative is if Mike would do it is at a social may be ADI in October, but that would need you getting a key sending it to Mike for him to fit the transponder ready for coding, and you getting the blade cut but that will be down to Mike and you to organise.

I would recomend getting it done with Mike though he did mine and i've traveled over to Mike's a couple of times and had him done a fit at ADI last year aswell, so i've travelled some miles for him to work his magic

Cheers Phil

Thanks for the recommendation Phil - it's true though, people do come from much further than Swansea to have work done by me.

If you wanted to combine it with other stuff (cruise control, iPod integration, HID lights etc) then it'd make the journey more worthwhile, but otherwise, you can either do the key in isolation or wait until October for Audi Driver International, which is our big annual gathering and is much closer to you, being based at Castle Combe circuit in Wiltshire.

I cannot do keys by post unfortunately, as I need to have the car present to match up the immobiliser with the key.

If you do get a fob though, you can send it up to me for preparatory work, such as a new blade and chip, or, if it comes with a blank blade, just wait until you're ready and I'll do the chipping and coding all at the same time (just get the blade cut in the meantime).

Cheers,

Mike

Keys

Cheers Mike think I am gonna investigate further:D

It's neither David, it is a small coil held in a glass envelope, like the sort of thing that animals have injected when they're chipped (go faster labrador anyone!).

I'm none too sure how they work, but they seem inert to me, but must have a 'setting' bit in them, so that once matched with an immobiliser, they can't be used again.

Cheers,

Mike

Back