New member from Glasgow

A2!

Hey everyone, finally joined the forum after years of stocking it. I've always loved the A2 but couldn't really afford it as a first car. Now I'm 27 I feel the time is right to get one and hopefully looking to get it in the coming months. Having spent thousands moddifing my current car I'm sure a2oc forum will be a vital resource for my next.

Euan

Hi Euan,

a very warm welcome to you.

I am sure that you will find lots of help and advice on here.

Never be afraid to ask !!!

We have a few members in Scotland and several very knowledgeable ones too (and Murdo !!!!) ;)

Have fun

Steve B

Hi Euan,

a very warm welcome to you.

I am sure that you will find lots of help and advice on here.

Never be afraid to ask !!!

We have a few members in Scotland and several very knowledgeable ones too (and Murdo !!!!) ;)

Have fun

Steve B

You'll never accuse me of being knowledgeable. I know where the key goes to start em up. :p

Welcome Euan. Looking forward to reading about your car and we've nearly enough members around Glasgow for a mini cruise one day!!

Hey everyone, finally joined the forum after years of stocking it. I've always loved the A2 but couldn't really afford it as a first car. Now I'm 27 I feel the time is right to get one and hopefully looking to get it in the coming months. Having spent thousands moddifing my current car I'm sure a2oc forum will be a vital resource for my next.

Euan

Welcome along Euan,
A good starting point may be looking on here when your ready to purchase, there are usually a few for sale from members and they've generally come from good owners on here,
Don't be afraid to ask for advice too!
Cheers Jeff

Would that be on a chartered boat around the Shetland Islands Murdo ?. :)

Novel concept for a Glasgow cruise :rolleyes:

Useless information for a Saturday morning. Lerwick in Shetland is a 12.5 hour ferry journey from Aberdeen plus ~ 4 hours in a car from Glasgow. It's a big wee country Na h-Alba

back on topic - Euan if you'd like any practical help buying an A2 give me a shout and at a convenient time you're welcome to come down to Prestwick and have a look round our car and take it for a drive. I can show you all the wee things to look out for.

Last edited:
hi euan :)

you wont find a more friendly and helpful forum on the web. as for modding the a2 to your taste, there are plenty of options but finding some of the upgrades can be difficult but we have alot of people on here keen to keep an eye, should you require a certain item :)

its good too see more people in scotland take interest in this great little/big car. the more people who join up here the better the chance we can have a meet at some point :D i know i keep saying this but i do hope to meet the regulars on here at some point :D

if you check out the marketplace, you will find several a2's for sale the the moment and a few crackers at that. i would maybe go as far as saying i would sell you mine for me to purchase one of the two that are sale on here! im on my second members a2 so far with the hope of maybe getting a third at some point :D

cheers

cammy

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. As for meets well I don't mind traveling. With my current car club they think a UK central club meet means 50 miles outside of london. Was also just at Silverstone for a meet at 'TRAX' I don't mind if it's worth it. Although to be fair we do have northern meets etc.

Really my first thing is to sell my current car which I have only recently put on a swap site and need to take my plate off it and finish a few mods before putting it on autotrader or something.

I'll be looking for a tdi (90 if possible) must have air con with buttons. I'd also like DIS. Sport wheels if possible but I can change that later. Probably not OSS sounds like it might be a money pit. I'll probably have up to 3k to spend on it.

I assume I'll be looking at mileage between like 90k -120 at this price depending on spec ?

Now normally I wouldn't be considering a car at that mileage nor age, but

A) I love the a2.

B) it seems like if I keep on top of maintenance it should do me until pushing towards the 200k mark or at least 170k maybe.

C) with the rarity and way they hold value it seems to make sense.

D) If I ever want to own a a2 now seems to be the best time.

With regards to point b would you agree with the tdi and mileage?

Last edited:
Welcome mate! I'm based in the west end if you fancy having a poke round a 75 - happy to let you have a shot round a carpark or something as well if you want. This week is best for me if you do, back to uni as of Friday.

Enjoy the forum - one word of warning; just because these cars don't break very often doesn't mean they aren't a money pit. You'll find yourself fiddling around, adding extras, getting cruise/remaps/mfsw retrofits.. I mean, I'm a proper beans-on-toast student and I still find excuses to buy all things A2 related! Worth every penny though, and as you say they probably won't lose any value as they age gracefully :D

as for point B mines is nearly hitting 200k and engine/gearbox is still running sweet but wear and tear for the usual stuff like tyres/shocks/springs/cv joints and a cambelt change are needing done on mine.

apart from the above mentioned its a cracking car and no small/big car i can think of comes close to build quality and enjoyment :D

check out the members car section and you will see more detailed photos of interior/exterior of the a2's :)
cammy

Just be very fussy and patient and wait for tidy well serviced example. Seem to be quite a few going about, though if you want best choice get a 75 and remap it. Tbh 75s aren't too slow if driving on your own without full load although remapped are apparently miles better. If examination / test drive don't reveal any of the common problems to affect them then you probably can't too far wrong, he says hopefully re his own!.....and travel south to get one whose underside probably hasn't been covered in salt every winter like they would be up here. Enough underneath not aluminium that still corrodes. Bought a 120k one down south that's no worse underneath than a 37k one that's spent all its life up here and is 4 years younger.

Last edited:
Enjoy the forum - one word of warning; just because these cars don't break very often doesn't mean they aren't a money pit. You'll find yourself fiddling around, adding extras, getting cruise/remaps/mfsw retrofits.. I mean, I'm a proper beans-on-toast student and I still find excuses to buy all things A2 related! Worth every penny though, and as you say they probably won't lose any value as they age gracefully :D

Yeah, already know what that's like. I have done a few mods on my current car that cost £800+ each so I'm prepared for that kind of stuff. Saying that I'll probably at the start just make sure it's mechanically sound and maybe just do a remap. Does anyone know anyone who does a good remap up here or are they all down south ?

Nice A2 Mr Angry and thanks theclarks for the tip. :D

There's a blue TDi 90 Sport for sale in Sunderland with low miles. It's advertised for £2490 and is on EBay and Autotrader.

It looks to have originally come from Scotland.

Edit: item no.181737022904

Last edited:
Sadly I still don't have a A2 yet as I have been busy and I need a car for my job, so finding it hard to sell. Just wondering if I save say £1700 - £2000 do you think I can get an ok TDI with mileage in the range of 100k-130k and then later spend about £2.5k to sort stuff out with it or is this a really bad idea? It's just I need to sort out my current car which need to be sold privately as it's too modified and unique for p/x etc.

That all seems very doable.
You should get a perfectly usable TDI for that kind of money.

Good luck with the search.
Steve B

Last edited:
Just put a deposit down today for a 2003 1.4 TDi Sport. Looks like I'm finally getting one!:D

welcome to addictive nature of the a2 :)

if your needing help with anything you wont find a better place!

also, if you need a good garage that you can trust for fixing major stuff on the a2 then pm me or murdo for details :) i just had a major overhaul of my car recently and everything is running great!

be sure to add photos and spec details of your a2 in signature or post....as we are all nosey in here lol

cammy

Yeah I need to find somewhere. That will be after Christmas. Obviously there are bits and pieces that are cosmetic which I'll have fun rectifying but the only disappointment is the last owner sold the alloys and now it's got steels with awful trims. On the plus point it is the sport trim so DIS is in it. Am I right in thinking front fogs are an optional extra on the sport? (It has them).

That is it taxed and insured so all I need to work out is how I'll pick it up.

Back