New Member on lookout for A2

Contigo

Hi All

I'm new here and am on the lookout for an A2 of some description. Not sure on FSi or TDi at the moment as won't be doing mega miles but looking for tips on best buy. I've heard the earlier 1.4TDi SE are the best bet as the gearboxes tend to be stronger and go for one without the panoramic roof because if they fail it's a grand to replace.

I have owned RS4's (B5 and B7) so am no stranger to Audi's and do rate them as motors. The Aluminium thing really interests me and I think the A2 has aged very well.

I now run an M5 Touring (E61) but the A2 will be for some school runs and the odd work trip. The wife doesn't enjoy the M5 as an everyday car and the fuel bills can be astronomical!

Anyway, thanks for listening and looking forward to hearing from some informative members.

P.S Seen you lot down at the ADI Castle Combe a few years ago where you had your stand! :D

Interesting Re the open sky thanks for that!

It's now a trade off between the TDi and the FSi, looking at stats I am not sure the 75bhp (ps) model is enough and the 0-60 time is pretty slow. I think something in the range of 10 secs is much better so the 90ps engine would probably be a better bet but they seem as rare as rocking horse!

Anyone care to comment on the TDi 75 and how well it makes progress on the motorway?

thanks

The 75PS is faster than the 0-60mph suggests. Don't get me wrong, it's no hot-hatch, but the torque makes in-gear acceleration fast enough to make progress.
Motorway cruising at 70mph is also OK. Though the 5th gear is rather short (geared for ~110mph top speed) so if you want to go any faster the engine rpm become rather high.

There are solutions available for both of those points.
The 75PS is easily remapped to ~100PS. I suspect it will be cheaper to remap a 75PS than buy a 90PS.
Also there are options to added a longer 5th gear ratio. (http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?12808-Information-on-the-5th-gear-mod-all-in-one-post)

Last edited:
Great info people!

I will defo focus on the 75 now!

So for remapping, is there a prefered vendor? like for the RS4's it was either MRC or MTM maps.

I own a remapped 75 with similar figures to ULP. I also owned an FSI for about 3 months and drove it enough to get to know it reasonably well.
I'd agree with ULP. The FSI is smoother and it'll pootle about in almost any gear you choose, but the TDI wins for all the qualities listed above. I never intended on owning it for very long, but I was glad when it drove away, having read on here the amount of money that some have had to pour into solving problems with their FSIs.
It's worth pointing out that the TDI is not an ideal car for shorter journeys, though. It takes a while to warm up and is noticeably less efficient until it reaches temperature.

Welcome to the club, by the way! :)

Tom

Cheers Tom et al.

I like the idea of a remap (what's not to like). I have seen a nice TDi sport on autotrader but not sure if I could live with the harder ride (compared to SE) and the rims are 18" which looksgood but it also looks like spacers have been involved in there somewhere :D

Hi and welcome to the A2oc.

The one you posted dose look nice, especially with lumber surport and diss. The wheels are to big as you said. But the easyest solution is to change the wheels. To 16' that would improve the ride immensely. Or even down to 15' for ultimate comfort.

I have 17 and 16 summer wheels and 15 winter wheels and notice a big difference even between 17 &16's

I have had my 75 tdi remaped and it s quick enough. As the car is so light( well until I sit in it:( lol) you would be surprised how quick off te mark it is if you want to give it some beens.

Stealth Racing in southam near Warwick is the place to go. Vince there has remaped more A2's than anyone and his knoledge of the ccu is better than anyone else. You won't leave until you and him are both happy with the results.

Good luck with your search and hopefully next you are at Adi you will be on the best lub stand :)

Cheers

David

Really like the look of this one but not sure I could live with the Sport suspension and those 18" rims! Love the leather interior as just not a fan of cloth!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...radius/1500/postcode/rg146jl/page/1?logcode=p

The car you've linked isn't on standard alloys. The Sport version of the A2 was sold with 17" versions of Mk1 TT alloys, but those on this car are 18" RS4 alloys, likely to be replicas if the centre caps are anything to go by.
It's true that the Sport does have stiffer suspension, but after nearly 120k miles, the suspension could be worn out and in need of replacement anyway, giving you the opportunity to fit something a little better. The Sport does also have things in its favour, as David mentions.

Tom

Back