New Member!!

Darren C

A2OC Donor
I just wanted to say 'hi' to all of you, after eventually taking the time to 'register' tonight.

I discovered this excellent forum a couple of weeks ago after purchasing my own A2 on the 5th October this year. I am currently working my way through the previous topics and I am learning more about the car each time I log on. [Just goes to prove how well informed you guys and girls are!!]. My only regret is not finding this site before purchasing my vehicle, as I think that I would have looked to buy an A2 with a few more goodies attached [i.e. DIS].

Prior to the A2, I have been a Vauxhall man all my life [no sniggering please], owning seven in total including a Calibra 2.0 16v and lastly my 'px' an '02' Astra SRI 2.2 16v with 'irmsher' body kit and cruise control. [My 'old man' worked for Vauxhall for over twenty five years and as a result I was able to obtain a good discount on all models].

So why did I get rid of the Astra and change manufacturer??

My wife and I are hoping to start a family in the very near future and the three door Astra was not a practical family car. [Nor was my wife's two door corsa, which we have px'ed for a Meriva [yes I know it's still a vauxhall, but it is huge in terms of storage and makes an ideal car to take on 'holiday'], but that is another story].
I love driving and cars in general, and I wanted to buy a replacement vehicle that not only looked great, but was also practical, economical, a scream to drive and was durable. [Hope I am right in thinking that the 'alu' will last a lot longer than the steel if the car is looked after; as I plan on still owning this car when the kids leave home. [Baring in mind that we don't yet have any, you can see that I intend to be the owner for some years to come!!]].
I must admit that I was initially sceptical about down sizing from a 2.2 16v [all alloy] petrol engine to a 1.4 three cylinder, but as soon as I test drove the A2 TDI, I knew that this was the car for me. [Incidentally, despite being a Vauxhall man, once I had made the decision to trade in the Astra, the A2 TDI was my first and last choice]. I was stunned by the performance of the little diesel during my test drive and despite the skinny tyres [I only have the 15' 175 wheels], I thought that the car handled really well. In fact I was so impressed that I bought the car there and then.

Having owned the vehicle for over a month now, I can honestly say that I don't regret giving the Astra the boot one bit. Although the A2 does lacks a great deal in terms of power compared to the Astra, it more than makes up for this in terms of real time drivability. The torque, turbo [only have the 75bhp model, which I find more than adequate], gearing and handling, bring a smile to my face every time a drive the car. The build quality is excellent and although you do pay a premium price for such a small car, you do get the feeling that you are driving something special, as I am sure that you will all agree. [I know it's sad, but I now find that I am making every excuse possible to go out and drive the car. My wife doesn't drink and has always been happy to chauffer me about whilst I have 1 or 10, but the other night [a mates 50th], I found myself drinking coke just so that I could drive the A2 some more].

As previously mentioned, I have been reviewing the 'threads' that where posted as far back as 2002. I have noticed that some of the common faults with this car are still present in the latest vehicles, but over-all I think that progress has been made in many areas.
So far my car is running great. I have a slight tapping noise from around the centre of the dashboard [sounds like the wiring behind the climate control is loose and knocking against the radio or the 'CC' unit itself], but this is a minor niggle and given some of the dealer horror stories of trim removal posted on this forum, I would rather live with this 'slight' noise than have the innards of the car disturbed.

To conclude [at last, I can hear that sigh of relief from here], the A2 is the best car that I have owned and I have no regrets what-so-ever in my purchase. The dealer was honest enough to tell me that Audi has now stopped production, but I didn't care, the thought of owning this 'alu' classic was the only incentive I needed to proceed with buying the car.

A2 TDI SE
Akoya Silver
Climate Control
Sideguard Air Bags
Tracker

'05' plate - paid £11500 [ex dealer demo, 6900 on the clock. I haggled a bit and thought that this was a reasonable price, hope you agree??].

PS,
Is the screen wash top up tank meant to have a cap fitted?? [Mine has a mesh cap, but the screen wash can still spill out if overfilled. Am I missing one??].:)

HI Darren
Welcome to the ranks of A2 Owner land i can
assure you that you have made a wise choice
and you will get used to that smile on your face every time
you take the car out i have now had mine 6 Months and i still
look forward everytime i take the thing of the drive .......

I Have had many Vauxhauls in my time and i even looked at the
Meriva when i was looking at A2's there where some great deals
around but im so glad that i took the plunge and went for the A2
as i cant stop Smiling LOL !!!!

This is a great site as you have discovered and very informative
if anyone has a problem with there A2 its probably mentioned
somwhere on this forum so we can work it out .............

Hope you have many happy years with your A2
dont forget to add yourself onto the A2 owners list and googlemap
Oh nearly forgot i dont think there is a cap on the washer bottle
as my A2 does not have one either .................

Wooly, many thanks for your warm welcome & good wishes & for taking the time to answer my query. Much obliged!!

ULP, thanks also for the warm welcome!! You are spot on with your guess as I live not a million miles from you in 'round about city'; Milton Keynes. I bought the car from Chelmsford Audi after searching high and low for several weeks on the internet.
With a family in mind, I was sold on the sideguard air bags that are fitted to this car and plummeted for this 'Special Edition' model. This additional safety feature has come with a price, as I could have chosen other models in the range with front fogs, bigger wheels, 90 BHP TDI engine, etc, but I guess I must be getting old and dare I say 'sensible'.
As I said in my original post, every time I log onto this forum I learn something new and today is no exception as the 'SE', 'Special Edition' differentials was something that I was not aware of. Thanks!!

Have a great wekend both of you and enjoy the sunshine when out and about in your A2's.

PS,

I have seen two silver A2's in MK this morning and our new neighbour has a dolphin grey FSI model... perhaps I haven't joined such an exclusive club after all. [I jest!!]

Hi Darren C read your posts with a smile on my face. I felt exactly the same when I bought my A2 18 months ago. It still drives and sounds the same as when I bought it and I have now covered 20,000 miles in it. got mine from a dealer in Sussex 2.5 years old 10,000 miles on the clock. hasnt got many extras but the open sky and bench seat sold me the car. Its good having the rear bench so I can take my lads friends out to partys getting three in the back not just two. Open sky is great in the summer just wish I had climate control but then again its one thing less to go wrong. I am assuming you have a good warranty on the car as I have had a few things gone wrong and it can cost to get them sorted out. Saying all that just enjoy driving it and with all the safety features built into the car you have made the right choice

PS,
Is the screen wash top up tank meant to have a cap fitted?? [Mine has a mesh cap, but the screen wash can still spill out if overfilled. Am I missing one??].:)

There is np cap - it seals itself when you swing it back under the bonnet.

... and looks like you got the best colour - Akoya

Welcome to the club Darren

I've had mine a couple of months now - bought it from Wayside Audi in your neck of the woods.

You mention starting a family. I read mixed comments about the A2's ability to handle family life before I bought mine but I was confident it would fit the bill. If it's of reassurance, we've got a couple of young kids (5y + 1.9y old!) and downsized from a Passat Estate cos we got fed up of the shopping flying around the enormous flat load area.

Now, the buggy fits neatly in the A2's loadspace and there's still plenty of room on top for all those other kiddywink accessories. We've not run out of room yet but, if we do, those diddy legs dangling from those rear seats will enable us to fill the deep rear footwells which probably provide additional load space of about 25% of what the boot offers. So, in my opinion, it definitely works as a family car for a young family.

Add this to the smile factor the A2 exudes and I reckon it's one of the coolest cars you can buy. Like you, I tend to find any reasonable excuse to take mine for a spin. Hey, I've even condensed my working week into 3 days to give me more driving time - right Wooly!?!

Enjoy yours Darren.
cheers
Dubbsy

dubbsy said:
Add this to the smile factor the A2 exudes and I reckon it's one of the coolest cars you can buy.

Oh yes I so agree with that. Pity Clarkson never thought the same and thus it never got added to his cool wall! For rarity, feelgood factor and pure go-kart-like fun with that added 3 pot Porsche like engine note, there is nothing that beats the A2. Nothing with 5 doors anyway.

As they say in Nissan Micra-speak: a compacious wundercar!

Enjoy the forum dubbsy.

Now that IS cool. I know Clarkson isn't to everyone's tastes but he does seem to get the deciding vote on the cool wall so the A2's presence must put him up a couple of points in the minds of some of his less enthusiatic followers.

Back