New owner in Chorleywood, Hertfordshire

DarkHorse

A2OC Donor
Just wanted to say firstly, that I'm so glad I came across this forum. Such a wealth of experience and assistance, I don't know where to begin!

Ok, so I had been looking for a cheap run around to do 40 mile round trip commutes each day. The 2001 Merc estate was returning 25mpg at best and starting to irritate me and my wallet.

Started doing some research and came across the A2. Didn't know much about it when it came out, but the more I looked at it on paper, the more I liked it. So, I scoured the ads for a Tdi with a measly £2k spending money. I knew I wouldn't get the greatest example, but I was already addicted to the car and I hadn't even sat in one.

Anyways, saw a car on Sunday, a 2001 Black Tdi (SE I think) 120k on the clock. I was sure I would hate it, kept trying to find faults with the driving aspect, but couldn't. Coming from the uber comfortable Merc, I was quite surprised. Ok, the ride is tougher, but not half as bad as some of the comments I've seen; perhaps the sport setup would be worse. And the pillars aren't so bad. I always triple check junctions anyway. I get the odd remark, "why that car?", and then I trail off into high mpg figures and watch their eyes glaze over with disinterest. It may be old, but it does not look it.

So I bought it for £1900. I expect to spend some money on a few things. It was serviced by Audi up to 80k, then by the previous owner for the last four years. Interior could do with a good clean. And I've already got an A4 donor unit to replace the faded buttons, should look ace.

Finally, need to say how professional Tony from A2 cars has sounded over the phone so far. I live less than an hour's drive, so looking forward to the inspection he's booked me in for next month.

Perhaps I'm a little over excited at driving a manual after a decade of automatics, but the car feels fun, and is so spacious in the back (I'm 6"2' and 110kg, and I had no comfort issues at all). I used to race about in the classic mini coopers, and sure, this doesn't always feel as steady as them in the corners, but it does have tons of character - and AC, and a quick heater, and electric windows etc...

Also, before I sign off this rather lengthy intro, I just have to thank all the members here, because if I had not been cruising this forum, I might never had seen the potential in these little cars.

(I'm now kinda hoping the Merc dies so I can try and persuade my OH to let me go for a 3L import!)

(I'm now kinda hoping the Merc dies so I can try and persuade my OH to let me go for a 3L import!)

Hi DarkHorse, welcome to the A2oc.

The reference to any '3L' Audi always make me smile.
You may have already heard the tale but apparently Audi got worried about rumours of a Renault 3L Clio and sped up their program to be first on the block .
Turns out the tales were true but the Renault Clio was a 3Litre V6 supercar

Cheers Spike

That was a great intro, seems like your already hooked.

Welcome to the forum. Pop along to one of the socials, i'm sure you'll love it.

That was a great intro, seems like your already hooked.

Welcome to the forum. Pop along to one of the socials, i'm sure you'll love it.

Thanks. Tony at A2 said once you've got the bug, you just can't stop thinking about it, so I think I need to ease up a little. I'm not going to be able to do much to it until I know it's mechanically perfect. It's not like my old minis, this one will never rust! So just need to focus on making sure everything works.

Back