Information New owner no idea.

Hi, just bought a 2002 Audi A2 and find no drivers manual with it, most things are ok but... how does the bonnet unlatch
is there a release catch for the boot in car, has any one a Drivers Manual I could buy of them PLEASE.

Welcome!
If you want to take the bonnet off completely, first you have to open the "service flap" - there is a pull lever under the driver's side trim panel beneath the steering wheel on the right hand side. This releases the flap which you can release downwards.

This allows you to do basic fluid top ups like check the oil and fill up the washer fluid.

To fully remove the bonnet - look on each side of the service panel area that you can see - there are large thumb screws on left and right? Turn these to release (they pop forwards when unlatched) - then you gently and carefully lift the entire bonnet slightly upwards and towards you - the whole bonnet comes off. It's not very heavy as it's aluminium...

Hi and welcome to the A2oc and A2 ownership.

Do you want to remove the bonnet or just get acces to check oil ect?

To check oil and fill serene wash ect. There is a handle in the drivers footwell on the right, pull this and the centre of the bonnet will open to give you access to oil dip stick ect.

To remove the bonnet when the inspection hatch is open there is a couple of knobs either side that you turn and release. You then can lift up and remove the bonnet.

There is no boot release inside the car, but there is a button on the key fob. If you press and hold the button it will open the boot and keep the rest of the car locked if you so wish.

Cheers

David

there is an emergency anti-kidnap boot release pull on the tail gate in the car. Use your key to lift the little plastic cover on the main tailgate trim and the pull to unlock the tail gate from within the cabin.

Thanks guys thats a great help, on the drivers door post (B) there is a button with the inprint of a car this is above the fuel cap release what does it do???
Need a Manual any help.:p

Thanks guys thats a great help, on the drivers door post (B) there is a button with the inprint of a car this is above the fuel cap release what does it do???

The other button turns off the interior sensors, allowing you to lock the car but leave a dog in the boot without setting off the alarm.

Tom

Disables the ultrasonic interior alarm sensors so you can leave pets or beings in the car with it locked.

Once again my very best thanks, Its all space time and techno to me I bought a car and the world has done a "" Dr Who " on me.
I am so pleased to find a Great bunch of people like you. I have a dog so that will help alot.
You will hear from me again I am sure, Does any one Know were I can buy a manual for this Tardis of mine.
Thanks Ray.

there is an emergency anti-kidnap boot release pull on the tail gate in the car.

This made me smile...seems even gangsters are using these cars now in a bid to save a few quid with the outrageous price of fuel.

It's also to help you if you've disconnected the battery and the bootlid has then closed, meaning you can't open the darn thing again!

Yeah, think that's more the intended purpose lol.

Just a word of advice to the op and other newbies, make sure you slide the bonnet forward before lifting it and find somewhere suitable to put it before taking it off.

It's also to help you if you've disconnected the battery and the bootlid has then closed, meaning you can't open the darn thing again!

Indeed, the A2 has attention to detail everywhere, I've had to use it once when I disconnected the battery and accidentally closed the tail gate! Unlike my 996 with the silly flat battery locked out design where the battery is under the bonnet which is released from within the cabin. But the door won't open when the battery is flat (no power to drop the window when you pull the door handle). But I also think there is a law in some states in the US where it is mandatory to have an anti-kidnap 'trunk' release. The US model of my porsche has front compartment internal release pull where the EU models don't.

Also it is as important to know how to refit the bonnet as how to remove it. There are two 'legs' under the top corners, align them with the catch / rail on the car near the windscreen. Then lower the front of the bonnet and it should slide into place and you push it towards the windscreen and tighten the two large screws inside the service flap. The refitting should not require much force if aligned correctly and if you needed a lot of effort, you'd want to check the alignment and don't force it! Not fitting the bonnet correctly can cause it to make knocking noise while driving or worst, the whole thing fly off at speed!

Last edited:
Thanks again I am really lost without some form of instruction ( so the wife says ) I only used to drive fire engines before.:mad:

Thats ok if its connected. As mine got a flat battery some years back and when i went to pull this the hole thing came out as it wasn't connected, luckly i've got manual windows in the rear so dropped a side window and jumped it of through the window. New Audi's with rear batterys have an extra jump point under the bonnet for this reason

Phil

Back