New owner.

ukdacoc

Day 2 of A2 experience, so far well impressed. Looking forward to a long happy relationship!
Only one problem found so far.....interior auto dim rear view mirror seems defective? 90% of face dimmed but I have 10% which isn't? What's the best way to fully test functionality?

A2 SE 1.4tdi

That sounds like a broken mirror to me. The auto-dimming mirrors don't often fail, but when they do, they show the symptom you describe.

It may be that the 10% that isn't dimmed still functions. You can test this by blocking the forwards-facing light sensor with some tape (or just your finger) and then shining a torch into the rear-facing sensor, but nothing is going to un-dim the 90% that's permanently darkened.

Cheers,

Tom

Strange! Carried out check as advised but the opposite happens. There was no change in the 10% but 90% became darker when blocking front sensor and shining light?

Ah, ok. In which case, the 10% that's permanently light is the broken bit. None of the 'dimming fluid' is getting to this area for whatever reason. I'd suggest that the darker 90% isn't functioning entirely as it should as it's clearly not returning to the completely un-dimmed state.

The mirrors are a sealed unit made by a company called Donnelly. To my knowledge, they cannot be repaired. So, if you're bothered by your mirror's current state, a replacement is probably your only option. New from Audi, they're about £175, though they can be picked up second hand on eBay (the A4 unit is more common and identical to that fitted to the A2). The issue with second hand units is simply not knowing how long you'll get out of it before the same or similar symptoms appear. I've retrofitted plenty of second hand mirrors for fellow club members and have noticed that their contrast when 'bright' varies hugely.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom, thank you so much for the advice. Auto dimming mirror is not essential for me but a broken one may start to become annoying so I think I may convert to standard manual one!
Regards,
Danny.

Back