new owner

Ben A

Hi, I have just picked up my new A2 1.6 SE silver with blue leather 04 plate 53k, really pleased with it all seems to be well and spotless inside and out.
One question - cam belt last changed 6 years ago - at about 29k - i don't do many miles but does this need to be done urgently.

Ben

Hi Ben, Congratulations on your A2 purchase and welcome to the forum, I would recommend that you get the belt kit changed asap. This will then give you peace of mind and remove risk of breaking the belt with possibility of writing off the car.

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Ben,

One question - cam belt last changed 6 years ago - at about 29k - i don't do many miles but does this need to be done urgently.Ben

Over the years there's been lots of discussion on this forum, not helped by Audi changing their recommended frequency/mileage from time to time.

The lowest figure is 40k miles or 4 years to be on the safe side but the general consensus for tdi's is 60k miles or 5 years.

Back in 2008 I listed some forum threads - see here http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?8348-Cambelt-at-75k-or-60k-Audi-vs-Audi&p=63773#post63773 But as that was 2008 views / experience may of changed.

In 2010 Audi sent me a letter stating:

Based on UK roads and driving conditions Audi now recommend that you [sic] Cam Belt is changed at 75,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

I have a TDi. Diesels seem to have a more frequent/lower mileage. As mine is remapped I go for every 4 years. A friend of mine had a cambelt go on an A3 some years back and it cost him £7k for new engine.

This post is worth a read: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?13096-The-A2-Cambelt-Debate&p=100797#post100797 and plums for 4 years or 60k miles.

The tensioners should also be changed and most people have the water pump changed at the same time and all the belts changed (2 or 3 depending on the engine type).

As Sarge says, change it asap; you don't know how harshly the previous owner drove the A2. Also, I see you have the 1.6 FSI petrol so it might have been driven a bit more vigorously!

Hope this helps (rather than confuses!) and you many happy years of driving your A2. You've bought a great car and joined a great forum.

Hi, I have just picked up my new A2 1.6 SE silver with blue leather 04 plate 53k, really pleased with it all seems to be well and spotless inside and out.
One question - cam belt last changed 6 years ago - at about 29k - i don't do many miles but does this need to be done urgently.

Ben

Hi Ben,
Welcome to a great club, sounds as if you've picked yourself up a lovely A2 with good mileage and condition, there's always plenty of help on the forum if you need it, if you get a chance maybe post some pics of you're car for all to see!
Be great to see you at a social meet in the new year too!
Cheers Jeff

Back