New Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

runboy

Anyone had this problem with their A2....?

A couple of weeks ago the ignition lock started to play up-I couldn't get the key in, and when I did it was like trying to turn a key in thick tar. When I eventually got the car started the key stuck in the "on" position meaning the starter motor was constantly turning, and if I tried to turn the key back to stop it would go too far and switch the engine off. After doing this I eventually got the thing going without the starter motor turning all the time.

Got it home and called the AA who turned up, did a bit of playing around and sprayed oil on the key. This worked and freed up the barrel up so I thought nothing of it and couldn't be bothered to take the car to the dealer.

Then Christmas day comes and it does exactly the same-great-thought I was stuck away from home. Managed to get the car started and got home. Took the key out but the ignition stuck in the "on" position (engine not running) so I couldn't use the remote and the interior light didn't come on, radio turn off etc. Another squirt of oil cured it but for how long I don't know.

Told the dealer to book it in but has anyone had the same happen to them and what was the cure?.

Oh and started the car this morning and it was running on skippy juice-engine revs were up and down like a kangeroo. Took about 30 seconds to calm down but why did it do it?.

Jeeze-Audi quality eh?.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

In reply to the second problem runboy, my car does the rev thing most days, audi's technical genius said they didn't know what it was. I've heard that one before im sure !![:p]

2002, 1.4, azure blue, 2 tone leather, concert II single cd. Member of A2OC site.

Steve,

Those Hungarians are not use to building cars from French components, so perhaps a carrot root found its way into the key ignition barrel. Anyway I would not get into any debate with your dealer but simply insist that they change the assembly promptly.

My experiences (and those of others) in the engine revving up on its own accord have not been exactly the same as what you describe, however with cars being so sophisticated these days it often seems an impossible task for a dealer to isolate the fault – unless its permanent. I wonder if the fault is triggered by an unsound sensor (maybe a temperature sensor) which simply fails to immediately perform accurately if it wakes up with a headache ?

As matters stand it appears as though VAG have not been having a good time of late, and now it appears that internationally there is/has been a major problem with electrical coil packs. Firstly it was thought to only effect petrol turbo’s but now it transpires it goes further than that. Apparently there is a worldwide shortage of the replacement part (being used on VW’s, Audi’s, Seat’s & Skoda’s), and although its said VAG have redesigned this component once before they are resigned to doing it again in early 2003.

What I can say is that if you speak to a Honda or Toyota owner they will look at you in disbelief that a new car has to be taken back to the garage with any serious complaint. I might add that many of us complain about Audi dealers and standards, but it appears that in Britain and America VW dealers are all considered a bad joke. I have not found this as yet but I expect my time will come.

Regards
John Disdale

Mal2002-I know what you mean "sir, that's the first time I have seen that problem on any Audi in all 5 months of my working life-it won't happen again sir so don't worry".

JDi-Any problem with my A2 only brings a little chuckle to my face as my doctor says any more A2 related stress may cause me to commit violence against any Audi brochure.
The engine thing hasn't arisen again, so maybe it was just the car seeking attention-jumped up little brat.

You mention Honda and Toyota-I've been looking at these very brands these past few days as an A2 replacement is now a cert (man and woman break up-woman and man want car each so existing car goes scenario). Test drove a Civic 1.4 and it was OK-didn't set my soul on fire but was a demo with 6000 miles on the clock so nice and loose. No cabin noise, went very well for a 1.4 in town (didn't make any fast roads) and was a general OK type of car. Interior a bit plasticky looking but well equiped for the dosh. Would like to try a 1.6-sounds fast but needs to be revved like like Mellor liked toe sucking....

Could only sit in a Corolla and play with the interior but looked very nice and well screwed together. Good car for the money.

Also drove a new Seat Ibiza 1.2 (3 cyl)-boy did that go-got my eye on a 1.4 Sport though. Very nice car if a bit small to what I am now used to. Got some cracking deals on Leons too-my previous car. Drove the new 1.6 with a 16v engine-nice improvement but the Leon still feels a bit heavy. A long drive around town and it's tiring. But for £10k it is a damm fine deal.

As for Renualt Megane.......again like the Corolla can't drive until the weekend but it is a nice car inside and out-nice panel fit, paint and a good thunk to the doors. Interior is very Germanic feeling too so looking forward to taking that one for a spin.

Only downer is an offer of £9500 on the A2-a car registered in Sept 2002 with 2.5k on the clock and cost £14.5k. Darn Audi residuals-worse than a Lada!.

Steve - the Civic is a great car, it's just the interior is a bit of a let down, as you say.
The Corolla is nice inside and also a good drive - I'm sure you will enjot it.
I like the Seat's (we've had this conversation before), I'm just not sure they had the reliability of Honda/Toyota. Would you be getting back into the VW group scenario with a Seat? I don't know.

My wife has run 3 Hondas (CRV, Stream, New CRV) and I have run 1 (Accord), my Company has run 3 (Accords). No problems with any of them. PX on the CRV was amazing. Accord residuals a bit low, but we bought them as 5000 mile ex management cars, so paid low money in the first place. We have not had any un-scheduled visits with the Hondas; reliablilty is great. No Rattles. Fantastic cars.

Have a good play in the Corolla - my only criticism was that the GTi version (can't remember the actual name) has a resonance at 75-80 from the engine, but I believe it's only this model that has that problem.

I have now had 3 Audi's (A6, S3, A2) and they all had niggles; the A6 was the worst.

Hope you get what you want!

MartinW

Steve - forgot to say that my daughter has a Renault Scenic. It's a usefull car, but thing have fallne off it over 4 years of owenership; mostly interior trim bits. You might not like Renault's long term quality.

MartinW

martinw-thanks for the comments.

Having gone through the spec sheet, the Honda is out of the running-Toyota much better for the money and the nicer looking. Just hope the test drive is good.

I've had 4 Seats, the last a Leon before the current A2 and I can only praise them. Very little went wrong, but what helped the most is a dealer who will bend over backwards to help the customer. That's why the Audi experience is such a let down of what is touted as a premium brand (and in peoples mind over Seat, Skoda etc).

And I am still unsure of Renault-french cars and electics never seem to mix well!.

Steve

Steering lock. A coleague with a Passat - same Huf lock - had what appears to be a similar fault when he could not get the key in the lock at all. AA failed, VW failed, emergency plastic key failed. Car was parked under a tree with wheels at an angle so they could not even recover it. After a couple of days the problem cleared itself and VW have not been able to explain the fault!!!

We had a Renault Scenic for three years (14,000 miles) and while ride was fine, if you could put up with the body roll, it was starting to fall apart when we sold it - durability was poor so I would not buy another Renault. My brother-in-law has a Toyota Corolla (1.4?) and in two years has had no problems at all.

Regards

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.

I had a slight ignition problem with my Punto a few months ago, but all it needed was a strong hand and has been fine since - that was the only time I'd parked with wheels pointing non-straight...

Another similar strange starting problem happened to my girlfriends Corsa last week... We'd gone to Norfolk to her family for a few days 26-7th and returned happily in my Punto. The following day she tried to go to work when her 4.4 year old Vauxhall needed 3 tries to start before reversing all of 0.5 metres and dying! Then not starting, followed by starting with wierd noises. Once I came round and took it out for a test it had cured itself.

I think cars have feelings you know - My Punto's been behaving so well that I can't help but want to keep it for longer... Still Guildford Audi don't seem to care about contacting me, even after Audi UK following up my interest from the motor show. Even Smart got in touch to see how I was doing... (the new roadsters are due out in April)

Steve - It seems your A2 expereince has been nothing but problems. I'd also suggest trying out a Fiat Stilo to compare against the others. I've seen 1.6 Dynamic's (mid range) going for £8.5k about 9 months old, and new ones are well priced for the spec. Even year old Abarth's with all the trimmings (leather, sat-nav, semi-auto, 2.4) can be had for £12k...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back