new steering rack now brake warning light..

I have just had a new steering rack, track rod end and new tyre fitted but now I have a beep when starting and some kind of brake warning light. The garage that did the work (not Audi but it was sent to Audi to reset some codes) they said its probably a wear indicator, but it wasnt on before, no miles have been driven and it seems far too much of a coincidence to me !!
Whats your opinion guys please...could a sensor have been damaged when fitting the new rack...how can I tell?
Cheers,
Haudi Partner.

This may sound like a silly question but is your steering wheel straight if it is i could be an ABS sensor. If it isnt i could be a sensor under the steering wheel.

no, not a silly question mate...all ideas are welcome before I take it into Audi again on Monday...the wheel seems pretty straight...they said the alignment was perfect. Are there ABS or speed sensors elsewhere? what are the warnings for ABS problems and also pad wear ? I am seeing a circle inside brackets... (o) type of thing....I dont have a manul to look it up.
Thanks guys....

A yellow circle inside brackets indicates worn brake pads
If its red, with a ! inside the circle its a faulty brake system
ABS faults generaly flash up after the car runs through a self check and is travelling more than 5 mph (could be 10 mph)

If they needed to lower the subframe to do the steering rack its possible the brake pad sensor cable or connector may have been damaged. (Its on the front passenger side)

Cheers Spike

A yellow circle inside brackets indicates worn brake pads
If its red, with a ! inside the circle its a faulty brake system
ABS faults generaly flash up after the car runs through a self check and is travelling more than 5 mph (could be 10 mph)

If they needed to lower the subframe to do the steering rack its possible the brake pad sensor cable or connector may have been damaged. (Its on the front passenger side)

Cheers Spike

Thank you again Spike, they have been working on the front passenger side wheel as well as the steering rack...are there some sensors/connectors on the steering rack?

I think they've broken the brake pad wear indicator inadvertantly - it's very easily done.

I saw a snapped connector only yesterday and the fix is pretty simple.

Cheers,

Mike

Well today the warning is not there !!! It was the yellow one, single beep so brake pad wear related...if the pads are worn could it be that the warning comes on for 25 miles or so...as if there is a thin layer off conductive material iin the pads to short out the sensor...then goes off again...or , more likely a loose cable or connector somewhere? Anyone know what happens when the pads really are low?
Thanks all....
Haudi.

Back