New TDI Sport owner - North West

whitbytom

Hi all,

Thought I'd drop a post in here as I've been perusing the forum a fair bit the last couple of weeks. Yesterday I took the plunge and bought an '03 TDI Sport in Light Silver, from a local advert. I've been a fan of the A2 since I was an Audi salesman in 2005-07, my first demonstrator was a TDI SE and at the time all our service loan cars were A2's of some description. They were in production for less than a year after I started with Audi and I barely sold a handful. They developed a bad reputation for coming back for warranty work (FSIs particularly) so most people opted for an A3 sportback over an A2. Anyway I'm preaching to the choir here, I like them!

So here is my purchase:

IMG_3720.jpg

The car I've bought seems to be in pretty good condition, the bodywork is tidy enough and the thing has clearly had some love over the years, but there are a few jobs I've identified that I will need to address in the next few weeks:

1. The oil level sensor has packed in - the yellow warning is flashing (oil level on the dip stick is fine)
2. The washer bottle level sensor has also given up - another annoying flash and beep on startup.
3. I don't have any proof of a timing belt change since 85k and the car has done 135k 😬 so I need to investigate.
4. I need to replace the fuel filler flap as it's broken (I have one on hand).
5. The water trap for the driver's side bonnet drain is missing, so I need one of those.
6. I will probably give it a full engine and gearbox service for peace of mind.

I've also got a little wager going with my father in law over running costs. He's a big EV fan and runs a Mercedes EQA, which he thinks is incredibly cheap to run. I've worked out at current electricity rates it's costing him 8.5p a mile to run - I think I can come close with my 19 year old diesel, but he disagrees! We'll see I guess.

Welcome to the forum! Almost all the repair and servicing info you will ever need (and a lot more besides) is contained within these pages and you live as mentioned, right next to 2 of the a2oc legends so lucky you!

From your job list I would say bonnet drain and cam belt are the most urgent. Make sure all your earth points are in good order and battery is holding good charge. I’m currently running around 14p per mile for fuel which is pretty good considering the current prices. Back when fuel was cheap, 8p per mile was definitely achievable. Your 17” rs4 replica wheels look fab, but will buckle easily (if not already) and the weight will impact your economy. It all depends on your mileage - if you don’t cover a lot of miles I wouldn’t worry about the wheels as they look so good.

Hi all,

Thought I'd drop a post in here as I've been perusing the forum a fair bit the last couple of weeks. Yesterday I took the plunge and bought an '03 TDI Sport in Light Silver, from a local advert. I've been a fan of the A2 since I was an Audi salesman in 2005-07, my first demonstrator was a TDI SE and at the time all our service loan cars were A2's of some description. They were in production for less than a year after I started with Audi and I barely sold a handful. They developed a bad reputation for coming back for warranty work (FSIs particularly) so most people opted for an A3 sportback over an A2. Anyway I'm preaching to the choir here, I like them!

So here is my purchase:

View attachment 97526

The car I've bought seems to be in pretty good condition, the bodywork is tidy enough and the thing has clearly had some love over the years, but there are a few jobs I've identified that I will need to address in the next few weeks:

1. The oil level sensor has packed in - the yellow warning is flashing (oil level on the dip stick is fine)
2. The washer bottle level sensor has also given up - another annoying flash and beep on startup.
3. I don't have any proof of a timing belt change since 85k and the car has done 135k 😬 so I need to investigate.
5. The water trap for the driver's side bonnet drain is missing, so I need one of those.

I've also got a little wager going with my father in law over running costs. He's a big EV fan and runs a Mercedes EQA, which he thinks is incredibly cheap to run. I've worked out at current electricity rates it's costing him 8.5p a mile to run - I think I can come close with my 19 year old diesel, but he disagrees! We'll see I guess.
It’s only costing him 8.5p per mile if he doesn’t take into account depreciation!!! I think you’ll struggle to match him at current fuel prices sadly but if you factor his depreciation vs your stagnant/appreciating value he won’t even come close! Even my 1.2 which goes circa 22 miles per litre day to day driving can’t match 8.5p per mile any more 🙄

Hi all,

So here is my purchase:

View attachment 97526

3. I don't have any proof of a timing belt change since 85k and the car has done 135k so I need to investigate.

I’m also in st Anne’s and it’s fair to say I know my way around the A2
Let me know if you need anything in specific

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, sir.

Do not hesitate, replace the cam belt and water pump right away. Paul @depronman may well be able to help. Not advised to go to "yer average garage" for this vital job!

Good luck.

I do like them in silver, the colour seems to really suit the shape, looks like a nice example - hope that it treats you well and welcome to the A2OC

Depends on what you count as costs but based on fuel alone this will be a stretch to beat. I'm getting ~80 mpg in the current weather but with the current diesel price this equates to around 11p per mile based on fuel costs alone

Hi all,

So here is my purchase:

View attachment 97526

I'm just the other side of the airport on the Blackpool side so not far away either.
While you're checking out your new pride and joy give the front lower suspension arm a good checking over. Mines a ,2003 with 138K and after giving it a good clean found the holes of doom. Now turned into a long term project when I get the time.

Hi all,

So here is my purchase:

View attachment 97526

Great to see your servicing plans, as a recent convert to the pleasures of A2 ownership, it's a logical, sensible ans sustainable strategy. Interesting discussions with your father-in-law... for the financial equation, all you need is to factor in a) the loss of capital appreciation to buy your respective vehicles (A2 @ £2-£3k, MB @ £50k) together with b) the projected annual depreciation (A2 = 0, MB @ - £5-£10k) before you even start on the respective fuel/energy costs per mile/annum! The final factor is the long-term life-cycle A2 non-ferrous aluminium construction versus MB ferrous steel... You're the winner!

Thanks all! Great to know there are knowledgeable friendly A2 folk local.

I'm on the hunt for the missing water trap already (in case anyone has one?) and I’ve made notes of all your other suggested checks. I’ll probably look to do the cam belt/water pump myself and as much other stuff as possible, I’ve taken on most jobs on my cars over the years including a couple of engine swaps and I’m mid way through a ground up rebuild on my old Land Rover.

The MPG competition thing was a bit of a flippant argument to be honest, although assuming domestic electricity prices almost double to the 50p/kWh they’re projecting and that fuel won’t rise at the same rate, the gap might narrow. As you say I'd always win the monthly payment/depreciation game!

Thanks all! Great to know there are knowledgeable friendly A2 folk local.

I'm on the hunt for the missing water trap already (in case anyone has one?) and I’ve made notes of all your other suggested checks. I’ll probably look to do the cam belt/water pump myself and as much other stuff as possible, I’ve taken on most jobs on my cars over the years including a couple of engine swaps and I’m mid way through a ground up rebuild on my old Land Rover.

The MPG competition thing was a bit of a flippant argument to be honest, although assuming domestic electricity prices almost double to the 50p/kWh they’re projecting and that fuel won’t rise at the same rate, the gap might narrow. As you say I'd always win the monthly payment/depreciation game!
If you are happy with a used part, the first step is to ask the holy trinity, A2Steve, Clackers, Ami. Failing that put a general ad in Wanted (you have joined the Marketplace?).

Andy

Congrats, is a clean car I looked at it myself but dithered too long haha, btw it has a super rare votex rear spoiler fitted to it :)

Looks like a great car indeed - I am from the North West near Ormskirk but live over in France most of the time now ! Welcome on board !!

I’ve had the opportunity to get my hands dirty on the car now, I’ve already fixed a few bits for free and I’ve drawn up an initial list of parts I need. I guess I should start something in the projects section!

I've got a number of under bonnet water traps available, drop me a Pm and we'll sort something out. For spares, there is a 'wanted' section on here, with a number of folk ready to help out with bits and bobs for you @A2Steve @Ami and myself have an abundance of items between us.
Welcome on board, get ready to be well and truly attached to the aluminium bullet!!!

I've got a number of under bonnet water traps available, drop me a Pm and we'll sort something out. For spares, there is a 'wanted' section on here, with a number of folk ready to help out with bits and bobs for you @A2Steve @Ami and myself have an abundance of items between us.
Welcome on board, get ready to be well and truly attached to the aluminium bullet!!!
Thanks for the offer! As it happens, the water trap was a free fix, someone had removed it from its bracket and it was dangling by its hose under the headlight. I’ve clipped it back in place now 👍🏻

We tested the load carrying capacity of the silver bullet last week - my wife and 2 two boys took it camping to the lakes for a few days. I took out one of the rear seats and it took our 5 man tent and all the associated paraphernalia plus food, all crammed into the little tardis. Very impressed!

1662465052459.png

1662465170840.png

Must admit it does look good a little lower 😊

We tested the load carrying capacity of the silver bullet last week - my wife and 2 two boys took it camping to the lakes for a few days. I took out one of the rear seats and it took our 5 man tent and all the associated paraphernalia plus food, all crammed into the little tardis. Very impressed!

View attachment 99023

View attachment 99024

Must admit it does look good a little lower 😊
I take it you had an electric hook up

Back