New to Audi and definitely new to A2’s

NickM5

Hi all. I’m new to Audi ownership (always been a BMW man myself) and what better way to start than with an A2. I bought this one just over a month ago now and it’s been keeping me busy. The idea is/was to keep the costs down as much as possible and this club has been a veritable gold mine of information so a thank you to all those that have posted helpful hints and tips😊

So far it’s had:

Full service including the death pipe, waterpump, cambelt, plugs and all the filters

Rattlecan alloy wheel refurb as they were in a right state and are a temporary fix until I get some decent aftermarket ones for it

Resprayed the spoiler and cleared away all the mineral deposits that had accumulated around it (white vinegar is good for that if anyone else is suffering with it)

Refurbished the wiper arm (and gave it a new wiper while I was there)

New numberplates

Replaced rear passenger light cluster which was cracked

Full wet vac on the interior and a deep clean on the exterior

Removed the poor quality (and illegally dark) tints on the front windows

Fitted the obligatory A2OC badge😉

There’s still a lot to do on it cosmetically - soft touch plastic wear, scrapes on the front wings when then bonnet has been knocked into them, various scratches and dings…you get the idea. I’ll work through those as time goes by, but overall she scrubs up reasonably well for a 20yo car

I do have a couple of questions if someone can please provide an answer. Firstly - are the coolant expansion tanks the same across the models? Mine has a slight leak coming from the coolant tank cap area (new cap already fitted) and the mechanic believes the tank maybe faulty as the old cap was knackered. I actually found pieces of plastic floating in the tank (including some kind of pipe) so it’s clearly very brittle and needs replacing. Secondly should the water temperature remain at 90? Mine goes to maybe 95 on occasion then comes back down to 90 (with regular use - she’s not exactly being thrashed around!). These are obviously old cars so little idiosyncrasies are to be expected - I just want to establish what’s normal.

And finally a few photos for your viewing pleasure!

Cheers

Nick

Attachments

• IMG_8099.jpeg
    IMG_8099.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_8100.jpeg
    IMG_8100.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 108
Cheers. Its an FSI so I’m expecting it to explode into a million pieces at any second 😉. To be fair actually drives ok. It’s on 110k, gearbox is very good, engine pulls well - she just needs a bit more TLC

Salutations for your bravery, Sir.

Loads of good advice on here, Cambelt and water pump fairly central to proceedings, but I think you already know that.
You are fortunate in having the quite wonderful B&F Autos over in West Hounslow, know their stuff on A2's and don't charge like a wounded Rhino!
Gary is the man to talk to. They're a short walk from the tube as well.

Regards,

Simon

Haha - I’ll be honest - I hadn’t researched all the FSI’s ‘attributes’ and in hindsight I think I may have gone for a 1.4 petrol instead but…..too late now! I’ve spent just as much getting it to where it’s at as what it cost me so I’m all in on this. Plenty of things still to do but it’s actually been quite nice getting back to doing a bit of DIY on a car.

That M5 is freakin loooooovely... 👏
Thanks 😊. I’ve had it about 9 months now. It literally takes my breath away when I put my foot down (on my private airfield of course…). I’ve had a few fast cars over the years but nothing comes close to how that accelerates - it’s brutal. Only problem is I’m too scared to leave it anywhere and it does attract the wrong sort of attention so….A2 to the rescue😊

Hi and welcome, looks very nice already

I think this is the right diagram for the FSI, item 35

General consensus for the FSI is to get yourself a copy of VCDS so you can scan for errors, read measuring blocks etc

Best wishes

J
Thank you so much. There’s actually a lot of acronyms on this website that I have no idea of their meaning so I’ve been attempting to decipher things as I have been browsing. I’ll apologise in advance for my cluelessness though! What is a VCDS and is there a recommended code reader I should be looking at getting? 😊

Thank you so much. There’s actually a lot of acronyms on this website that I have no idea of their meaning so I’ve been attempting to decipher things as I have been browsing. I’ll apologise in advance for my cluelessness though! What is a VCDS and is there a recommended code reader I should be looking at getting? 😊
Hi Nick,

VAG-COM Diagnostic System 'VCDS' is THE diagnostic tool thats perfect for the A2, especially for the FSI owner.

Until you obtain VCDS Lite as a minimum then this link to the Free `Scan Register could prove helpful:

Kind regards,

Tom

Also……how many cooling pipes?! Jesus😂. I thought my old Renault 5 GT Turbo was bad but this is on another level!😳

Thank you Tom that’s very much appreciated👍🏻
Hi Nick,

No problems at all, welcome aboard. You're in the right place to have your many future questions answered; keep'em coming as we like to assist.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Nick,

No problems at all, welcome aboard. You're in the right place to have your many future questions answered; keep'em coming as we like to assist.

Kind regards,

Tom
Cheers. The site is incredibly useful and has helped me out several times when I was just lurking in the shadows trying to figure out how to do things. I can see that A2 owners are very passionate about their little aluminium chariots, so I’m looking forward to finding out more as time goes by 😊

Hi and welcome Nick.
I have just bought an FSI too. I'm a long time Audi fan and swapped a Mk1 TT for the A2. Loving it so far to be fair. I know it's not a sports car but far more practical and cheaper to run!
In answer to the temperature question. The gauge on the dash cluster is really only a drivers 'aid' and usually stays at 90deg position when warmed up. The coolant actually gets to around 105deg before thermostat opens and fan higher than that.
When you get yourself a scanner you can see live temperature data to put your mind at rest. I would also say that just because there are some common 'issues,traits,foibles' with these cars really doesn't mean yours will blow up tomorrow, far from it, also sometimes as good as forums like this are they can make you paranoid and looking for the next fault before it even raises it's head.
Just sayin.
Enjoy

Hi and welcome Nick.
I have just bought an FSI too. I'm a long time Audi fan and swapped a Mk1 TT for the A2. Loving it so far to be fair. I know it's not a sports car but far more practical and cheaper to run!
In answer to the temperature question. The gauge on the dash cluster is really only a drivers 'aid' and usually stays at 90deg position when warmed up. The coolant actually gets to around 105deg before thermostat opens and fan higher than that.
When you get yourself a scanner you can see live temperature data to put your mind at rest. I would also say that just because there are some common 'issues,traits,foibles' with these cars really doesn't mean yours will blow up tomorrow, far from it, also sometimes as good as forums like this are they can make you paranoid and looking for the next fault before it even raises it's head.
Just sayin.
Enjoy
Cheers Mick. I did notice the fan comes on a bit late (around 95’ish). I’m hoping whatever my coolant leak is is nothing too serious (aka headgasket😳). It’s had a new pump, thermostat, death pipe and obviously fluid so the cooling system is as good as it’s going to get on that front. It’s holding steady at 90 but I deffo have a leak from the expansion tank as I’m getting a bit of steam from it and I can see the pink coolant on the outside of the tank.

I’ll try a new tank first and work backwards from there….

Back