newbi with a 90

baguln

Hi, decided to take the plunge and buy a 90tdi for the wife.
im a vag man that likes to play with things and sold my 1.9 4motion Passat to get the a2, only had it 2 days and have mapped it, ordered full service kit/oils etc and fitting egr bypass, may even try watermeth injection !!!!!
I work as a remapping agent and may be able to help a few people out.

Neil

Hi, decided to take the plunge and buy a 90tdi for the wife.
im a vag man that likes to play with things and sold my 1.9 4motion Passat to get the a2, only had it 2 days and have mapped it, ordered full service kit/oils etc and fitting egr bypass, may even try watermeth injection !!!!!
I work as a remapping agent and may be able to help a few people out.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Welcome to a great club and a very addictive car.

As for a remap, to me is the best performance mod by far and the "bang per buck" is fantastic.

Our cars will never be race-cars, but with a remap they are loads of fun to drive.

My wife also has a 90 but I daren't get it remapped because it would be so much fun to drive that I might not let her have it back.

Are you prepared to mention how much you are thinking of charging?
I am assuming that no rolling road is involved (but I always think that once you have the right "map" there is little need for the rolling road other than to show the graph of the power improvement.

I am sure that there are a few that would disagree but that is fine, I am never stubborn in my views.

It would be great to see pictures of the A2?

Perhaps even see it in the flesh at the next social?

Steve B

Welcome welcome. Another TDi 90 joins the club. Hopefully you'll find the site a wealth of information that will be of use to you. There is a mixture of cars in the club, modified, stock, original and used daily.
The next social will probably be March. Hopefully we'll see you then.

James

well as remapping is a side line for me i know a few good map writers and if its an edc15 ecu which ours have custom maps wont cost me a fortune.
would prob do members cars for £100 if they come to me, thats a good map with all your id (sw/hw and chassis number etc) not a library map written over the top.
i can do these cheaper and have some good ones but you will lose your vehicle id on the ecu.
and as you say no need for a rolling road as the maps where made doing this in the first place so we already have a good bench mark.
Yes you would get very very slightly better maps on a rolling road but at a cost !!

Neil

Or should that be the 125+ club?

I am tempted to have my wife's 90 remapped, but it is as quick as she needs already (she is no slowcoach).

It would be more fun for me though, we use her's more than we use "the project".

Steve B

Gave the car a good service weekend, changed the engine oil, gearbox oil, oil and air filters.
adjust gear linkage cables which went well (much nicer 1st and reverse now) also bought two bushes as there is a bit of movement in the gear change gearbox linkage so will fit this weekend and re adjust again, will do fuel filter this weekend.
also used liquie moly diesel purge and ran a good 1/2 litre through the injectors, WOW made a big difference so will also be adding a tin of injection cleaner to the fuel tank next time i fill up.
nice little car and the wife loves it.
im sure to have a play with things like decat, water injection etc so watch this space

As a bit of advice with the fuel filter, the nut to undo the casing is only plastic and its very easy to snap when undoing it or when tightening it. It's only 5Nm if I remember correctly and a replacement housing is £70+from the dealers. I've been there and have the T-shirt.

Ive recently bought a KWP2000plus to do this to my own A2 TDI as dont like wasting hard earned money on a rolling roads and a firm believer that once the identical car has been set up correctly on a rolling road the map would then be universal, and taking a copy of this would work fine, well as long as the car you next apply the coppied map to was in good health, fully serviced ect beforehand i see no problem with that myself, although you could probally find a few more horses if it was set up on a rolling road i see no point in standard tune, where if youd ported, changed injectors , air intakes and messed with the turbo it would then need a one off rolling road session to get the best gains .

i do agree that if the cars are both std and have the same functions IE latter cars might have different soft coding for ABS breaks or silly other things there is not much to be had extra by doing the full rolling road thing unless you want to pay loads more for small increases or have performance mods.
rule of thumb is to make sure the last 3 digits on the HW and SW numbers match and all should be good.
although the KWP lead is normally a piece of C**P.
same as 90% of cheap Chinese stuff, nightmare to install and can easily crash even if you car is supported.
European mpps lead is the best/cheapest way to go if you want to play with changing maps about £100-140 but beware a lot of map/files on offer specially ebay are not that good and can wreck your car.
your car you pay your money and take your chance LOL

limp mode now sorted, appears it was a dodgy injector, was a little unsure when I bought the car as it seemed a bit rough on idle and pulling away but seller and forums say these 3 cylinders are a bit rough low down. done a full service and used liquid moly diesel purge and car ran much much better, followed by a tank of diesel cleaner on next fill up and went for a good thrash.
no more limp mode, smoother running all round and on a AUTOBARN of course got over 4250 rpm and bottled it as was still picking up speed and very near the red line !!!
hopefully it will do a few more mpg now (away from the autobarn LOL)

Back