newbie a2 owner engine faults

jon500

Hi all, just become an A2 owner after buying a very nice low mileage 53 plate1.6fsi from an (reputable) auction. The car seems to have 3 faults, at least 2 of which could be linked. First, there is a very noticeable delay when pressing the accelerator before anything happens. Secondly, having driven 40miles on the motoway with no problems, upon exiting the m/way at the roundabout the engine spluttered badly before correcting itself after a minute or so. Thirdly, there is a bad rattle on the engine which just sounds like something vibrating but is nonetheless a little worrying.

I would be very grateful for any answers from some seasoned A2 owners as I don't trust dealers and their diagnostic gizmo's.
Jon

Hi Jon, welcome
The problem of lag on acceleration is well documented, I used to hate pulling out of junctions, however since switching to high RON Fuel (we use Shell Optimax) it has been noticably better. point 2 cannot help, never experienced it, point 3 .... mmmmm.... the diesel FSi :D it does have a very distinctive rattle at start up and idle.There are many members here with diagnostic packs that will be able to give you a full and honest view of the car, you need to post where you are based and I am sure somebody will be able to help.
Had you driven an FSi prior to buying this ? What sort of mileage has it done and what service history do you have ? Had you filled up prior to the trip on the motorway ? I have heard rumours that if you use a different RON fuel you can experience "missing" as the ECU "adjusts" but I am sure somebody more technical will be along soon to provide further assistance

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. Good point about the petrol, I'll try that as it does say in the handbook 98RON or 95 as opposed to 95 or 92 fo the 1.4, so may make a difference. The car has 44000 miles on it and has just 2 services in the book, the last one being 2000 miles ago. I've had bad luck with A2's so far having bought a 1.4 tdi last month only to experience severe power loss under acceleration - back that one went under warranty. Are these things more reliable than my experience suggests? I hope so as the missus and I love the cool looks. Anyway, I'm in Bolton if anyone knows of someone near me who can help, cheers

Lucky for u Mike Skipton are technical director lives not a million miles from you in Mossley and he will be able to give you vagcom scan and a very honest answer im sure he will be along shortly ....

Hi Jon,

If you want to pop down, I'll gladly do a full scan for you and see if there's anything amiss.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the offer. I'm going to see how I get on with it this week and if there are no improvements I'll be in touch.

Another query: aren't 1.6fsi SE's supposed to have climate? I was gobsmacked when I picked it up and found it had neither cc/air con or even a CD player! It clearly says SE in the V5.

It depends on the model year as to whether the SE had climate and cd or not - my first A2 had climate but no cd and was a 51 reg - packages varied over the life of the model.

Cheers,

Mike

Iam very interested to see the outcome of this lagg on acceleration
problem. My 1.4 sport petrol has same problem. It seems to be all or nothing
when pulling out at junctions, either nearly stalls or revs go through the roof
to catch it just right. It can be qiute frustrating and I have tried the more expensive petrol which had no effect at all. cheers.

Back