Newbie...Looking to buy an A2 TDI

lennyhope

Hi

I'm looking to buy a 1.4 TDI with a £3k budget. Are there two different power outputs?? Which is best for MPG? Are there any issues with blown turbos etc..as on the other derivative VAG TDI engines?

I was going to look for a 1.2 TDI in Germany but will probably just go for a 1.4 TDI. Fuel Economy is the goal...however....

You won't regret it; had the same budget for mine and have been running her since March. 8000 miles, a service, much polishing, a couple of interior trim bits replaced and some front ARB droplinks, I'm really happy with her! I get at least 415 miles to the tank without trying; 467 if I take it easy... Good luck with your search! :D

You won't regret it; had the same budget for mine and have been running her since March. 8000 miles, a service, much polishing, a couple of interior trim bits replaced and some front ARB droplinks, I'm really happy with her! I get at least 415 miles to the tank without trying; 467 if I take it easy... Good luck with your search! :D

Are there too different power outputs on 1.4 TDI engines? Im also a little worried about space....i would be compromising on space as I have two teenage kids. One solution is the inevitable roof box.

Any other buying tips??

Hi, I've got the 75bhp variant, but there is a 90bhp sport version too. These cars are surprisingly spacious; my four seater even features removable rear seats! Murdo sent me an excellent buyers guide! :)

Hi Lennyhope,

Yes, the 1.4 TDI exists with two different power outputs: 75bhp and 90bhp. Contrary to what Leopard says above, both were available in Sport guise, but this has nothing to do with the engine; it's a trim level, determining which options were fitted as standard.

The TDI90 is much less common as it was only available for a short period and was sold alongside the TDI75. Consequently, prices for the 90 tend to be fractionally higher.
Although some members with a 90 have posted very high fuel efficiency scores, the general consensus is that the 75 is marginally better on fuel. Furthermore, the 90 is widely acknowledged to be less reliable than the 75, principally due to its fragile dual mass flywheel and (to a lesser extent) its variable vane turbo.

In short, if you're looking out-n-out frugal motoring, the TDI75 is probably the better option for you.

All models were available in three trim levels -
Base is the basic car: no bells and whistles, but also as light as possible.
SE adds some nice comforts such as climate control and leather steering wheel, etc. The SE is the most common trim level and can be recognised by the classic 6-spoke alloys and the addition of front fog lights.
Sport models can be recognised by their 17" 9-spoke alloys. The major advantage of a Sport from your perspective is that DIS (the in-built computer than tracks average fuel consumption) was fitted as standard. With Base and SE models, this feature was not included. The drawback of a Sport (unless you swap them) is that those 17" alloys are bad for fuel efficiency.

All toys were available as paid-for options on all trim levels, but finding an SE where the original purchaser chose to add DIS is a challenge.

I hope this helps. Your questions have been asked and answered many times before, so a search is likely to lead to the info you seek. However, the forum's own search feature is rubbish, so I suggest using Google and including the term site:a2oc.net at the end of your search term to limit Google to the contents of these pages. Anything you can't find, just ask. :)

All the best with your hunt,

Tom

Last edited:
Are there too different power outputs on 1.4 TDI engines? Im also a little worried about space....i would be compromising on space as I have two teenage kids. One solution is the inevitable roof box.

Any other buying tips??

Space is no problem, I am 6' tall and I can sit comfortably in the drivers seat and then get out and into the back seat and my knees are still not touching the back of the drivers seat.

We have a 5 sweater too and frequently have 5 adults on sone reasonably long journeys and that is perfectly ok too.

So four adults / teenagers is absolutely no problem whatsoever.

Steve B

Back