Information Newbie

Iqbal

Hi all,

A Newbie to the forums here looking to purchase our first A2. Looked at Micra's, Polo's and Fiesta's, but decided on an A2 because it seems to look much more versatile.

Has to be the 1.6 FSI so any info, advice, do's and don'ts please feel free to shout them now!

Thanks!

Hi, Salaam, Iqbal Welcome to the forum, Firstly you have made a good decision on buying an A2.

There are a couple good people with skills to sort amongst the cars available and will advise you appropriately. So just hang on and let them wake up as its only 1:40 AM ...LOL :)

Cheers

SARGE

Welcome Ibqal. Please read the buying and owning an A2 thread. Theres really good advice on there. Tell us your budget and preferences and we'll try and help you find the right car. If you keep your eyes on the 'Spotted' forum I usually add any cars from the classifieds that look interesting/ well spec'd and competitively priced. ( Im unashamedly biased towards TDi's right enough - so I'll need to start scouring the petrol ads as well.)
If you let us know the rough area you live in, the best classifieds etc can also be recommended.

Last edited:
Thanks Murdo, and Salaams to you also Sarge.

Well I've done a deal on an 03 A2 1.6FSI for £4700.00 which I'm picking up today. Will let you know my first thoughts once I've been behind the wheel.

Sarge, I read your story and and was truly amazed, I see your also in London, well I'm in East London so maybe we should consider hooking up sometime for a cuppa Cha and Samosas. ;)

Well I've done a deal on an 03 A2 1.6FSI for £4700.00 which I'm picking up today. Will let you know my first thoughts once I've been behind the wheel.

Sarge, I read your story and and was truly amazed, I see your also in London, well I'm in East London so maybe we should consider hooking up sometime for a cuppa Cha and Samosas. ;)

Hey that didn't take you long, well done! Welcome to the A2 ownership experience, don't forget to fasten your seat belts...LOL :)

Thank you for your kind comments on Shoby Car, and yep don't mind a cuppa chai and Somosas .... ;)

Cheers

SARGE

Hey can I come for a cuppa cha and join in the chat also (especially as I have the 1.6fsi variant too!!!???!!!) ...please?

Hey can I come for a cuppa cha and join in the chat also (especially as I have the 1.6fsi variant too!!!???!!!) ...please?

Off course you can, don't see why not, except that you guys wanna show me up with your 1.6's and with poor little Shoby Car being 1.4, that conspiracy is still at work then I see Mik :p ....LOL :)

So Iqbal, let us know when the somosa's are ready ...lol

:D
Regards
SARGE

ohhh, errr that wasn't the intention Sarge - honest! :( ...this conspiracy theory works in mysterious ways though hey!?! :eek: :rolleyes:

Well you could always take a drive in UBE if you like??? - just don't know if you will think thats a furher conspiracy??? :p

ohhh, errr that wasn't the intention Sarge - honest! :( ...this conspiracy theory works in mysterious ways though hey!?! :eek: :rolleyes:

Well you could always take a drive in UBE if you like??? - just don't know if you will think thats a furher conspiracy??? :p

LOL ... I was joking Mik :p, anyhow, would love to see UBE :)

I picked up my 03 plate 1.6 FSI just over a week ago and absolutely love it - hope you enjoy yours as much as I do!

I picked up my 03 plate 1.6 FSI just over a week ago and absolutely love it - hope you enjoy yours as much as I do!

Hey Lisa, Well done, congrat's, I see the southerner's are gaining in numbers then. ;)

Hey, Mik, ANOTHER 1.6 ...LOL :)

SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, for the southerners and the 1.6fsi club members! ;) (...or even just the petrol owners!) :D

...I love my 1.6fsi also, especially when the power kicks in! :D

Well done, that was nifty footwork right enough - and an A2 party for the Londoners to boot. Mighty impressed :D

Ok folks, here goes, but before I get started I'll list down the rides I've owned...

1. Datsun 120Y Estate (A Pakistani's Classic)
2. VW Golf 1.1
3. VW Scirocco GLi
4. VW Scirocco GTX
5. BMW 7.30i AUTO SE
6. BMW 320i Coupe
7. BMW 525i SE AUTO
8. Nissan Micra 1.3 GX
9. Currently driving a Mitsubishi Spacewagon 2.4 GDi (Due to six kids)

and now a joint owner of an A2 1.6FSI, 2003, 2 Owners, Metallic Silver, FSH, 38,000 miles, ABS, ASR, MOT & Tax till May 2010... for £5K.

Please tell me I've not been mugged? :eek:

Anyway, first thoughts...

The firm suspension was felt immediately, it's a little noisy at high revs especially when travelling between 80-90mph down the M1. I left Northampton with just under half a tank and arrived at East London with just under a quarter averaging between 70-80 mph. :) I can see myself saving a bit of money here.

Build quality and ergonomics are great, the mrs loves it, the neighbours love it, the ladies love it... I think the mrs don't want me to drive it! :D

I'm currently spending £200.00 per month on fuel in the Spacewagon which takes about £50.00 to fill up and returns 200 miles through traffic, please tell me I'll be spending less than half of that!

Till next time, a cuppa cha and samosas are on me!

Sarge, if your in Upton Park (East London) anytime give us a shout I want to meet Shoby.

Iqbal, I don't think I am getting anywhere near that kinda mileage from mine! :(

...but think something is still sus with my exhaust system somewhere!?!

I think you will definately be saving on petrol from the Mitsu space wagon though :D

Please tell me I've not been mugged? :eek:

I'm currently spending £200.00 per month on fuel in the Spacewagon which takes about £50.00 to fill up and returns 200 miles through traffic, please tell me I'll be spending less than half of that!

Hi Ibqal, you havent been mugged. You said the car was £4700, I assume its a Sport model from your comments on firm suspension?

http://www.virtual-showroom.co.uk/s...ront+Wheel+Drive&yearplate=2003|03&mileage=38

The 1.6FSi should return around 40mpg in mixed driving conditions, so you will get a lot more than 200 miles from your 34 litre fuel tank, while costing a fair bit less to fill up - down side is theres no way you'll fit 6 kids in the A2!

Last edited:
Hi Ibqal, you havent been mugged. You said the car was £4700, I assume its a Sport model from your comments on firm suspension?

The 1.6FSi should return around 40mpg in mixed driving conditions, so you will get a lot more than 200 miles from your 34 litre fuel tank, while costing a fair bit less to fill up - down side is theres no way you'll fit 6 kids in the A2!

Hi Murdo, the £4700 was one with 49K miles, this one I bought for £5K has only 39K, with a full year MOT & TAX, plus just been serviced 2K miles ago.

I suppose I've been too used to a Spacewagons softer suspension, regarding the fuel, I filled her up yesterday £36.00, done 20 miles so far and the needles not budged and that's got me smiling. :)

The spacewagon will only be used to cater for the 6 kids now.

PS. I'm thinking of buying 17" rims for it but wondered whether it has an impact on the fuel economy.

17 shouldn't have too much impact on fuel, the rotational distance is the same on the tyres except there is more friction with wider tyres on 17" wheels.

But it will make the ride even harder, that's for sure!

welcome to the (petrol) club

17 shouldn't have too much impact on fuel, the rotational distance is the same on the tyres except there is more friction with wider tyres on 17" wheels.

But it will make the ride even harder, that's for sure!

welcome to the (petrol) club

Just as I thought, thanks humps!

Back