Newcomers A2 check list?

Nigel245

A2OC Donor
Hi,:)

I wondered if there is a check list for the A2 for new owners of these great little cars. ie. Things through experience that owners have found to be a common occurrence on the A2.
I've been an owner just for a few short weeks like a few others I've noticed on here and wondered if there are common things to look and check upon when first brought and of course that need to be looked at at regular intervals.
I don't mean the obvious such as oil change and filters but perhaps things only relevant to the A2.

Hope all the above makes sense. I'm just hoping to keep a step ahead of anything that may be looming up especially as mine is a 10 yr old.

Thanks

Nigel:)

Well i would say the most common things to look out for are

Arb these are one of the most common faults as the old style anti-roll bars have a plastic sleeve that moves out of the rubber mounts thus resulting in a knocking of the suspention

Drop links also tend to go

For you keep the open sky well lubricated (if its not already a broken sky)

For me i'm getting ready to replace my 3rd door catch, started with the drivers door and i'm slowly going round the car (drivers door, drivers rear door and now passenger rear)

But there are things that you can do to your car as well like upgrade the mirrors to heated if they haven't already got them, just by replacing the mirror glass with the heated ones and conecting the cables up (as they are tucked away in the case ready for fitting), another mod that if you do alot of motorway driving get cruise fitted our very own Mike (Skipton) does this mod at his place or at socials (prior booking of course;))

Once you are hooked on getting it modded (you will trust me once you get talking to people your off:eek::D)

The TDi drives alot better with a remap and then it goes to suspention and so on and so on:D:D:D;)

Phil

Hi Phil and David,

When I went to buy a A2 I was not too bothered about the OSS but wow the one I brought had one fitted! I have since discovered its not an open sky:( It only wants to stay closed and groan so I'm looking at Rinner in Bad Tolz for a likely rescue. Waiting to hear back as now I've got one, I want it to work!:p

I like the idea of cruise control so will look in to that but also the heated mirrors too. I assume they are pre-wired into the mirror surround but currently just need to replace the glass. Are these auto or switched? Some on ebay I have just noticed not sure how easy to replace?

Thanks David for the link to the thread:)

Nigel

Hi Nigel

The mirrors are just a straight swap with ones with the elements in.

I used Audi ones, the wires are tucked in the mirror housing. They turn on when you turn on the rear heated window. People have had differing levels of success with after Market ones. The after Market ones I got were no good.
I even got a auto windscreen fitter to try to fit mine. He gave up after 30 minutes. I got the oem ones and fitted them myself in under 2 minutes..

So it's up to you:D

I think the only way to fix your coos is a road trip. But what a better way to get to know your new car:D

Mike is the man for your cruse control, you would not be able to tell it's not factory fitted.

Cheers

David

Back