Newly bought TDI 90 turbo problems.

AdamC

Hello everybody. My first post. Congratulations on a fantastic site. Hoping somebody may be able to help.
Bought our first A2, a March 2004 TDI SE 90 with 60k and FASH last monday (12th October) from an independant dealer. Included was a 3 month warranty which probably isnt worth the paper its written on.
I was aware through researching beforehand (mainly on this site) that there are often problems with the turbo on this model so tried my best to test this during a test drive.
But you guessed it, the following day my wife complains of no power whilst travelling up a long steep dual carriage way. I test drove the same road that evening and the engine warning light came on (Had not previously).
Informed dealer who referred me to warranty company who referred me to good garage scheme.
So I took poorly A2 to local garage on Thursday. He hooked it up to diagnostics which said turbo fault. He checked it over for leaks etc. and test drove then removed fault code and said to bring it back if any more problems and they will have to start ordering and changing parts. Problem has recurred repeatedly this week. It only happens under hard acceleration uphill and when you need a squirt of overtaking on the motorway. Sometimes engine light comes on sometimes not.
So my question is..... Based on forum members experience in what order should parts be replaced? i.e What is the most likely / cheapest way of fixing this common problem?
Thanks in advance. Adam.

Hi adam, welcome to the A2oc.
The two most common reasons for a 90 TDi going into limp home mode when under full load are a split aftercooler core and the variable vane turbo getting clogged up. It sounds like your garage has already checked the basic stuff like split aftercooler hoses etc but make sure this was a thorough check before buying expensive parts. There is more info here - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9754&highlight=variable+vane+turbo
And pics of a variable vane turbo from the same thread - http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/VNT15-Turbo/vnt15-turbo.html

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Hi, i had the same problem a couple of months ago with a previous 54 reg 1.4 TDI 90 SPORT, i bought it from down south and by the time i got home i had a limp mode turbo which gave the car a top speed of 55mph and a leaking aircon radiator. Phoned the dealer straight away and he said that because its friday the mechanic wouldn't be back untill the tuesday so if i could get a diagnostic done in the mean time (which both cost me £30 each) it would save the hassle of me bringing it back down to them and they would foot the bill for the repairs. After a lot of discussion :mad: so to speak from both parties they said after talking to trading standards i have to give them 3 attempts to fix the problem which was a build up of dirt in the turbo and then i can have my money back if im not satisfied, they knew that a new turbo for an A2 retails at about £700 and thats an aftermarket one where Audi charge £950 and then you have to get it fitted. Because i liked the car that much i even offered to pay some more money to get the car fixed which was almost £600, in the end they said that they don't like doing business with people from up north :confused: and inlight of whats happend they will give me my money back but minus wear and tear and the milage i had put on the car since i had it :eek:. So, some more stern words later they finally gave me back the full money in full for my car and that was the end of it. I say if you have this problem try and get your money back as soon as possible, because the more time they have messing around trying to fix it, it will cost you more money than you think. Hope this helps. :cool:

Always suspect a boost leak as prime culprit. Be extremely thorough there are many different pipes that can split or fall off and also the intercooler itself regularly fails. Best of luck.

Minor breakthrough.

Contacted York Audi today where the car had its last service . (deeply regret not investigating whilst buying the car). They said the car went in to them on 19th September with the same problem. Master technician diagnosed a sticking variable vane linkage and suggested a new turbo at £1879 minus undisclosed Audi goodwill offer. So previous owner promptly took it away and part exchanged it to the independant dealer where I bought it. Spoke to warranty company today who say turbo is covered. So have booked in to Wakefield Audi for a new turbo. Fingers crossed that warranty company will actually pay up. If not the car will have to be returned as I am sure the independant dealer knew about the problem and has palmed the problem on to me. Booked to have cambelt and waterpump at same time. They say they will match Stafford Audi price of £355.

Contacted York Audi today where the car had its last service . (deeply regret not investigating whilst buying the car). They said the car went in to them on 19th September with the same problem.

Sounds like you'll have a happy ending thanks to the warranty. The indy dealer may well have been unaware they had taken the car with this problem. Moral of the story - its always very worthwhile checking the history really carefully and the bonus when work is done within the Audi network is that you can access records on every nut tweaked and screen additive topped up! Good deal on your cambelt and waterpump too! ;) Enjoy the car! :D

Good luck! Get them to inspect the intercooler whilst all the guts of the engine are out just in case...

Back