Nice A2 On Ebay

How do you like your FSI? What don't you like about it? I'm considering swapping my wife's 1.4 for an FSI and so would be interested in your thoughts.

I imagine a diesel will be much noisier. I have a diesel TT and I have a debate with myself about swapping it for a petrol version about once a month.

Considering the diesel based purely on the fuel economy.

I love the FSI and have owned it from new so it would be difficult to let go of the car when I know its complete history. Over the past year I have monitored the fuel usage and am struggling to ever get 300 miles per tank (42litre). When I look at comparisons from other FSI owners through the forum this looks far lower than typical so I have to assume it's related to type of journey, use of climate control, driving (hopefully not!) . . etc

So I regularly look at the ads for a diesel A2 although perhaps it may not solve my problem.

If I list all the features I love about my A2 I'm not sure they would be specific to the FSI eg the main thing I dislike about the car is the extremely hard suspension.

Compared to other similar size vehicles I've driven, I feel the FSI holds speed well on the motorway and feels very robust. The initial pulling away from stationary however always feel a little hesitant but of course I'm very used to that after nearly ten years.

Thanks for your reply Cheshire Cat I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts too

Regards

Hilary

Hilary, if you want to swap cars for a few days and compare my fsi mpg with yours then I am up for that.
I get pretty much 9.5 miles per litre of super unleaded. Always have gotten that ever since new, appart from a couple of years ago when I had cracked egr pipe and a dicky injector.
My car is currently running better than new so am chuffed with it ( though am oggling the new bmw i3).

We went for the 1.4 because of the bad news stories on here about the FSI. I don't want any trouble and quite a few people say that their FSI gives them plenty.

Our car has 16" wheels and I can't say I've noticed the suspension is hard. I think it is a wonderful load carrier and is great for zipping around town but on the motorway fully laden you have to expect to change gears to overtake or go up steepish hills. That's why I am still tentatively looking at ads for FSI models. We usually get 300 -350 miles on a tank of fuel which I think is OK given the size of the tank.

My TT does 580 albeit on a bigger tank but makes the same kind of noises as a tractor. Grrrrrr!!!!

Andy

I assume that you've got a 1.4 petrol? Well if you need more power, then a "Stealthed" 1.4 diesel couldn't be better! There is lots of power and no struggling on hills, even when loaded! The characteristics of a diesel unit is to develop high torque at lower revs and with tuning, this is a revelation! I have the JDD "blue-motion" box fitted, and Boy!, am I one happy A2 owner! Oh, go for 15" wheels .... the comfort is so much improved!

David

I can echo these sentiments on the 1.4, its mostly no problem on A roads and motorways once you're up to speed, but as soon as you get on the twisties its seriously slow! Did a trip through Cumbria this week and it was just painfully lacking over the hills...the Stealthed TDI no doubt pulls like a train but for a more involving drive I'd take the FSI every time :)

Yes, I should have said 1.4 petrol.

How noisy is the diesel though?

I seem to have an aversion to diesels. I talked myself into buying a diesel TT. Told myself I would come to love it in time but two years later I'm looking at suitable petrol versions I could swap it for. It's OK when you are up and running but at the lights its really quite noisy. I suppose it needs stop start technology :D

We're off to Keswick tomorrow so I guess we'll be rowing it along again.

Andy

I seem to have an aversion to diesels. I talked myself into buying a diesel TT. Told myself I would come to love it in time but two years later I'm looking at suitable petrol versions I could swap it for....

We're off to Keswick tomorrow so I guess we'll be rowing it along again.

Andy

Call me old fashioned, but I'm much the same. In my head I know they're fantastic engines these days - in particular the latest gen BMW diesels I've ridden in are absolutely superb - but in my heart I just can't marry the idea of my ideal car and a Diesel engine (although I admit, I'd probably rather have a TDI A2 for the economy).

We're off to Glasgow tomorrow, no doubt some of the roads up there will be laborious...

Back to the original post.

I went to have a look at the car this afternoon.

Originally sold by Stoke Audi. It is no better than OK. All wheels need a refurb. Two have Kumho tyres two have ditch grabbers. The offside front bumper is scuffed on the black trim and the paint. Other areas of paintwork have scratches particularly around door handles. Some would polish out but others are through to undercoat. Bonnet has a two pence piece sized piece of lacquer missing. Could be bird poo or could be a poor paint repair.

In my opinion it is worth about a grand less than it is advertised for. Oh and its a four seater not five. Didn't feel positive enough to ask for a ride.

Andy

Thanks for that summary Andy. Has definitely made me feel more positive about mine.

Hope you find the right A2 if you're still looking to change yours.

Conrad - thank you for the offer to try your FSI. I'll PM you.

Hilary

Staying on this thread just to give an update on my fuel economy problem

New set of coil packs yesterday . . . like a new car!

May have improved the fuel economy?

Also the EML has gone out now so I'm very happy!

Hilary

Back