No turning back

SantfeKuss

Well, I started trying to put the Nav D into my single din A2 today. Everything working ok, but I have to have the TMC box fitted (Vag needs sorting ?)
Connected the plugs etc and radio works,ipod works and the sat nav is picking up the satellites.Found my location ok.
However, I have no illumination, I don't really want to wire into the speedo and GALA, but been reading that I may have to.This is well beyond me,so will be calling on my wifes brother :D
Have trimmed my climate control box, but.... head unit is a real tight fit widthwise, theres 2 lead like brackets on the side of the headunit at the back,same as the symphony's, and theres nowhere for these to fit in mine ?
Removal may be the only option, but these are the support pins normally.

New day tomorrow,may feel better about it.....8am start :cool:

hi

i almost did this in my A4 but gave up because i couldnt bare spoiling the car.

to answer the questions.

yes the whole thing needs to be VAG'ed with a VAGCOM

yes the illumination needs to be spliced with the GALA

ask on tyresmoke for the A4 conversions if you need guides

Well, have got it all fitted in the car,no photo's tho, I had to cut the dash the same as the guy on the german site.A few problems, I deffo need the wire from the speedometer,the sat-nav does'nt update just via the satellites,maybe because its cd based ? I need a live for the illumination, and need power from the ignition. Its 'on' all the time,and even tho I can switch it off I still feel it gonna drain the battery. Its off to Auto electrics tomorrow, see what they say. The gps reciever is finding the sats,between 2 and 7, but it says the car 'Is not on a digitized road' .This is because of the speed wire and the Gala I believe.

Would I do it again ? I don't think so :eek: Feel as tho I've butchered the car.The unit is a different shade of black,compared to the climate control etc. I need to find a way to 'fix' them into the car.Even tho they're a tight fit,they're not fastened. Any ideas ?

Will use this for awhile, but I'm deffo gonna replace it with the RNS-E system, more advanced etc. Have seen them for £600 on ebay,so will deffo have to be for a rainy day.......my wifes already spent my tax refund :D

Normally, there isn't one for post-CAN cars!

If you want to run a wire in, you'll have to get to the back of the dials and solder one in there and run it to the headunit - I did it for my aftermarket Blaupunkt (hence the Gala part in the sig.) and it works a treat.

Dunno which particular connector or pin it will be on your car, but if you send full details, I'll look it up for ya!

By full details, I mean the engine and transmission codes, as found on the data sticker in the service booklet, as well as the year and model of your A2

Hi santfekuss
Your early 2001 TDi SE should have engine code AMF and gearbox EWQ.
I reckon the gala wire is blue/yellow and should connect to pin 31 on the blue 32pin connector on the back of the instrument cluster. If you'r lucky this may terminate at pin1 of the black 8pin connector from the radio unit.

Skipton - as our wiring guru, do you agree ?

Cheers Spike

Yep, looked it up and that's completely right.

It was only ever fitted to Concert Cd players and up though - the basic Chorus tape deck came without Gala, even though it was available on the radios menu.

If the wire isn't there, it means taking the pod apart, runninga wire into the plug (easier than it looks and sounds) and then running that into the audio loom behind the radio.

You do have the workshop manuals dont you ;o)

Thanks for the info, even Auto electrics are stumped.
I'm thinking of trying to put it all back as it was now, best as I can. Been awake all night thinking about it.
My wifes right, I'm never happy with what I've got :(

Skipton01 said:
It was only ever fitted to Concert Cd players and up though - the basic Chorus tape deck came without Gala, even though it was available on the radios menu.
Our 2001 with a Chorus tape deck had Gala that worked, I thought. Cant check now as there's a Concert CD player in there instead...

Back