Noise from engine after switching off

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wildy

My A2 has started to make an electrical noise ( possibly from the fan ) after turning off engine. Engine temperature appears fine, and is not overheating. This can continue for upto 2 minutes after turning off ignition and is quite concerning. Also minimun oil light came on even though I had topped it up to maximum on engine dipstick only 3 months ago. I have driven approx 2000 miles in between, is this normal.I drive moderately and never put the engine under strain.

A2 TDi SE

The noise u r talking about - I noticed the same thing on my TDI as well on of these days. Besides the usual fan sound there is also a high electrical wistle. But up to now I have not paid much attention to it and put it down to the low temps we currently have in Germany. As for the Oil. The TDI seems to consume quite alot of Oil. Additionally, the Oil lamp seems to be extremely sensitive and prone to light up fairly early.

A2 1.4TDI Silver, CC, Blaupunkt Hamburg CD70, still fairly standard :(

Could it not be the Webasto additional heater? If you have the aircon switched on when it's cold.
Mine continues to whir for a while.

Werner Huysegoms

I don't have a Webasto additional heater?!? But the cc is on all the time in my car. I don't use the Econ button at all, so maybe that is in fact part of the explanation?! The car continuing to heat the inside for a while?!! Hum?! Maybe?!

Our A2 does this also during colder weather. We also leave the aircon switched on all the time. I wonder if this may be the compressor trying to purge any water that is left in the system (from the dehumidifier) to ensure that there is no risk of it freezing and causing damage....
My understanding is that the compressor is automatically switched off when the temperature gets down around freezing (2C ?) to avoid issues with the output water freezing.

I thought I had a turbo nestling under the bonnet of my 1.4 petrol, it sounded like a turbo winding down.
Apparently the wirring noise was the stepper motors for the ventiltation control flaps closing.

MartinW

Gentlemen,

All TDI's are equipped with the webasto additional heater. The reason is that the very economic TDI doesn't produce enhough heat to keep the interior warm and cosy.
The heater starts automagically when the outside temperature is below 5 degrees (plus minus) and when the engine coolant is below a certain treshold.
When the engine is stopped the heater starts it's cleaning cycle. The electrical fan will continu to blow air until the heater is cooled off and there is no more unburned fuel left.
If it wouldn't do this there would be unburned diesel in the webasto exhaust and the next time it would start this unburned fuel would produce a fair amount of white smoke.
The exhaust from the webasto heater is located at the front of the car udner the front bumper below the right headlight (european car). If the heater is on you can feel it.

When econ mode is on the heater doesn't switch on.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Yes

icon_smile_cool.gif

Dennis, what about TDI's without aircon? Do they have the heater, too? But then there's no ECON button.
(I was under the impression that the Webasto came with the aircon - don't know if the same holds for the 1.2)

Werner Huysegoms

Hi,

I have 1.2TDI without aircon, but it does have 'Econ'-button. My Audi-service says that 1.2TDI has an electrical heater. The car doesn't make such a sound as 'normal' Webastos tend to keep (burning sound and whistle).

With best regards,
Jones

thanks all, for your replies, and vast amount of knowledge, far better than the guy I spoke to at the service centre at my dealer who hadn`t a clue, and had booked it in for a technician to look at the car. You are right, the noise has only occured since the outside temperature had dropped below 5 degrees Centigrade. I will cancel the visit, which would have cost me half a days pay ! Next time I will ask you guys before making the phone call. Thanks again.

A2 TDi SE

quote:Originally posted by deheld

All TDI's are equipped with the webasto additional heater.

Depending on the country the car is exported to there is either an electrical heater, or a fuel powered heater (according to Audi Selbststudienprogramm 240). It's not clear if there is also a configuration without any additional heater.

Martin

I talked to my dealer about this sound, he suggested it could also be the electronics running check-ups/cleans so as to set everything back to normal. This seems to be a standard procedure at Audi and he told me that in some cases they themselves have to wait up to 30min before being able to do anything on the car because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back