Noise when turning wheel

driver8013

A2OC Donor
Got a noise when i turn the steering wheel left or right, i had the anti roll bar replaced and the drop links, can be heard in the car but not outside, even with the bonnet off.
has anybody had similar?
thanks

It may help if you describe the noise. I suspect its a "doing" noise like a spring being sprung. If it is then you have a top mount bearing failing. It puts a twisting action onto the front coil spring untill it finally lets it go with the "doing" sound. This also stresses the spring and can break it. In my experience its the near side that fails first due to pot holes and increased dirt from kerb side puddles etc.
I hope this helps. Mikee

Mikee is probably right (he normally is!!). but worth a visual check of the springs first to make sure one hasn't broken, it produces the same noise as a seized upper mount (because the noise is the spring not turning freely).

Steve B

Thanks Mikee, the noise does sound 'springy' i've had a look under both front wheel arched whilst someone else turn the steering wheel but can't see or hear anything.
Looks like it could be another trip to Awesome GTI.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
I have this on the N/S too.Is this a full strip down and replacement job (might as well do struts/Springs & ball joints as well)...? Has anyone got away with greasing the top mounts...?

Yes. Yes. I think this describes my problem. It is not when I go over speed humps, it's more when turning; if I'm stationary and turn the wheel left and right it makes a springy noise. Last two weekends I had both front wheels off and had a good pull around of the steering rack and ARB parts, nothing loose as I could see. I shone a torch up to the top of the coil springs but they didn't look shot. Up on axle stands the steering was smooth and silent. I guess the problem is only evident when under load.
I'll check that power steering fluid......shame you have to take the headlight out to get to it......

I have the same symptoms as you describe. I have been too both audi and a 3rd party garage that specialize on audi and vw. Very qualified garage. They have both striped the car down and checked that area around the wheel. Neither of them could find anything. I dont know if they checked other things also, but I suspect they did. So I have given up on finding the problem for now, until it gets worse or the wheel falls off.

But it would be interesting to know if you find anything.

The top mount wears due to it being a steel/rubber bonded unit and should be replaced when carrying out suspension work in the area. What does seize and become stiff in operation is the bearing attached to the top mount. The unit will not fall off but depending on it's state of wear, may break apart.

It is not a very complex job - replace all nuts and bolts whilst you're at it and choose a suspension set-up that suits your driving style - lots of options on this forum. I have two cars in the workshop at the moment requiring this job and both owners have selected very different set-ups.

blue skies
tony

Just had mine in to my local garage, they jacked it up so the wheels were hanging then turned the wheels from outside the car, turns out to be the o/s top mounting bearing, you can see the bearing juddering as the wheel is turned.
Thanks.

Just had mine in to my local garage, they jacked it up so the wheels were hanging then turned the wheels from outside the car, turns out to be the o/s top mounting bearing, you can see the bearing juddering as the wheel is turned.
Thanks.

Hi,

You would be advised to get both sides done at the same time, if one is broken the other won't be far behind!!

Steve B

Unfortunately the o/s is a pig to do as it's a real struggle to get to the three bolts behind the brake fluid reservoir and even worse if it is an earlier model with the Webasto heater too.

As advised above, definitely do both together as the n/s is easy in comparison.

Hi,

Surely this is likely to be seized top mounts?

Steve B

X2 for top mounts.

Thanks.
Was the juddering noticeable from under the wheel arch or from the top of the mount when the bonnet is removed?

The top mount wears due to it being a steel/rubber bonded unit and should be replaced when carrying out suspension work in the area. What does seize and become stiff in operation is the bearing attached to the top mount. The unit will not fall off but depending on it's state of wear, may break apart.

It is not a very complex job - replace all nuts and bolts whilst you're at it and choose a suspension set-up that suits your driving style - lots of options on this forum. I have two cars in the workshop at the moment requiring this job and both owners have selected very different set-ups.

blue skies
tony

I'm interested in these different setups. Assume you refer to replacing spring and dampers as well as bearings.
Does anyone not just fix it with a normal Audi part?

I think a large number of people look to upgrade the suspension when it comes to replacement - there are better components now than the Audi OEM. Reams of threads about various different suspension set-ups that have been tried over the years - it's been a 10year + project of owners and members of this forum to "fix" the A2's ride!

Personally, I have Koni FSD dampers and Weitec springs. Others have Monroe Reflex dampers. Others have Spidan springs...

I'm interested in these different setups. Assume you refer to replacing spring and dampers as well as bearings.
Does anyone not just fix it with a normal Audi part?

Back