None starter after head change 1.4TDi

Can anyone shed any light on this problem please? I am a time served mechanic though I've not done this as a job for 25 years. That being said I'm comfortable tackling just about anything on the A2. I recently changed the turbo which is a nightmare to change, so much so that on a 100k mile car I decided to also do the head gasket and cambelt. The turbo was easily changed with the head off. This is a 2005 car with a BHC TDi engine.
The problem is that the car won't start with the camshaft sensor plugged in but starts and runs beautifully with the sensor unplugged. I'm getting fault code 19464 and I've changed the sensor twice believing the first new unit must be faulty. I have timed the engine using the special locking tools but is it possible that not setting the torsion values using Vagcom could mean the valve timing is so far out as to cause none starting problems? I don't think it is and if this was the case I don't believe it would start with the cam sensor unplugged? In any event doesn't the cam sensor only deal with fuel timing to each cylinder? one of the cam sensor lugs did get bent on the camshaft sprocket as the head was being removed. I straightened this and don't think this should have any adverse affects unless the gap between sensor and rotating lugs is really critical?
I'm absolutely at a loss on this one now and would appreciate advice from anyone who might be able to shed light on this.

Have you access to VCDS ???....If so, please post the complete DTC.

19464 is usually an indication the the camshaft position sensor signal is out of range, so perhaps the issue is with the bent lug, but the full DTC would help.

Cheers

Jeff

Have you access to VCDS ???....If so, please post the complete DTC.

19464 is usually an indication the the camshaft position sensor signal is out of range, so perhaps the issue is with the bent lug, but the full DTC would help.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks for the quick response Jeff. I do have access to Vagcom but when I tried to use it I had issues with it crashing so am in the process of finding a new software upgrade, this was the free version from Rosstech. I have a small VAG fault code reader which I've used to access and reset codes and the fault code is as much as I have at present. what else could the full DTC tell me in relation to this code? Joe

Hi Joe,

Along with the code it should give a precise fault description, along with any suplementary details/codes. The DTC (19464) you mentioned isn't detailed on Ross-Tech's website, so it would be good to get a VCDS scan to see what gets thrown up.

I've not pulled the head off of mine, so experience is not something I can provide, but when the car fires with the sensor disconnected, is it running rough??...Could you be a couple of teeth out on the cam timing?

Cheers

Jeff

I think the problem is likely to be a conflict between the signals from the crank and cam sensors. Generally its caused by the cam timing being a tooth or two out of alignment but if you have already checked this it may be due to the damage on the camshaft tone wheel.
This post (3) shows the function of the cam and crank sensors - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?18359-Crankshaft-Speed-Sensor-1-6-FSI&p=139470#post139470

I've done the cambelt on my AMF engine so am not sure what you mean about setting the torsion value using Vagcom

Cheers Spike

Hi Jeff, no, as I said, I've used the vw locking tools so there's no way it's out by a tooth or two. This plus the fact it runs beautifully with the sensor unplugged, in fact better than its ever ran. I've had lots of experience with how cars run when the Cambelt is a tooth or two out and this one isn't. I'll caveat that and say that as the car warms up there is a loss in power but I'm assuming this is due to poor fuel timing. I would expect some issues when running with the cam sensor unplugged. It was properly timed up with the locking tools fitted and the three camshaft pulley bolts loosened whilst the cambelt was tensioned.
I'm tempted just to buy a new camshaft damper pulley but they're around £80 which is fine if the bent lug is the problem but it's a lot to spend if it isn't.

Hi Spike, thanks for responding. The torsion value is essentially the valve timing values given when you connect VAGCOM or VCDS. It allows you to get the valve timing exactly right so could be seen a fine tuning on the basic settings you achieve by using the locking tools. There are some good videos on YouTube which show this being done.

I finally resolved this but not before wasting 80 quid on a new camshaft hub. I stripped everything down again and very carefully timed the engine using the locking tools before rechecking after rotating the engine twice. Still didn't start but started with the cam sensor unplugged. I downloaded a copy of VCDS lite from Rosstech and purchased the license. Torsion value was out by -35CF. Unsure why it displays the figure in CF rather than KW but in fact this was so far out that I removed the cam pulley and moved the belt along a tooth to get the 3 adjuster bolts in the central position of their slots. Incredible that you can use the locking tools and still have the torsion value so far out after following the installation procedure to the letter.

Back