Not a new owner but new member need advice please

MrZam

Hi my 04 reg A2s flywheel is knocking now I am aware the closest price to a new clutch and DMF flywheel is around £480 that's without a release bearing. I have looked at the solid flywheel but hear of chatter noise does anyone know of a SMF that doesn't have a chatter? Apparently the kevlar plate ones are good.

Any suggestions will be more than appreciated thank you.

Hi my 04 reg A2s flywheel is knocking now I am aware the closest price to a new clutch and DMF flywheel is around £480 that's without a release bearing. I have looked at the solid flywheel but hear of chatter noise does anyone know of a SMF that doesn't have a chatter? Apparently the kevlar plate ones are good.

Any suggestions will be more than appreciated thank you.

Hi and welcome to the A2oc

Back to basics. The crankshaft does not rotate smoothly but under the microscope operates in 'fits and starts' as the crank throws induce a twisting motion when each cylinder goes through the combustion cycle. This torsional vibration causes 'chatter' from the gearbox cogs.
The dual mass flywheel is in effect a vibration damper so it's unlikely that any single mass flywheel can have the same damping effect regardless of the clutch friction material being used. Any positive effect of a Kevlar plate could only happen for a few milliseconds as the clutch bites but once engaged I don't see how it could help reduce gear chatter. It's not just the noise which is the issue as wear on the gear teeth is likely over long periods.
I suspect the 90 tdi needs a DMF because of the better low speed torque (and more torsional vibration) provided by the variable geometry turbo (and increased fuelling to match)

Cheers Spike

Back