Not all fuel filters are equal... (TDi to 02)

Kyojitsu

Finally got round to changing fuel filter on my wife's 2001 1.4 TDi which as a new car to us, I've been ploughing through the basic maintenance on.

It has the old style canister type so duly ordered a Mahle replacement off eBay. Was armed with my print ed workshop manual instructions, got the old one out after a bit of a struggle releasing the hoses and managed to transfer the old hoses to the new filter and prime with fuel. So far so good.

Back to reinstallation. It's a fiddly, messy job lying on your back trying not to spill diesel on your face but finally got everything connected and went to secure the regulator with the little cotter pin. Only it wouldn't go in. I thought maybe the regulator wasn't quite home but no amount of squeezing or swearing would get it in any further. Eventually, decided to remove new one (ball ache) and compare to old filter (Filtron). Lo and behold the collar for the regulator was too shallow by about 2-3mm. Ordered yet another filter from Eurocarparts (at an extortionate rate because I needed it next day) and the Fram filter fitted perfectly. Of course. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps anyone struggling with the job - just make sure the collar depth is correct before you dive in! Anyone else noticed discrepancies on parts from certain brands? Any to avoid at all costs?!
PXL_20210701_121614255.jpg

Unfortunate sign of the times. Pattern parts are very much a lottery. The old buyer beware phrase is very much the way to go now. Sorry you found out the hard way, but your bad luck will hopefully prevent others on here from the same mistake. I suggest that you contact the ebay seller and complain that the part is not fit for use and that you wish a full refund. If they refuse open a case against them.

Too many generic pictures in adverts, and if you look they all claim A2 compatible, quite shocking really when some parts I have seen listed are NOT EVEN FITTED ON A2's.......

Back