Not on ignition ?

SantfeKuss

Workmate wired a Alpine headunit into my 2001 A2. However, its power is on all the time, not only when the ignition is on.You have to manually switch the unit off. He said theres no wire from the ignition to connect the unit to ??????

Anyone else found this or is he telling me porkies.

SantfeKuss said:
Workmate wired a Alpine headunit into my 2001 A2. However, its power is on all the time, not only when the ignition is on.You have to manually switch the unit off. He said theres no wire from the ignition to connect the unit to ??????

Anyone else found this or is he telling me porkies.

I think this is right, I've just bought a Blaupunkt for my wife's car but thought I'd see if it fit my A2. It seems that the power lead in the A2 is always on, but in the pin position other head units expect to see the ignition-switched power lead.

I would have needed to re-wire to fit the Blaupunkt so didn't bother, perhaps another time.

The HU in my a2 is igniton switched, i'll have to have a look and see how it's wired though, IIRC it was just a case of going through the ignition barrel with a multimeter

I've put the original back in today.New unit did'nt match anyway.Thinking of putting in a Mac mini & screen in now as an mp3 player etc. Will just get the Denison iPod adaptor till then.

omitchell said:
The HU in my a2 is igniton switched, i'll have to have a look and see how it's wired though, IIRC it was just a case of going through the ignition barrel with a multimeter

That's always been my approach too.

Back