Not starting.....bit of a strange one

Hi folks, long time since I've been here! I'm a tad stumped and hope one of you mechanical types has a view on my ongoing problem. A couple of years ago the car wouldn't start. Had the car looked at by my audi technician and plugged the computer in. No codes came up, so he replaced the plugs and all was well. Fast forward 18 months and same thing happened. Replaced plugs, all fine. Fast forward 6 months, Today, started car, not starting. So off to halfrauds for some NGKs, put them in .... Nothing. Then I remembered the technician last time told me he cranked the car over without the plugs in. So I removed plugs, cranked it over a few times, replaced plugs, bingo ... Started on 3rd attempt and now starts first time.
So a few questions. Firstly, why would cranking the engine without plugs in do anything to get the car started? I've since read that I could have damaged the ignition system cranking without plugs in, if I need to do this again, how should I do it without causing damage. One of the plugs was a bit oily on the thread, I'm guessing a worn ring gumming up a plug? What do you think? All plugs looked fine in colour and gaps were spot on. Car is a petrol 1.4 with 115,000 miles on the clock. Fault lights do come on now and again, then go off, had the computer on it, not no faults are reading. Any help appreciated, kind regards, Mark

Back