Not the best day owning an A2

Allan S

What started off as a straight forward change of brakes all round ended up a bit costly.

All was going well with the front discs and pads replaced very quickly.

Problems started when one of the struts holding the hatch open decided to call it a day and down it came, crash, I now have a million piece jigsaw instead of a rear window.

That was quickly followed by the bleed nipple coming off the brake cylinder.

I started the day with brakes and glass and ended up with the car off the road.

Autoglass are out Friday to refit the glass, brake cylinder being done on Saturday and hopefully get the brakes bled and back up and running.

I was going to also get a spare key done at Timpsons but they need to order the key and have the car to them for syncing (which I can't do of course),.

Great weekend.

I had a rear window explosion last vinter in the garage. A full bucket of mosaic.:mad:
Two days later I had a new window installed on the insurance. :eek:

That must of been a shock in more ways than one. Hate to think of the job you had finding and picking up all the glass fragments. Hopefully you can claim on the insurance without impacting NCB or is cover just the front windscreen?

I'm surprised the other strut didn't at least slow the collapse to avoid shattering.

As our A2s get older this could happen with more frequencies. Are there any tale tale signs, like leaking fluids?

I was wrong, it is another spoiler, and it has the same measures as the Tdi90. I've got a new problem, now I have the possibility to ad a Votex replica spoiler on both cars. Hm...

Last edited:
I believed that the spoiler and glass came in one piece. Spoiler wasn't possible to separate from the glass.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Insurance has covered it under glass so just £75 to pay. The spoiler is separate if you shatter the glass but autoglass said it is one piece. They told me not to try and remove the bits, they will do the whole tidy up, looking forward to Friday. Lots of gunk had formed at the top of the piston so warning sign was there.

Back