Now I too have Daytime Running Lights

Finally, after much discussion, scavenging parts and many long hours in the garage, my A2 now has DRLs!

As you can see from the pics, they produce a nice strip of light which is very visible at night and quite pleasant in daylight. I have also changed the headlamp clusters reflective chrome 'lining' that runs along the horizontal and vertical sides of the cluster, to a solid, non-reflective anthracite colour. This greatly improves the beam pattern for my HID's (less beam bending all over the place) and also visually improves the look of the lights, making them more aggressive and sporty looking in line with other Audi S-Line models :rolleyes:

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

I bet some thought the A2 modding would stop once I got my track toy...!

Very impressive mate; in keeping with your body kit fitment.

Your time and effort has certainly paid off and your labour of love works well; especially in night time running.

A nice festive gift to yourself!! ;)

Cheers,

Darren

Very good Ian. I notice that VAGParts.com have started selling the S6 DRLs now. I think that with a little modification, they will fit into the front valance.

Expect a little more attention from Plod - I've been scrutinised very closely on several occasions since the clocks went back!

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers guys.. they're not yet true DRLs as for the time being I'm leaving them as side lights, to 'bed in' in case I have any problems.. I do have the loom made up ready to install them as 'ignition-on' but figured as it's cold, damp and they're new I'll leave it a while!

I drive around with my side lights always on at this time of year anyway!

oh that's what they were for!.... :)

merry christmas

bba

;) I had already made the replacement 'non-chrome' inserts, sprayed them up and had the inner wiring loom made.. all that was remaining was a set of lights to put it all in!

Have a great Christmas and New Year,

Ian

Great work Ian They look Ace ....see what a few days off work can do ....
Dont forget its xmas day tommorrow and you can come out of the Garage LOL !!!! :p

Update

Yesterday I finally go round to wiring them up as true DRLs and not replacement sidelights.. now when you turn the ignition on, the DRLs come on (without the dash illumination and rear tail lights etc). Then, turning on sidelights or parking lights work as you would expect thanks to a bit of trickery with diodes :)

they look great had seen some of these or similar on ebay but was unsure how to fit them?, was it an easy job for just side light replacement?.

cheers Phil

they look great had seen some of these or similar on ebay but was unsure how to fit them?, was it an easy job for just side light replacement?.

cheers Phil

Cheers Phil, they do look great (better in real life than the pics as Carl/Darren will no doubt agree), but out of the MANY mods to cars I've done over the years, they were the most trying of all.

If I were thinking of doing them now, I'd tell myself not to start! Lots of hours, parts sourcing and trial and error.. at one point I had 7 A2 light clusters.. yes, 7!

Yes, that's one more than even I've got!

Well done Ian, although I do prefer the ability to manually control the LED DRLs by using the switch.

Cheers,

Mike

SEVEN looks like i'll give that a miss SEVEN wow, hats off to you

Cheers Phil
Hehe.. I only have 4 now, 2 on and 2 off the car.. the others have been scrapped :rolleyes:

Yes, that's one more than even I've got!

Well done Ian, although I do prefer the ability to manually control the LED DRLs by using the switch.

Cheers,

Mike
If I need to disable the 'auto operation' I'll simply remove the fuse and they'll go back to being sidelights only.. so that option does exist, I would just rather not drive around with my rear lights, numberplate illumination and dash lighting on in order to use the DRLs ;)

DRL's - I want some ....

:D Please.
I wish I could go and buy a set for my A2.

I have read the net effect on fuel is 0.4% and the increase in emissions 0.9% - I can live with that cos they look fantastic :D I mean they save lives ;)

In case anybody is interested here is a document on the reasons to have DRL's written way back in 1997

http://www.swov.nl/rapport/r-97-36.pdf

You will have more of an impact on the environment printing the 175 pages to show the police if they stop you :D, it does state that in the UK they are beneficial at all times

Now that it looks like you've got them sorted any chance of marketing them or are just going to keep the look for yourself

Cheers Phil

Back