Numberplate screw

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Argh - my rear numberplate has a problem! One of the two nylon screws holding it in has sheared off for some reason - and of course, it's sheared so that the remaining thread on the head doens't purchase. Hence the numberplate tends to flop.

Any tips on how to remove the stuck thread? Or should I just buy some new plates and get a fitter to sort them out?

If you'r lucky, once the number plate is removed there may just be enough of the screw shank left to attack with mole grips.

Cheers Spike

If there is anything left proud, then cut a slot across the middle with a junior hacksaw and use a flat screwdriver to undo.

This will work even if it's flush, but you'll have to cut the slot with a different tool(Dremel for instance).

Cheers,

Mike

This happened with Ada when I was fitting the new plates and maybe a bit harsh, but I drilled out the nylon screw (carefully:eek:) with fine drill bits, increasing size till the offending article came away. Worked fine with a bit of patience, but Skips solution sounds safer!

You can also get stud extractors, Drill a small pilot hole in the broken screw and turn in the reverse thread extractor.

So, started trying to extract the broken nylon screw on Sunday. What a major PITA that was! Had to go down the "drill out a bit at a time" route as the nylon just wouldn't take putting a slot in the top of it. I didn't manage to get it out fully before it got dark, so will have another go this weekend. Now though the plate keeps falling off - the old stud now won't stay in the thread at all, wierd.

Back