oil leak

irfan a8

hi guys, i just purchased an a2 tdi sport to replace my tdi se, the car is tidy with up to date history of servicing etc, i noticed the smell of oil in the cabin and after checking noticed that there is an oil leak from the top right hand side of the engine, it seems to be falling onto the manifold/exhaust causing the smell. If you look at the top right corner of the engine block there is a pump maybe? which has a pipe coming out, there seems to be oil near to that i noticed that the jubilee clip attached to it was a little loose so i tightened it,(also noticed that even when tight the pipe still has movement in it) hasnt helped the situation but think it may be related to that or maybe its coming from the back of the rocker cover, are there any common places around there where an oil leak could develop? many thanks for your help in advance this is truly a great site.

irfan

My EGR valve, which is positioned at the back of the engine, is currently doing a fine job of covering the back of the engine in oil.

Air/Oil mist from the intake finds its way past the seals on the valve spindle and then finds its way out of the hole on the front of the EGR which is the reference to atmosphere for the diaphragm. Plenty about this on TDI Club forum with piccies. Solution is to replace it.

Rocker cover gaskets are also known to leak.

Have a look. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks Gary will try get it on a ramp also to see if I can find the source, I had also wondered if oil was overfilled I have ordered a new dipstick as is broken. Will keep u posted

Cheers

Irfan

Irfan,

The EGR valve can be seen from the engine bay, no ramps required. If you look at the back of the engine just underneath the big plastic cabin air inlet. Infact just round the corner from the part you describe. With a torch you should be able to see if its spewing oil.

The oil then tends to run down all those rubber hoses you describe.

Gary

hi upon further inspection it seems as though it is diesel fuel leaking and not oil,its not clear where its coming from but it could possibly be the tandem pump, my cars a 2003 tdi sport, does anyone know of any up to date solutions for this problem or anyone have one for sale?

thanks

irfan

Back