Oil Level Sensor

ksimpson

Hi,

Got the yellow Oil Sensor message on my wife's 2003 1.6 FSI. From reading it looks like a faulty oil level sensor. I was doing an oil change over the weekend so replaced it with a Meyle one from Micksgarage - it was a really simple job once you're doing an oil change. However, the light came on again today:mad:. I had a look at the connections when changing it and they looked fine. Is there anything else I need to check as it's looking like it wasn't the sensor itself? I'll stick VCDS on it later and get the exact error.

We really relied on it because it's next to impossible to read the oil level with the dipstick on the 1.6 FSI. I would just wait until the oil level light came on and stuck a litre in it. At least it's full after the oil change so there are no immediate concerns.

Did a scan tonight. It looks like a wiring problem. I don't even know where to start.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Monday, 24 November 2014, 20:30:42:54222
Control Module Part Number: 8Z0 920 980 T
Component and/or Version: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. VDO D04
Software Coding: 04442
Work Shop Code: WSC 00899
VCID: 52D72A858DF7
Additional Info: WAUZZZ8Z13N023957 AUZ7Z0B2276235
3 Faults Found:
00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
27-00 - Implausible Signal

For more accurate oil level reading , i take off bonet and check level on main dipstick.(RAC mechanic show me that) Tunnel dipstick from front hatch after top up was looking over max , but when check on one after removed bonet was little over minimum level , after correct top up light came off .

Did a scan tonight. It looks like a wiring problem. I don't even know where to start.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Monday, 24 November 2014, 20:30:42:54222
Control Module Part Number: 8Z0 920 980 T
Component and/or Version: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. VDO D04
Software Coding: 04442
Work Shop Code: WSC 00899
VCID: 52D72A858DF7
Additional Info: WAUZZZ8Z13N023957 AUZ7Z0B2276235
3 Faults Found:
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
27-00 - Implausible Signal
These probably all relate to the OLD sender.

The error codes are stored and so these were probably triggered by the faults on the old sensor.

You should clear all codes and then try again.

Steve B

These probably all relate to the OLD sender.

The error codes are stored and so these were probably triggered by the faults on the old sensor.

You should clear all codes and then try again.

Steve B

Meant to say that I cleared all codes, but the last one "Implausible Signal" kept reappearing. I wouldn't be surprised if the others are back after a short drive.

The 1.6 is a nightmare when it comes to sensors.

Meant to say that I cleared all codes, but the last one "Implausible Signal" kept reappearing. I wouldn't be surprised if the others are back after a short drive.

The 1.6 is a nightmare when it comes to sensors.

I had a new oil sensor fitted to the daughter's car and less than a year later the low oil warning came on and the dipstick level was on the full.
I booked it in to have the sender replaced (under warranty) but the next day the warning went away and has stayed away.

They are not the most reliable senders and I would never use it instead of the dipstick, engines are too expensive to let them run dry because the sender failed (as they do).

Perhaps you have one of the faulty new senders on yours, some are unreliable.

I would try to get a replacement free from the dealer you bought it from.

If that wasn't an Audi dealer then that may explain the cause?

Steve B

Thanks Steve. No, it's not a genuine Audi part. The dipstick on the car is completely unreadable so is useless. I've read others having the same problem.

I'll see how it goes since I cleared the codes, but not holding up much hope.

Thanks Steve. No, it's not a genuine Audi part. The dipstick on the car is completely unreadable so is useless. I've read others having the same problem.

I'll see how it goes since I cleared the codes, but not holding up much hope.

Ken,

I'm struggling to understand how the dipstick could possibly be unreadable.

Car stood on level ground, cold engine not run for 4 hours, remove dipstick, clean dipstick fully and carefully, dip the dipstick, look for oil wetness with the dipstick horizontal.

The only time you should have an issue is if the end of the dipstick has broken off - then the simple solution is to replace the dipstick. The correct dipstick part No. for your FSI is 8Z0 115 611 P, and cost is less than £10 inc. VAT.

Sorry to say, but if you reply on the low oil-level warning light you're asking for the inevitable.

Cheers

Jeff

I believe the dipstick on the petrol engines is the same - the TDi may be different. The handle is orange, but the tip is black. It is impossible to get an accurate reading from it. After filling the car with oil after a change, I can just about see that there's oil there and can verify by cleaning it with a paper towel, but I couldn't get an accurate reading.

BTW, still getting the Oil Sensor error on the dash.

I believe the dipstick on the petrol engines is the same - the TDi may be different. The handle is orange, but the tip is black. It is impossible to get an accurate reading from it. After filling the car with oil after a change, I can just about see that there's oil there and can verify by cleaning it with a paper towel, but I couldn't get an accurate reading.

The tip should not be black, it is supposed to be yellow/orange, black oil does not show up well on a black dipstick as you say.
So are you sure that your dipstick is ok? Perhaps it has been stained black over time, but even a black one should show the level albeit not very easily (good old steel dipsticks were good enough for many years).

Why not buy a new one, they are cheap enough even from a dealer (around £10 I think!!!

Steve B

I checked a while ago Steve. The black tip is the correct one of the 1.6. A dealer confirmed that it's still the current one and hasn't been superseded by a newer part so if I order a new one, I'll get the exact same.

It's definitely a black tip and hasn't been stained.

I checked a while ago Steve. The black tip is the correct one of the 1.6. A dealer confirmed that it's still the current one and hasn't been superseded by a newer part so if I order a new one, I'll get the exact same.

It's definitely a black tip and hasn't been stained.

Well that is a surprise, I have only ever had one 1.6 and that was just for a short while so I don't remember the dipstick.

What a silly thing to do, why design a black dipstick level readout????

But you should still be able to check using it.

Leave the dipstick out overnight and dip it in the morning just to check the level for now. That way you don't get the oil from the tube covering the dipstick.

As I said, dipsticks were normally black metal when I was a lad and you should be able to see where the oil reaches.

But the orange ones are fine!

Sorry for not knowing the 1.6 had a black tip!!! :eek:

Steve B

Attachments

• 4814827197.jpg
    4814827197.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 3,256
Last edited:
Hi , what is it then that orange dipstick on left upper side of engine ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2u_7r8V9Co

Let me know ???

It's not a dipstick.

It's a cover that blanks the pipe used to suck the oil from the sump should you wish to suck the oil out instead of draining via the sump nut.

The pipe used to syphon oil from the sump has a different length to that of the dipstick tube, and should never be used to verify the oil level.

Cheers

Jeff

Last edited:
Just to add to the lots of sound advice already given, a good light (torch, inspection lamp etc) source and a bit of careful positioning usually shows up the glossy oil 'tidemark' even on a black dipstick.
Relying on the sensor is not ideal as just opening and closing the inspection flap will cause the low oil warning lamp to go out so you never know what the actual level is.

Cheers Spike

Cheers Spike

Hi Ken,

It's not that I don't believe your findings...........but.......!

Please check the Part No. on the pull-ring of your dipstick to ensure you have the correct part for your car. I've already listed the correct Part No. earlier in this thread.

As for not being able to read a correct oil level - this is just wrong.
Some members have had issues reading the oil level due to broken or incorrect dipsticks, and yes, those who have black tips find it difficult to "see" the oil-level, but if your dipstick is fully intact and the correct type for the FSI, you will be able to see where the level is if you leave the engine standing for a while so the oil drains back into the sump.

Steve's suggestion of leaving the dipstick out of the tube overnight is also a good idea, as any oil that manages to bypass the "stop" ball will flow back into the sump.
This said, your post seems to suggest you cannot see an oil level, rather than see oil but not be able to make out where the level actually is. If this is the case (that you cannot determine any oil on the dipstick) I’d suspect the end of the dipstick has broken off.
Also, as Spike suggests, an LED torch should show a witness mark if the dipstick is intact.

As for your oil sensor issues, I don't have much in the way of constructive advice other than to use a genuine dealer-purchase sensor.
Many cheaper sensors are cheaper for a reason, and obviously they don't work out cheaper if you need to drain off good oil (or coolant in the replacement of a temperature sensor).
It is well documented that failure rates on non OEM sensors are substantially greater than OEM.

The OEM Oil Level Sensor is 1J0 907 660 C - £108.96 inc. VAT for the FSI

I hope this helps

Jeff

Last edited:
Back