Oil temperature sensor?

rlc2010

Hi all,

The yellow oil temperature sensor warning light keeps coming on as soon as I turn the car on.

Does this need replacing? (if so, does anyone have a part number, and location of this sensor?)

The nox sensor is gone, which I plan to replace soon.

I also have coolant leak / "boiling over in the expansion tank" issues at the mo.

The car doesn't overheat however. The temp in the car goes from 60 > 90 then stays there...and always has.

...so generally not good.

Any ideas, will be gratefully received.

The sensor is a combined oil level and temp unit and I think it fits on the bottom of the sump (3 bolt flange) on the petrol engines.
If the coolant is boiling over then the engine is definitely overheating. The boiling point of 50% anifreeze mix combined with the pressure cap is approx 130C. Once you loose coolant from the system the temp sensor can give false readings as its no longer sitting in the coolant flow. Check the usual places for leaks - radiator core, hoses, water pump etc.
If there are no obvious leaks and all the coolant is coming out of the expansion tank its likely to be the head gasket and in this case the loss of coolant would be from combustion gasses pressurising the system and not due to boiling.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Thanks Spike, am getting someone to look at it in the next few days hopefully. Will let you know how it goes.

I did whack a load of radweld in there a couple of weeks ago, which seemed to help at the time, but it didn't last and soon went back to emptying itself. Tempted to put more in - in the short term, but worried it mught clog up something important(if it hasnt already).

Back