Oily Spark Plug

A2B

A2OC Donor
Hi,

My 1.4 SE has been suffering from stalling problems - feels like the engine of suffercating. This week the engine started to feel 'lumpy' / not firing evenly.

I just checked the spark plugs and on removing one found it covered in wet oil. I'm worried that a piston ring must have gone.

Strangely though, I haven't noticed any excessive oil consumption and the exhaust looks clean.

Any ideas?

Although your diagnosis is sound, it's not the only possible cause.

Best bet is to get a scan done, preferably by a fellow member equipped with VCDS, as it'll be far cheaper than Audi.

Take it from there and see what is thrown up. There could be EGR problems or anyt number of other things.
True, it might be an oil leak past the rings, but I've not heard tales of this happening before and although A2s are getting older now, it is an outside shot.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for that guys.

I'm going to check the throttle and breather systems.

Analysing the oily spark plug issue further, it would seem that it was the upper part, not the internal side where the oil was as it was running down the thread as I removed it. I now think it could be a leak from the cam cover, so may require a gasket change.

Regards Paul.

Hi Paul
If the engine breather is blocked this could pressurise the cam cover and cause the gasket leak. Recommend you check this out before changing the gasket.

Cheers Spike

Back