Ok - now got A3 16" wheels. which tyres?

............do I fit? I have trawled the forum and find I'm getting confused with all the variations.

Could I ask the collective on here which would be the right tyre size to go for.

It would seem that the sizes 185/50/16 or 185/55/16 seem to come out top in my search, but can anyone explain the difference?

Also, on trawling the forum, I'm now seeing people recommending tyres with numbers starting at 205:eek: Help, which is the 'right size tyre for me?

I have just called event tyres for their help and he said I would have to refer to and official Audi dealer:(

Many thanks,

Phil

Which wheels do you actually have - a part number would enable me to give you the options (and there are options) that you need to choose from.

Cheers,

Mike

............do I fit? I have trawled the forum and find I'm getting confused with all the variations.

Could I ask the collective on here which would be the right tyre size to go for.

It would seem that the sizes 185/50/16 or 185/55/16 seem to come out top in my search, but can anyone explain the difference?

Also, on trawling the forum, I'm now seeing people recommending tyres with numbers starting at 205:eek: Help, which is the 'right size tyre for me?

I have just called event tyres for their help and he said I would have to refer to and official Audi dealer:(

Many thanks,

Phil

I know exactly what you mean!
I was in the same situation a few months ago, someone here suggested this:
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
very informative, worth taking the time to read it.

Not too confuse you even further but I eventually opted for 195/45/16 :p

Kind Regards
Mike
:)

Hiya Mike,

I don't have a part number I'm afraid,
here is the description of the wheels as advertised:

Audi S Line 5 stud PCD of 100 alloys off a 2002 A3 Turbo Sport fitted with 205/55/16 tyres.

Is this of any help?

Cheers,

Phil

Message for Mike (Skipton)

I had a look on the back of the wheels that came from the A3 and underneath the Audi logo there is a number 8L0601025Q I don't know if this is the part number you referred to.

Phil

Yes, the Q wheels are 7J x 16 (so 7 inches wide and 16 inches in diameter) with an offset 0f 44.5mm.

You can safely use 205/50 tyres on these wheels as well as the options below:

205/50 R 16
205/45 R 16
195/50 R 16

Other sizes may fit, but I'd hesitate to recommend them. The comfiest option are the 205/50 ones.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike has gone for 205/50R16 which will give you the comfiest ride and protect your rims best. They have a slightly larger rolling circumference than the stock 16" A2 tyres meaning your speedo will then read accurately without the built-in margin of error and your MPG may be slightly better than with 205/45R16 since the tyre has to do less rotations to cover the same distance.

I went for 205/45R16 purely to keep as close as possible to the original rolling circumference and therefore keep the speedo's ~3% margin of error. I would say that although I prefer the look of 205/45 when set against the side view of the car and the ride seems the same as before I have noticed my MPG drop a bit on long journeys due to the wider rubber. It corners better with the wider wheels and tyres.

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse further.

Iain

Thank you for the useful info guys. Tyres are now ordered from Event Tyres and are being fitted today.

Do you think it might be a good ides to post the reply as a 'Sticky' or faq guide to those who might be thinking about downsizing to 16 inch wheels in the future?

Cheers,

Phil

Back