Old member - New A2

TYP 8Z

After months of search, yesterday I finally managed to buy another A2, a looked-after, low mileage 2004 1.4 petrol in silver with fully working OSS.

Whilst I am super happy with my TDI, the upcoming diesel emission ban in central London (ULEZ) reluctantly forced me to convert to Petrol: I never considered buying a new car, so the choice for a petrol A2 was obvious.
So for the time being here they are, old and new side by side :)

The car drives really fine, even if it will take me a while to accept the lack of torque and power of the TDI.

IMG_4583.JPG

After months of search, yesterday I finally managed to buy another A2, a looked-after, low mileage 2004 1.4 petrol in silver with fully working OSS.

Whilst I am super happy with my TDI, the upcoming diesel emission ban in central London (ULEZ) reluctantly forced me to convert to Petrol: I never considered buying a new car, so the choice for a petrol A2 was obvious.

The car drives really fine, even if it will take me a while to accept the lack of torque and power of the TDI.

View attachment 40808

I'm glad you are sticking with the A2. I hope other TDI owners follow your lead. The A2 is too good to give up on.

I live in central London and have a 75TDi for the last five years which I totally adore but it looks like diesel cars are going to get a hammering so I am half hearted about changing to a petrol. Any advise?

I live in central London and have a 75TDi for the last five years which I totally adore but it looks like diesel cars are going to get a hammering so I am half hearted about changing to a petrol. Any advise?
Fully understand.... I too adored my TDI, invested so much money and time and I felt gutted having to switch to petrol . In 2021 ULEZ will cover pretty much all London so not much choice really. But something got to change, so I now embrace the petrol church open arms. Plus after a while one forgets about the TDI torque and appreciates more an more the smoothness of the engine and gear change. Or one can move somewhere rural ?

Last edited:
Reactions: A2K
I think the ban is on any engine below Euro 5 compliant? This is why I bought a Euro 6 BMW diesel

I think the ban is on any engine below Euro 5 compliant? This is why I bought a Euro 6 BMW diesel
Correct. Only Euro 6 diesel engines are allowed. Euro 4 for petrol, hoping it stays that way for long time.

Looking around in London these days I see so many new-ish, amazing expensive Euro 5 cars that in three years would have to just disappear...Black cabs exempted though, which makes me mad.

Last edited:
A Tesco articulated lorry took the entire passenger side of my car on Sunday in stationary traffic. Probably written off. So opportune time for me to change tack.
7a465012554e126cf60cefa37516d80c.jpg

Sent from my R7plusf using Tapatalk

But something got to change, so I now embrace the petrol church open arms. Plus after a while one forgets about the TDI torque and appreciates more an more the smoothness of the engine and gear change. Or one can move somewhere rural ?

Happy to see your coming round to the idea, for the sake of cleaner air it has to be done. The more you drive the 1.4 the more you'll fall in love with it's smooth engine, gear change, handling and will forget what went before. In time you might feel "you know what i don't feel short changed at all." Looks very nice too. I'm guessing it's an se?

unfortunately though, there is a significant dent in the roof bar just to the rear of the A pillar, to me it looks repairable too though, but not just a bolt off and on as I originally thought.

Steve B

Reactions: A2K
Happy to see your coming round to the idea, for the sake of cleaner air it has to be done. The more you drive the 1.4 the more you'll fall in love with it's smooth engine, gear change, handling and will forget what went before. In time you might feel "you know what i don't feel short changed at all." Looks very nice too. I'm guessing it's an se?

Completely agree. I am falling in love the more I drive it... and yes, it's an SE, immaculate, super smooth.

Its gone for inspection and no doubt I will hear from the insurance company very soon....

View attachment 40808
Where did you manage to find this lovely example?

Back