Open Sky: Advice On Buying

lesmel

Hi everyone

I have decided to buy an A2 with an Open Sky as a "must have" I realise there are alot of problems with these but also read the posts from the Open Sky owners and have decided to go ahead! When test driving is there anything I should look out for apart from it opening/closing smoothly, I've read that they tend to leak and living in Scotland that's not good news!!! Do you think it would be an idea to ask to take it through a car wash to test it? Or does this sound too stupid? Also if I do manage to get one at the right price (dealer won't come down on his) can you advise in the simplest way possible, the best way to look after it.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Mel

Hi Mel, welcome to the A2oc
Leaking Open Sky roofs are quite rare and it generally only happens if the panels don't close properly. I'd not bother with a car wash test, just check they all fit flush with no gaps or raised edges when the roof is closed. Even in good condition the roof may make a bit of a 'cracking' noise, particularly during the second stage of opening.
I think many roof failures can be attributed to the panels sticking on the seals causing them to 'rack' or the cables snap so keep all the seals clean and lubricated with silicone grease

Cheers Spike

My advice would be - be prepared to accept it will break down and not open.

Think worse case scenario then you won't be disapointed when/if it fails. A closed open sky is still a nice thing.

Another bit of advice - you CAN get discount, it's a buyers market and any dealer would be a fool to let someone walk away for the sake of a small discount - no matter what they say!

Thanks for reply. I would be ok if the roof failed when it was shut! and like you say be prepared for that happening then no disappointment. If I look after it then hopfully it should last longer.

I'm asking the dealer to come down £300 as this would bring it to the top of my budget but he says he had already reduced it by £500 a few weeks ago and shut me down completely when I told him my budget. I'm happy to wait for another to pop up.

Back