Open Sky Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

YipYazoo

Hello All,

As mentioned in other posts, I'm currently an owner of a VW Lupo 1.4 TDI PD Sport, but am now considering the purchase of an Audi A2. Indeed, I wanted to buy one a couple of years ago, but was beyond the budget I set out.

Back to the subject at hand, I have an opportunity to purchase a fully kitted out X-Reg (2001) A2 1.4 SE, complete with the Open Sky roof option.

I read in an AutoExpress article (re-read here on this web site, thank you!) early models had problems with the seal(s) used for the Open Sky system. Is this still the case and have you experienced this personally?

The article mentions to look for signs of dampness in the interior and check for rust on the gas struts to the hatchback. Anything else I should be on the lookout for?

Look forward to your feeback.

Cheers,

YipYazoo

The only problems I have had with my Open Sky System were a rattle of the sunblind, but that was fixed by the dealer under warranty...
You should check if the A2 has the newer radio (with two knobs) or the older one (with one knob in the middle). If you want to retrofit an aftermarket unit, it is easier with an older model, because from 8/2001 on the radios were controlled via the CAN-Bus-System...

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, TV, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

Frido,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I'll make a note of the radio (i.e. head-end) type when I go in to do a test drive. Indeed, will also check for any rattling or buzzing of the sunblind.

Jus!

YipYazoo

Hi YipYazoo
A word of warning about the open sky -its made up of two fixed panels and two that move. If either of the fixed ones gets broken it means ordering a new roof at £1400 plus fitting 3 days labour. If either of the moveable pieces gets broken they cost £425 each from Audi plus fitting. My roof packed up under warrantee but whilst I was waiting for a new on to come from Germany, some oik smashed the larger of the moveable pieces, which I had to pay for. The car was away for four days - came back with the trim incorrectly fitted and a rattle. Since then it has been in and fixed but the same rattle has come back, so it’s going back in yet again.
I trust that my experience in this matter is a one off, but one thing is for sure – I will be getting shut of the car before the warrantee is up.

TDI SE, AMULET RED, OPEN SKY,1/2 LEATHER, BOSE. UK OWNERS PAGE 11

HT, didnt your insurance cover it? Sorry, I dont mean to sound patronising, but I dont fancy having the same experience! Did you try your insurers?

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

Phil,
I had transferred my protected no claims to insure my MX5 and had only just started a second policy to cover the A2. I weighed up the costs of claiming or paying myself and decided to dig deep.
My local Audi dealer tried to capitalise on the fact that one piece of glass was broken and told me that it was not available on its own, so I would have to claim for a whole new roof on my insurance. I checked with the parts dept from the dealer where I bought the car and was told that there were 5 in the country, available next day at £425. When pushed he did not want to get involved with supplying a part that may case ructions with another dealer but gave me the part No. When challenged, the service manager from my local dealer was very apologetic and agreed to supply the part at cost for £325 – hence I paid for it myself.
The irony was that the brand new piece of glass would apparently be sent back with rest of the old open sky for the insurance investigation and payment. In reality I suspect that it was never bought and my local dealer claimed that the original was dropped when it was removed – am I paranoid or what!

TDI SE, AMULET RED, OPEN SKY,1/2 LEATHER, BOSE. UK OWNERS PAGE 11

Isnt it funny how the complexity of a situation increases exponentially with the level of dealer involvement?!
Thanks HT, I was just a little concerned that the OS roof may have been something that insurers have found a way of including in the small print, and so excluding from cover!

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

Frido, HT and Phil;

Thanks for the anecdotal information. May prove useful in assessing whether going for a fully kitted out A2, is a wallet friendly choice!

The one I'm looking at is an Audi Approved, X-Reg A2 1.4 SE.

I'll have a careful look at the full-service history and any additional materials the owner may include with the folder. Also, Direct Line has a pretty good value-for-money policy, which should cover eventuals like potentially exponential nightmares (e.g. Open Sky).

Cheers!

YipYazoo

Frido, HT, Phil et al;

Well, I did it. Expecting delivery of the X-Reg (2001) A2 1.4 SE this coming Wednesday (10th of March).

Thanks to all who have provided me kindly and friendly advice and experience, as I contemplated becoming an A2 owner.

I spent some time looking over the car (much to the consternation and embarrassment of my girlfriend) and I had a careful look at the seals of the Open Sky system, the gas-struts to the hatch and for any signs of water damage in the vacinity. All looked clean, bar the seals which look like they've aged a bit, but otherwise intact. Probably a bit of silicon seal should lubricate and preserve them longer.

Cheers!

YipYazoo

On my new to me 2001 1.4 SE with open sky, the roof sticks every now and then, at the point where it tries to lift the second glass panel back. Judging by the creaking, the glass is sticking to the seal, and if I encourage it back with my hand, it continues to open normally - has anyone experienced this and have any advice?

Many thanks

Youngri, yes I did. I had it fixed under warranty. A bit frightening when it sticks isn't it? I haven't tried it this winter, but they get it back if it sticks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back