Open Sky: Yes or No?

Hi there folks,

I've long had a crush on the A2 but couldn't afford one when they came out. Finally I'm going to take the plunge - very exciting. I think I want a TDi in SE spec, not silver (sorry - too dull!) and my wife's very keen that it should have the panoramic roof.

Here's my question: is the open sky roof more trouble than it's worth? I love the idea, and the car looks great with this feature, but exploring this forum ... well, obviously it can be trouble.

So, open sky owners, I'd really appreciate your advice: is it worth it? Or am I just creating problems for myself down the line?

Last edited:
My personal view is to buy a car on condition first. If OpenSky comes also at the right price so be it, but I wouldn't go all out to only buy a car with OpenSky.

Open Sky is great and it was a must have for me. If it breaks you can always just leave it shut and still enjoy the view. Check if it opens and closes smoothly without juddering.

I'm broadly with Dan on this however IF an A2 came along without the 'sky but otherwise the absolute dogs nuts then go for that.

Thanks, all three of you. The open sky's a 'must have' for my wife - and I'm happy to go with that, really, even though it makes finding a car about 10 times harder.

What I just want to check is that the sunroof isn't generally thought to be a liability. I was speaking to a dealing selling what looks like a nice 2005 car today and he said the roof was working fine at the moment, but in his opinion it was a known problem area, and anyone who bought an A2 with one, ought to do it with their eyes open. So I thought I'd draw on the collective wisdom of the A2OC.

Incidentally, if anyone has pictures of the roof open it would be great to see them.

OpenSky is nice to have...we were lucky with ours but i pay for warranty which includes the roof :)

For me i did want one with opensky but at the time they just wasn't right so went for one without, but if you do find one with and it works aslong as you keep the maintance up (as you know that they can have problems) you should be fine

Cheers Phil

PS you could always retro fit one as someone has done:eek::eek:(man has he got big ;))

Agree with the sentiments of the others, but if you can find one with OS and the car is straight then go for it.

Just check it thoroughly, I grease the moving parts and the track regulary to keep it smooth running.

I opened it last weekend for the first time in probably 6 months and it was reluctant to push the second part back, so I have cleaned it down and greased and it's as smooth as anything again.

They can break but like anything else it's the chance you may take.

Looking forward to this sunny weekend :cool: cruising with the roof open!!

Like many others, Opensky was high on my shopping list when searching for an A2 -I'd heard stories about poor reliability and costly repairs from a mate who works for Audi, but barring the chance of leaks (that seem few and far between judging from posts on here) the prospect of an A2 with an inoperative opensky system was still attractive, as a fixed glass roof would still look better than a tin top and with climate control you have a much airier cabin space.
I've seen many A2's with OSS that don't have climate control (e.g. the one I just posted on the spotted forum) If there's no climate control and the OSS isnt working you have a recipe for a very uncomfortable cabin on the odd occasion we have hot sunny weather ;)

I already had an A2 which I was happy with, but then the one I have came up, I wasn't specifically looking for the sunroof either but I do like it now although it tends to be a little more noisy than without on motorways. Also it does get a lot warmer inside during sunny weather, but that doesn't happen that much !

Even if you can't open it, still I would choose it over no opensky.

Ok, another question. Pictures of the A2 roof open seem to be a bit scarce, but the ones I have seen surprise me. The fact that there are two glass panels, which open, and the 'open sky' name suggest a vast expanse of open roof, yet what I've seen suggests rather less than that.

Does the A2's sunroof actually offer a larger opening than you'd typically find on other cars?

from inside, the sun blind roof panel prevents from seeing the whole opening, and so, what you see looks like a "typical sunroof"
Fortunately, the whole sunblind + fram can be removed, and then you see all the opening (or glass roof closed)

from inside, the sun blind roof panel prevents from seeing the whole opening, and so, what you see looks like a "typical sunroof"
Fortunately, the whole sunblind + fram can be removed, and then you see all the opening (or glass roof closed)

Ok, interesting. Is that sunblind frame something you can relatively easily take out / replace, or is it more of a major job, and once it's out, it's out?

Ok, interesting. Is that sunblind frame something you can relatively easily take out / replace, or is it more of a major job, and once it's out, it's out?
It's easy to take it out. I've never replaced it back, but I suspect it's more fiddly than to take it out. In fact, it clips in 12-15 places.
But honestly, I don't see why you would want to replace it once it's taken out, unless you live in Spain, or unless you prefer a not transparent roof -but then, why buy an OpenSky ? For the look from outside maybe, then...?

Same here, i wanted one with opensky, bose etc but i also wanted low milage and for my budget i couldnt afford both so i went for a low milage basic car and bought the big wheels and other kit seperately

it all depends where your priorities are
Chris

Having worked for many years fitting aftermarket sunroofs, being involved with the design and intergration of OE sunroof modules and serviced many, many sunroofs, the best advice i can offer is to USE the sunroof as often as possible. Cycling the unit is the best way to keep trouble at bay and an excellent "early warning" should things start to go pear shape. Also, and this is a BIG ALSO, periodic - annual should suffice - clean and lubricate the tracks and cable channels and dont forget to water test the evacuation tubes. All too often debris and insects (read spiders) will help to block and cause the water management system to overflow. Hope that helps.

Oh yes, although our A2 has no sunroof, i dearly miss it and am now looking at retro-fitting a unit to it - not open sky though. But thats a long way off.

Blue skies - and now you know why ;)

Tony

Liebe OSS...I chose it over a tdi without

I've just got an OpenSky and have only used the car last weekend so far and I'm very happy I got it :D I did a lot of motorway miles and kept it closed there (mpg!) but climate takes care of the temp and the glass still lets the light in :) I did have open along the lanes and then was equally glad I got electric rear windows so I could open everything :cool:

For me the main reason for wanting OpenSky is wintertime, to see as much light as possible. I'd also been considering getting another cabrio but with the roof up you don't get the light in (my budget wouldn't stretch to an Eos:(). You can't take the back seats out of a cabrio and turn it into a minivan either :p

If I ever need a vehicle with more interior space it'll have to be a mk5 Golf estate with an even bigger glass roof! In the meantime I'll have to try and fit the roller blind from one into my A2

Back