Opensky repair cost

Following my previous posts on the subject of my non-functioning opensky roof, I can now pass on the results of Southampton Audi's 'extensive' 5 minute exploration of the problem.

Car needs new roof cassette unit plus new motor - total cost fitted £2,050!
Around £800 of that is labour charge.

My car is a Y reg 2001, so in my book that makes it a totally uneconomic repair. Best just to consider it a car with a fixed glass roof, and run it into the ground, as who would want to buy it like this?

What they said was that along with the motor rapidly clicking and not driving the roof forward/back, the glass panels were slewing (which I knew). However, when I use the manual wind key, although very stiff, the roof does close normally. I still think that a new motor plus alot of the right lubricant may bring the roof back to life. Trouble is the motor is £200+ which makes it an expensive experiment (still scouring ebay for one)

As often seems to be the case with modern cars, there is little scope to actually repair items like this, with complete replacement being the only option.

As always, any comments/input from members of this forum greatly appreciated.

It's interesting, because the drive pinion on the motor is a steel gear, and this is the part that engages with the steel drive cables. However, the gearbox inside the motor has plastic gears. In my case they all look ok, with the only sign of wear being on the steel pinion, but even this doesn't look that bad. What I can see of the cables also appears in reasonable condition, and what I originally thought was greasy fluff in the cables is apparently supposed to be there!

I have a new motor of a Lupo (v.cheap of ebay), which looks identical and is only a couple of digits different in part numbers. I was hoping to at least establish is the drive pinion was at fault with this, although I am sure that the electronics inside will be different. The mounting positions are identical and it does fit. It drives perfectly when plugged into the A2 loom, but I had no movement when installed. I think I will have more of a play with this...

Thanks for the comments.

Good point, you could be right - I will check motor rating and count number of teeth etc. just to confirm.

I will not be beaten until I fix this myself!

Our car has been written off and has a complete and working open sky installation - Don't know where Churchill send their write-offs to auction (it is probably a cat D.

Ian

OpenSky roof assy, eBay bargain? Euro 600 - BuyItNow y

Hi all.

Repeat of post to previous string.

Found a spare OpenSky on eBay for someone to keep for a rainy day or to replace a washboard solid roof? Anyone interested?

Complete roof assy with fixed/moving glass, frame and motor with breaker.

Description: Audi A2 Panoramaschiebedach mit Motor, Antenne
Item: 150009789020

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...DME:B:EF:UK:11

Ian,

Sorry about your 'end of life' A2 news.

If really written off, I'd be interested in sports seats leather interior. However, sounds too good to write off!

Ciao,

Erling

My A2 goes in tomorrow for the modification to the open sky. Just hoping it does the trick, the panel that has been sticking up for the last 6 weeks or so lets in so much wind noise it will be like having a new quieter car to drive if they can mend it. ... Otherwise new roof!.
Will let you know the result.

Hi Heather

Thanks for the update. Are Audi going to contribute to the repair?

Cheers Spike

Spike, Audi have agreed to pay for the modification to the roof and if it doesnt work will pay a contribution to a new roof as an act of good will. So off to a good start!

Hopefully the newly developed repair kit will work. See that Audi are interested enough to offer support.

With the sun shining you will enjoy the roof being open, wind noise apart!
Please keep us all informed re the result. Best of luck.

Once stuck open, can it be closed?

I, like Monkeyfinger, have a Y reg A2. My roof has stuck open just a fraction of an inch on the left side, and won't close. Pressing the motor button gets no response. Clearly Monkeyfinger has demonstrated repair is uneconomic. Anyone got tips on how to force the roof back closed again? I am nervous about opening the roof in case it gets stuck further open.

If you give the roof a shove on the side that is lagging behind, whilst an able assistant presses the button, this may do the trick, as it sounds like the alignment has gone.

Failing this, if you release the panel with the lights and Opensky button, you'll find a crank handle under there - follow the instructions in the owners manual to use the crank and manually close the roof.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
A number of UK A2s have had this fitted as part of a repair (mine included) - the current list price for the parts in total is around the £140 mark.

Cheers,

Mike

Tried the manual crank, but the roof seems to be jammed solid. It's a job for the garage. Thanks for the advice.

Can only audi fit it or can I buy the kit myself or the someone like steath and fit it for me? How many hours do you think it takes, would it stop the sunroof from grinding/juddering a little near the close and help it to last longer?

A number of UK A2s have had this fitted as part of a repair (mine included) - the current list price for the parts in total is around the £140 mark.

Mike,

Is this worth having installed as a precautionary measure?

On another note and from another thread, what light oil would you suggest for cleaning off existing OpenSky seal lube?

Thanks,

Iain

Rancethebus

I have just purchased a silver 2001 A2 1.4 SE with grey leather, open-sky. Audi Navigation + Sat Nav, 6CD changer etc., I have tried to operate the open-sky but as it starts the procedure, the front panel starts to lift and then there is a loud rapid clunking noise. Is this the same problem as everyone else and requires a new motor and cassette? The fact that the open-sky won't open doesn't really bother me but as its there I like it to work.
Has anyone suggested to Audi that this is a design fault and that the vehicles require a recall?

Back