OpenSky Sunroof Strangeness

SteveR

Hi All,
This is my second only question on the A2 knowledge space, I'm not sure anyone will have a definitive answer but worth an ask. I'm on my second A2 in a year first one 1.4 TDI all good but as I hated driving a diesel I have changed to a fine 1.4 Sport petrol model which is averaging 47.4mpg so I'm happy enough.

OK enough waffle and down to the OPENSKY!
Yesterday I parked up at work on a slight slope (nose of car facing downhill) and slid the sunroof back into place. The roof got almost shut i.e. it was still tilted and there was a slight gap at the front and there was a loud bang/crack sort of snapping sound. The roof stopped right there, obviously I thought the worst and after a quick look at the user manual thought I would wind it manually in. OK so I dropped into the office and then back out to have a word with the car, I thought drive it into the back car park and fix it there out of site. Now as I drove round I held my finger on the close button and once round the corner the roof slid back into place as normal.

I ran the roof back and forward this morning maybe four or five times and it works perfectly apart from it sounds like there is perhaps a bit of extra travel somewhere before the roof engages and opens and same when closing.

Anyone have any idea what might have happened and if I should be looking to get something replaced etc? Anyone who has had similar and can shed any light I would be happy to hear from.

Thanks

I have EXACTLY the same problem, but no solution so far. It happened 2 weeks ago. In my case it wasn't such a loud crack, but still a crack sound that occured when the roof was fully shut, or in the very last milimeters of travel, so I didn't have to wind it manually.
Now when I press the button, the OpenSky slides OK but starts to move after 1-2 seconds delay (both ways).
You haven't probably noticed, but there's also another symptom : it doesn't open as far as it should. Before the "snap", the rear OpenSky panel came closer to the tailgate glass. Now it's around 10cm more forward than before.
I hope that the broken part can be replaced easily without special tools and without having to order all the mecanism !

OK - just checked and that's identicle the roof stops 10 to 15cm before it should. Obviously when it made the cracking sound something let go I wonder what? Always nice to know I'm not the only one on these things though thanks for the comment, will let you know if I discover anything.

There are many problems with the OpenSky roof and a repair kit with uprated parts is available.

I am currently chasing Audi UK to see if those with affected roof mechanisms can get any kind of help with repairs and will post back, hopefully in the near future.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the info and I would be very interested to know if Audi are willing to get involved on this, I can't imagine it but it would be a great gesture from them.

In the mean time the 'repair kit with up rated parts' you mention. Is this available and have you any idea how tricky it is to fit? Don't worry if not but its something I would potentially get on with and sort out asap if I can. thanks again Steve

As far as I recall, only one member (Heather) has been lucky enough to have an open sky roof fixed free of charge outside warranty - see link for more info
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3983
Its a shame the roof supplier, Arvin Meritor, cannot offer spares or a repair service now the A2 is out of production and Audi seem to have little interest. Seems crazy that if something as simple as one of the cables snaps Audi would replace the whole roof frame.

Cheers Spike

Arvin Meritor have produced the repair kit willingly. I know as I spoke to them directly regarding this on behalf another member, they were extremely helpful and very open. They are first tier suppliers to Audi and are binded by this contract so Mike is quite correct in trying to get help from Audi rather than Meritor.

It doesn't help folk with a faulty roof but the A2 was one of the first applications for a panoramic roof and much has been learnt. But we all want the A2 roof to be workable after all it was an expensive but very desirable option.

I have to say that my roof has always worked perfectly but I keep the seals well lubricated as otherwise there is a tendancy for the glass to stick to the rubber.

The roof repair kit is readily available but for some reason is not widely known about even by dealers. Mike is trying to address this.

Hi Mark, thanks I'm going to look into getting one of these kits and chatting to a guy I know who is somewhat of a genius with all things fiddly to see if he can take the job on.
He works with a race team run by a mate of mine and fabricates parts for, well anything really and is incredibly skilled.

If Audi were willing to get involved then that would be the most ideal route as far as I’m concerned but is it something I wait to happen? Any idea where the negotiation process is at? As mentioned in another thread is it worth all open sky fault members signing something so that Audi are aware of the numbers involved? Is it a WatchDog type scenario if nothing is achieved by being nice I wonder?

My roof was running absolutely perfectly and was well lubricated I had no sticking at all from any part of it – it just went pop! Potentially the angle the car was at when I closed it affected it, if the car had been on the flat and square it possibly would have been fine!? Thing I have noticed is that due to there being a second or two travel either end of the process the roof although located correctly is not locked in, so now rattles slightly when on the move so I think it needs attention asap.

Hold fire on the Watchdog ideas (they're not on air anyway at the moment!) as I'd rather see what can be worked out through negotiation first - I managed to get a very good solution for UK owners with regard to the door cracking issues.

I hope to get an answer in the next month or so, but things are quite different now compared to the door issue - all A2s are now at least 3 years old and as such are well out of warranty (unless you have kept up a warranty package). The number of A2s with OpenSky is also very small, possibly as little as 1000 in the UK and the number affected if even smaller.

I will keep chasing this on behalf of those affected and will report back in time.

Cheers,

Mike

Yeh no worries re watchdog it's a vey very last resort I always feel, to be fair I'm not sure we have a leg to stand on being out of warranty etc and the numbers you suggest. Good luck with Audi and thanks for your efforts!

My roof was running absolutely perfectly and was well lubricated I had no sticking at all from any part of it – it just went pop! Potentially the angle the car was at when I closed it affected it, if the car had been on the flat and square it possibly would have been fine!? Thing I have noticed is that due to there being a second or two travel either end of the process the roof although located correctly is not locked in, so now rattles slightly when on the move so I think it needs attention asap.
It seems that you have a little more play in your Opensky than I have, say 1 or 2 cm, because mine shuts completely and the locking slots are just engaged, but by little.
BTW when mine "cracked", my A2 was parked on a flat and level surface.

Are the locking slots the pieces on the left and right of the sunroof which slide onto and over the metal pieces protruding from the glass panel? If they are then mine just about locate and then I can push them with my finger about another 2 to 3 cm. The roof shuts completly but I'm not sure it's fully locked in place. Still it's rained all day and the cars dry so I'm not gonna lose sleep over it, is just a car afterall :)

Re opensky problems

Hi Guys
Going off track a little bit. My roof gave up about 5 months ago. Seems as if the right hand side cable has snapped. Anyone know cost of parts to repair(and where to get them from) and how bad a job is it? Cardiff Audi told me that the whole roof mechanism would have to be taken out and a 'special' jig put on the car while the whole roof was out of car for repair.
Thanks
Steve
I'm an Electrical Engineer so should be able to repair myself, if roof can stay in car

Last edited:
Hi Steve
There very few parts available for the roof mechanism and the cables are not listed as spares. As Cardiff Audi indicated the whole roof frame would need replacing (parts would cost around £1000) with the use of a special jig. As a club member converted his car from a metal roof to open sky, maybe the job can be done without the jig - but this is not much help when the cables are not available as spares
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5791&highlight=fitting+open+roof

Cheers Spike

I end up filled with dread every time I read one of these open sky threads :eek:

Ours is OK for now (touch wood) but the rear piece has stuck a few times when it's abeen warmer - whats the best thing to treat the rubber seals with to help avoid this issue?

I'm starting to feel a bit ill reading all these OpenSky failures too - incidentally I saw a new Audi A3 estate today and that had a full panoramic sunroof, does anyone know if they have problems?

Mine seems to work ok, although there does seem to a small bit of "judder" about 5cm in when you open it. I've just bought some silicone grease so intend to clean it all and re-lubricate, although with the weather on the turn I doubt I'll be opening it again until next June!

Must clean or remove my screen too - saw MPGLover's screen and mine is utterly filthy in comparison - must have had a smoker in there as a previous owner, it's got a yellowish tinge - yuk!

whats the best thing to treat the rubber seals with to help avoid this issue?

I too would love to knowwhat I should use to lubricate it. On warm days ours makes a bit of a thud as it lifts the rear pane out.

Is PTFE spray the sort of thing?

Iain

Mike, skipton recommends marley universal silicone lubricant sz100, you can find it from b&q.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...efview=search&ts=1224760199853&isSearch=false

I will point out that if you cant find it in the plumbing and drainage section that it may be behind the tills in a safe, because it is a glue. It took me 45 mins to find it with about 5 other staff, neither knowing where to find this glue.

Put it on with your finger after you have cleaned the rubber with some WD40 to get rid of the crap on there

Just a word of clarification after Richards post - the Marley Silicon Lubricant is NOT a glue, it's just that some stores treat it in the same way as restricted products such as some glues (and brush cleaners etc).

It will NOT stick your roof together and it DOES NOT smell either.

I've been using it since 2004 when I got my current A2 from new and it has kept the roof rubbers in tip top condition.

Cheers,

Mike

Back